VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Parking lights

VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Parking lights Empty Parking lights

Post by VanninBlaino Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:13 pm

I know I read an article on here somewhere for the Chevys to have the parking lights and headlights on at the same time. Is it the same for Dodges, or is it possible? Also, will i still be able to only have my parking lights on? I cant find the Chevy link anymore, so if someone could post that or a diagram or something, that'd be awesome.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Parking lights Empty Re: Parking lights

Post by Vanish Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:14 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I would say the parking light wire coming from your front lights that connects to your headlight switch could be dark green,,,,,,and the tail light wire is Brown,,,so hook the parking lights to the tail lights with a jumper or a patch cord,,,,,the Chevys have a empty tail light slot so I unplug the parking light wire and stick it on the tail light terminal,,,,,I would imagine that newer versions of the switch has the extra slot or circuit to put those front lights on with the headlights,,,,,but jump those 2 wires together and see if this plan works for you,,,,,
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Post by VanninBlaino Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Alright. Where do all these hook up at? Under the dash drivers side somewhere? I'll try to trace the wires in the morning. I hate having a bulky heater under the dash sometimes, blocks everything.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:12 pm

That would be the connector on the headlight switch,,,you need to take it out,,,,see if you see a P for the parking lights and a R for the tail lights stamped on the switch,,,,,and the switch will probably come out like this,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25436-64-econoline-electrical-help

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:27 am

The Dodges (at least my '64) dont have a different terminal on the headlight switch that you can connect the wire for the front park lights to. What you need to do is solder a wire from the rear park light terminal to the front park light terminal on the switch itself so they are both powered through the rear park light circuit when the headlights are on. You need to be sure to solder the wire as low as possible so the connector can still be pushed on the switch all the way. I am going to do this to mine eventually.

And yes, donivan is right, the switch will come out of the dash just like the econoline link he posted up. Same basic principle anyway.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:08 am

I'm thinking they made a law that you need front driving lights around 1967,,,,,so maybe a headlight switch from 67-70 would be set up already for it,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:32 pm