VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
NipRing
cculella
7 posters

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Empty Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion

Post by cculella Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Like the title says, I am looking to replace my manual choke carb with a electric choke carb for my 1965 230 straight six. Winter is coming fast and it would be nice to have a faster starting van.

So far in my research, I have found a carb from a 70's chevy that work, but it was on eBay and I didn't win the auction. So I searched for the same carb elsewhere online and found out that the model of carb I was looking for has been renamed and has other companies making a similar model with different numbers. It's all very confusing and I don't know enough to be throwing money around for a few different carbs to see which works. Here is what I found in my journey:

http://thecarburetorwarehouse.com/Partdetails.aspx?Part=3-835&App=N

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/TMC0/1491.oap?year=1977&make=Chevrolet&model=G20&vi=1045167&ck=Search_carburetor_02431_1045167_-1&keyword=carburetor&pt=02431&ppt=C0359

I need to know if either of these will work or if there is another option that I have not found yet. Any help is appreciated.

- Charlie
    NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Empty Re: Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion

Post by NipRing Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Charlie i wish i had the answer for you as i am in the exact same boat (65/230). I'll be checking this thread daily. Hopefully someone knows!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Empty Re: Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:01 pm

The real automatic choke 6 cylinder carburetors came on 2nd Gens, they are Rochester Monojets,,, those chokes come on when it is cold however, you need to have something to let them know when to come off,,,,there are electric ones that are just heaters to warm up the chokes, but the 1st van ones have a thermostatic unit that bolts onto the exhaust manifold and there is a rod that goes up and opens and closes the choke,,,,,,but the question is,,,,do you have the holes tapped into the exhaust manifold so an automatic choke will bolt on and then you use a 2nd Gen carb with it?

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Rich_110
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

i'm not sure if my manifold has the required holes for the temp rod. I did find something(spiral coil of metal that looks like a thermostat) right in the middle of the photo, but its on the manifold right next to the carb. See the image below. In the photo, the carb is at the top left and the front of the engine would be to the bottom right.

I'm thinking it might be easier and more dependable to find and install an electric carb, due to the fact that I wouldn't have to change out or tap a manifold. Do you know of which electric choke carbs would work for our vans?

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  23ijmyu
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:56 pm

That Part in above foto is called a "Divorced Choke" just make a rod from it to the carb choke rod(lever) and make sure the divorced choke works properly- if not replace it. Or=?? add an electric choke to carb ??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm

i don't even know what I am looking at,,,,,pull back a little and let me see what carb you have on there,,,,I think I see a choke pull off and a thermostatic spring choke and maybe a manual choke cable? I have repaired a lot of engine fires and a lot of them were from the electric choke,,,,its a heater,,,,on all the time,,,,to keep the choke open,,,, some have timers to shut them off and hook them to the oil sending unit to make it come on with the oil pressure,,,,,so what's wrong with a manual choke,,,,too much work for you to pull the knob? The chokes are all the same,,,its just that how you turn them off is different,,,,,I have never even seen a Tomco carburetor,,,,,our vans come with Rochester B, Carter YF and Rochester Monojets,,,,and I am talking about 1 barrel-- 6 cylinder engines,,,,I would like to see better pictures of what you got,,,,,manual chokes have been around for a 100 years,,,they work good,,,,I have one that I have been pulling out for the last 500,000 miles,,,,,but lets see what you got,,,,that don't look like no Van carb to me that you got,,,,,,is that an EGR Valve there?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Here is a 6 cylinder automatic choke manifold,,,,,there are 2 holes to mount the choke on,,,,,one on top on that center port of the manifold,,,,the other under the intake,next to the heat riser,,,,,,,

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Repai135
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Repai136
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

the carb with the electric choke will work on the
    230/250 engines, just need 12 volt ignition to the
    choke, no real need for the divorced model. the electric
    model was made to simplify the operation of the choke.
    the pics of the carb that cc has liks to are a late model
    monojet, probably mid to late 70`s, that came on cars and
    truck/ vans with the six. buy it wire it and adjust it
    should work just fine.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Here is a real 2nd Gennifer 6 cylinder automatic choke set up,,,,,,

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Repai137
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:37 pm

The engine was "rebuilt" by a friend of the previous owner. So it seems there have been some modifications that make it hard to diagnose. I will try and get some zoomed out photos of what I am working with when it is daylight.

So the only engine mods that I am going to do is a HEI distributor and an auto choke carb. Not that it is unreliable now, but I think that would take a few possible issues out of the equation and get some better/smoother mpg while I am at it.

As far as knowing what I am doing, I have only worked on modern VW's. I am mechanical, but by no means a mechanic. So I know how these engines work on a basic level, but I was just introduced to this engine in January and have been trying to learn as much as possible. Hopefully making it more rock solid as I go.

So I will get the photos and get everyone's opinion from there.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 pm

It kind of looks like someone could not fix an automatic choke and tried to convert it to a manual,,,,so bring on the pictures so we can see what you got,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 pm

I spoke with a couple of mechanic friends of mine about the benefits of an automatic choke. They both, at different times, pretty much said the same thing. It's bolting a heater to the side of something that's full of gas. And typically when someone brings in a car with carb. problems, its because the electric choke isn’t working right.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm

,,,,,I am just concerned that he could be buying a $260 carburetor just because the choke on his is out of adjustment,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:52 am

I do so agree with donnivan = What we all are experienceing is the lack of parts guys & esp.= mechanic's that are not old school experienced. These newbies are not knowleageable
    on our older vehicles & what made them run. The choke issue is an easy one to actually look at when its cold - start tye engine & again watch it work9or not??) - or easier is to take the divorced choke off - & boil some watse on stove & drop it in - watch closely- If that coil of metal moves quite a bit - its usually good & just needs hooked up. UNless=- someone has installed a different one or diff =carb?? and it needs to work in reverse?? Tahke a simple look to see how it works?
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:03 am

So this is what I am working with:

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Juetjo

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  1z52eqc

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Dm7inn

As of right now, the choke is very finicky. Most of the time, when starting it, I have to hold it closed manually(two fingers on the lever on the side of the carb) to get it to start in a timely manner. Otherwise it's a 10 minute cranking session. The choke cable is probably in need of adjustment. I am looking for a more reliable carb setup. Whether that's electric, divorced or manual, anything has to be better than the one I have. Maybe it just needs a rebuild or a serious tune-up. I don't know, that's why I am asking you guys. Let me know what you all think and if you need any other pictures/angles.

- Charlie
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:54 am

There you go,,,,that is an automatic choke Rochester B carburetor,,,,and someone has put a manual choke cable on it and it's jammed into the choke pull off,,,,,and what have they done????screwed that choke assembly into the intake with self tapping screws????the choke cable goes on the other side,,,,,this is all wrong! Take that top pipe off, does the choke plate really close when you pull the choke out? And they are depending on the heat from a cold intake manifold to make the choke come off??? That set up is a real bad case of Van repair cruelty,,, but we can make it right,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am

This is what the manual choke cable set up should be,,,,,,the cable comes up and hooks into the hole in the lever,,,,you pull the choke knob, it pulls the lever down which closes the choke plate,,,,,,do you have a picture of what the backside of your carburetor looks like,,,,,we need to identify what you got so we can decide how to fix this mess,,,,,

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  Repai138
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Well $%#&!!! No wonder it was hard to figure anything out. Also from reading your post and others, I have noticed that the choke knob works backward. You push it down to close it and pull it out to open it. Most of the time the cable gets stuck or the accelerator levers on the back prevent it from fully closing or opening. I also noticed that there is a tube or wire that goes from the base of the carb over to the base of the distributor. I am not sure exactly the function or if is a leftover from the auto-choke situation. If you guys could look over the photos and let me know your opinions on what I can do to correct my situation. Click on the photos to get to the full size.

Ok, so I tried to get as many shots from various angles as I could and label everything as I went. Let me know if you need other angles or areas shot.

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  30img4382.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  48img4384.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  53img4385.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  42img4388.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  20img4389.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  32img4390.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  44img4394.th

Thanks again.

- Charlie
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:30 pm

You should of got the operating manual for the van when you bought it,,,,,that " you need to push the choke in to start it, then pull it out after the engine warms up" is an important thing to know,,,,,I am thinking if you add a choke from a 2nd Gen, like I posted, onto the exhaust manifold and hook it in the hole that the choke cable is now in, that could fix your problem,,,,,see if those bolts under the 2 fuel filter hose clamps can come out,,,,,Is that engine even a van engine? If the spark plugs come out with a 5/8" socket---it ain't.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:39 pm

You might have 3 vacuum chambers on that engine,,,,the one on the distributor is the vacuum advance,,,it needs to be hooked to the carburetor,,,,that one by the choke cable is the pull off,,,,it should pull the choke when you start the engine,,,and what about below it,,,,is there another vacuum chamber down there,,,take me a picture,,,,I am just giving you the general information right now,,,,,we will get down to details when you are ready,,,,,,
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 pm

The choke is definitely set up backwards from the way it should be.

I checked the spark plugs and they don't fit a 5/8" socket.

There isn't any other vacuum chambers below the carb or in that general area. There is a hose that comes off the lower manifold that has been capped off. I wonder if that is what you are talking about and maybe it was capped because the manual choke cable was installed instead.

Take a look at the pictures, I have circled the capped hose. Also, I do believe that there is a spot for the divorced choke rod to attach to the manifold, I would just need to find one of those sensors to bolt on.

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  79img4395.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  37img4398.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  43img4400.th

Manual Choke to Electric Choke Carburetor Conversion  64img4401.th

Thanks for all the help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 pm

So,,,,,,when the choke knob is down, is the choke plate closed,,,,and does it start? That 1st picture of the capped off hose has a bolt holding a bar to something,,,thats what I want to see,,,the part it is holding on below the carb,,,,,that cut out is for the choke,,,it bolts down between the 2 manifolds and has a rod that goes up to the linkage above that the fake cable and pull off is connected to,,,,On the last picture, to the left of the circle is your Coolant Temperature switch and its wire on it....unplug that pull off if it has a hose on it and see if it makes the choke work better,,,,
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 am

When the choke knob is down the plate closes sort of. It never makes it all the way closed by just pushing the knob. It helps if I actually hold the plate closed(via the linkage) when I go to start the engine.

I will try and get some more photos of the bolt above the capped hose. It's hard to get down in there for pictures.

So I have the correct manifold for the choke rod. That's one good thing so far. I will try and start it with the Coolant Temperature switch unplugged and see if it makes a difference.

Since it seems that this carb has been abused, would it make sense to purchase one like you have and get it professionally installed? Or do you think this can be salvaged with some TLC?

The previous owner gave me a bunch of extra parts that have come off the van over the years. One of them was a manifold. I'll look through the boxes of stuff and see if that choke sensor and rod are included.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 am

I was just pointing out the temperature switch in your picture,it has nothing to do with the choke,,,,,,the REAL choke goes next to it between the manifolds,,,,,the engine won't start unless the choke is closed, so you got to fix that problem for sure,,,that manifold is not the right one for the van,,,,that round plastic thing hooked up above the choke cable is the choke pull off,,,,,,it and the choke cable are enemies,,,,,,the choke cable wants to close the choke, the pull off wants to pull it open,,,,so make sure it aint pulling the choke open, or stopping it from closing as soon as the engine starts,,,it has a hose on it and it has a rod on it so check that it is not stopping the choke cable from doing its job,,,,,,it is ONLY needed if you got an automatic choke,,,,,NEVER with a manual choke.There aint much to adding an automatic choke to your carb,,,,,slide it down between the manifolds, put the screws in,,,unscrew that choke cable from the carb,,,,,stick the rod that comes up out of the automatic choke into the hole that the cable was in and put a clip on it,,,,,you will probably be done,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm