VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Digz
HandiVanMan
6 posters

Wiring up electric choke?

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Wiring up electric choke? Empty Wiring up electric choke?

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 pm

I have a edelbrock carburetor with an electric chock that a am installing on a 350 engine. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can pull the hot wire and ground wire from to hook up to the choke?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Wiring up electric choke? Empty Re: Wiring up electric choke?

Post by Digz Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:08 am

The ground can go back to itself, the power should be on a keyed/power-on circuit and fused. There might be other ways on power but thats the minimum I'd think. And ignore where the choke is set on this pic. think im at a couple marks forward of center right now.
    Wiring up electric choke? Ground10
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:10 am

the ground can be any metal structure that is clean, the chassis should be grounded already...as far as the hot you need to find a ignition switched hot wire. What are you putting it in ?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:31 am

I am putting in in my 1969 Gmc Handi Van. It has an electronic distribuuter.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 am

I seem to recall that I used to pull the hot wire from the fuse box. But it's been quite a while ago. I am just wanting to be on the safe side and get some good advice from you guys. Thanks for the help.
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:58 am

you want it to be on the switched circuit. i would go to the fuse block to see if you have a switched accessory slot if not you can tap off any of the pink wires in the dash harness.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 am

Will check it out. It has the old glass fuses and has some accessory slots on the fuse block. I have checked them with a tester before but I cant rember if any of them had no power with the switch off. Thanks for your help
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 am

if you cant get one @ fuse block?? (should be able to) go to a key switch (switched on) circuit & run from there =WITH a fuse inline to choke.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 am

The electric chokeshould not be on a switched conection to the fuse box. If you do this the choke will begin to heat and open anytime the key is on. Like wise the "run" circuit from the ignition switch is OK but also problematic and not the best choice. These will cause the choke to open out of phase with the actual engine tempature. or posibly open completely even before the engine is started and is still stone cold.
    There was a time when GM conected the electric choke to the "RUN" circuit of the ignition switch but even that proved to be crap.
    Finally in the early 70,s GM copied off Ford and it was realised the electric chokeshould be wired to the back of the alternator to the wire that puts out power out only when the engine is actually running (not just ignition turnrd on). This way the choke will have power "only"if and when the engine is actually running. If my memory serves me right I think that is the dummy light wire of the alternator, You need to check the alternator terminals for powe both when the alternator turning and not turning to figure out which to connect to.

Its a fact that most people I have heard complain about their electric choke and say they are garbage are the ones with it wired to the wrong power source.

hope this helps
    M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:02 pm

I got nothing good to say about electric chokes,,,,I have had to repair a lot of burnt up wiring looms because the wire fell off, got caught in the valve cover or heating element shorted out,,,,that wire is just a small heater,,,,always on,,,,right on the carburetor. HOWEVER,,,them hotrodders will splice into the 12 volt section of the ignition switch, (like the Battery terminal on the HEI Distributer) to run it,,,,but it SURELY needs a fuse,,,,I would say the choke heater draws 3 amps,,,,you don't want to put it on the idiot light,,,,that turns on the regulator,,,the light will probably stay on all the time if you add a choke on it,,,,,,The R terminal is one that only turns on when the alternator is charging, but that wire controls the Field current to the alternator,,,,running a wire to the fuse box is probably the safest way to avoid any damage that an electric choke could cause,,,,,Dodge uses a 3 terminal oil pressure sender that only powers up the electric choke heater when there is oil pressure,,,,I think that sender would fit a Chevy,,,,you would add battery to 1 terminal, 1 would go to the oil pressure light if you had one,,,,and the last terminal would send 12 volts to the choke heater ONLY if there is oil pressure,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:11 pm

I like that oil pressure switch idea. It would work well with a 1 wire Alt and in theory you wouldn't even have to run it thru the dash. it could run on its own feed from any Battery source.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Wiring up electric choke? Omni_o10
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 pm

I remember the three wire oil sender used just for that on GM cars in the mid 70,s. Not to be confused with the three wire oil presure switch that cut off ignition with low oil presure.
    The ones that were hooked up to the alternator I think were conected to an unused stator terminal or something like that. I guess you have to have the right alternator for it.Thats why I said you have to test and find out for yourself. You might find an old wiring diagram to conferm it.
    I also agree, a fuse or something needs to be used for circuit protection.
    But the main point is it needs to be connected to a place where there is power only when the engine is actually running or your choke will give you problems.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:45 pm

You are right about that,,,,,as soon as the choke heater gets power, the meter is running,,,,5 minutes later, the heater opens the choke,,,,,you better be on the road,,,,,,and if you wire it to the ignition, even if you kill the engine, the meter keeps running,,,,,,your time will be up and the choke will be wide open. Then you sit there and let the choke cool off and close and put more time on your meter,,,,,,
    whopman
    whopman

Post by whopman Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:58 am

i am liking this thread. Question?? if you tapped off a fused ignition source and went through a toggle switch located on the dash and only let the power flow to the choke when the toggle was activated wouldn't that be the same as the oil pressure switch except with manual control ?
    kinda like an electric manual choke ?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:39 am

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that the electric choke is designed for power to continually run to keep the choke open correct? I think that is why most manufactures of electric choke assembly's recommend connecting to a 12 volt ignition controlled fuse with 12 volts of continual power. I most defiantly agree with Donivan65 that either way you run your power source you will want to put an inline fuse link. I think that I might just go with a manual choke. It seems to be the easiest and safest way to go.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:02 am

Your right. The electric is just to pull the choke open, The choke is actually set by the throttle linkage before you start it. After playing with it this season I am having no problems with it now. I do need to up my fast idle a bit yet tho.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:53 am

Edelbrock has a fast idle screw under the bottom of the throttle you just open it wide open and it's under the bottom. I don't know if the quadrajet has one or not. My problem is after my van sits for a few days without being fired up it looses it's prime. I then have to open the dog house, remove the breather and choke it to get it fired up. This is in both winter & summer. I have replaced the fuel pump all of the rubber gas hoses new fuel filter in the carb inlet and at the back of the tank. I have spayed carb cleaner and starting fluid around the carb at the bottom where it bolts on to the intake and about everywhere else to check for bad gaskets and nothing. I bought a edelbrock 1406 carb with an electric choke that I am planning to replace the original carb with. I haven't inspected the choke on the quad yet but I think that the choke works off of vacuum pressure. I hate to dump my quad but if I can't get the choke working properly I am gonna have to switch em out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 am

There is a spring that closes the choke plate when it is cold,,,,,,as heat is applied to it, it loosens up and pulls the choke open,,,,,,the spring and the heat are 2 different circuits,,,,,and a choke is only for starting,,,,as soon as the engine starts, you need another circuit to run the engine,,,,the engine needs air to run,,,,,the choke needs to open up and let some air in,,,,the spring holds it closed,,,,so there is a vacuum operated pull off to open the choke plate about 1/8" to let some air in,,,,,all all these circuits need to work together,,,,,they need to be in adjustment,,,,and it's pretty complicated to match the heat to the air, to the RPM as it changes until the choke is out of the picture when the engine is warmed up enough for the carburetor to take over the RPM and fuel mixture. Manual chokes are simple,,,,,pull or push the knob until you get the engine to start and run like you want,,,,,,Automatic chokes are OK,,,,,,they use the heat from the engine to control the choke,,,,, those Electric chokes don't have ways to get the heat from the engine up to the choke,,,,,so they add a little heater that warms up the spring so it will open,,,,,the other systems are part of the engine,,,,the electric heater is not,,,,,it don't care or depend on what the rest of the engine is doing,,,,,,its just a heater,,,,a wire that is shorted out so it gets hot,,,,,but if you take it away or shut it off, I would think the spring would chill out and start closing and that will start shutting down the air flow as well as pull the fast idle cam up to increase the idle.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Here is a choke heater,,,,,,the wire connects to a hot plate under the spring,,,,, the spring is wound up so it closes the choke plate when it is cold, then, since the spring is bimetallic, it unwinds as it gets heat from the hot plate and that lets the choke open.

Wiring up electric choke? Repai173
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks for the pic and info Donivan65. That's a educational pic and explanation on how the electric choke system works.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:58 pm

for me the manual choke is the best and most economical, just dont let your wife drive your car........2corrosive

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:11 pm