VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
panelmanrd
donivan65
eldo
7 posters

In desperate need of a fuse block...

eldo
    eldo

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2011-09-20

In desperate need of a fuse block... Empty In desperate need of a fuse block...

Post by eldo Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I really need a (not rusty) fuse block for my Gen II van, can anyone help?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

In desperate need of a fuse block... Empty Re: In desperate need of a fuse block...

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm

,,,,,all you will probably find is another 40 year old rusty fuse box,,,,,,you would be better off going to a wrecking yard and getting a newer one off a van or pick up with the push in fuses,,,,,

In desperate need of a fuse block... Workin55
    eldo
    eldo

In desperate need of a fuse block... Empty Re: In desperate need of a fuse block...

Post by eldo Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah, I know it. I may just get a "blank" one form Princess Auto. They have one lead for "power in" and 6 or 7 leads that run out to whatever you're powering (lights, accessories, heater, etc...) I just thought installing a "stock" one might be easier (just unplug old one and plug in "new" one... In my heart I know what I should really do though...
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 pm

I had heard that chevy trucks 68/72 had the same
    fuse panel that the 2nd gens have, wonder if
    brothers trucks or lmc trucks have them new?
    eldo
    eldo

Post by eldo Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 am

I tried brothers... no luck, I'll try LMC...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 am

Any kind will work,,,,I kind of like these Nissan ones,,,,you could go get a Ford headlight switch, it has the fuse box on it,,,,,,you can see the Chevy box has poor connections on the back that rust and come loose and cause all kinds of problems,,,,

In desperate need of a fuse block... Fuse_b10

In desperate need of a fuse block... Repai118
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:42 am

It don't get much better than a Nissan fuse box with 10 and 8 gauge buss bar feed wires,,,,,

In desperate need of a fuse block... Nissan10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

[i]Just a thought=????????????= we all suffer from the rusted fuse box delema!! In thinking back - the problem stems from out windshields leaking. We many times overlook this - when all we need is to seal the windshield gasket. Ok now for the fuse boxes=Ive in the past used sulfraic acid & a few other types acid- avail @ lowes / home depot in small quanities. Pyt some in a plastic spray bottle & when the fuse box is out -spray it inside & out. Having a water bucket / hose handy to wash when its cleaned. also some compressed ari tp blow dry or that hair dryer thats sitting around really is best as it will dry the box good . Just be careful when using any type acid-ie:= gloves & face mask & such. doesnt take long for the acid to eat that rust away too. Remember the motorcycle shops have been cleaning the fuel tanks like this for years. Just an old suggestion - yet the real condition of your fuse box will determine its cleanibg, or replacement with new or salvage auto parts- Happy Vanning.
    eldo
    eldo

Post by eldo Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Wow, lots of great suggestions... My fusebox is shot, so cleaning/refurbishing is out. I need a new one. I like the idea of upgrading to an ATC fuse style from a later model something or other. I just replaced my windshield yesterday, new seal and everything, fixed a couple rust holes in the frame too, and it still leaks. I may try to use RTV silicone inside the outer edge/lip of the windshield rubber.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:47 pm

You might as well get rid of it,,,,,it is way underpowered for the stuff we add on our vans,,,,,the heat loosens up the rivets and is the big problem and the amount of amperes flowing through the spade terminals on 12 gauge buss wires just makes it worst.....
    Wrong Way
    Wrong Way

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2011-08-13

Post by Wrong Way Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Hitting the salvage playground tomorrow to finish stripping a 69. I will grab the fuse box if it is any good and let you know.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:17 pm

isnt that search function great?? just what i was looking for.
    whats that nissan panel out of sir? or does it really matter? gonna hit the jy this weekend and im on the prowl for one, maybe a couple so i can play first and get real latter.
    what should i look for?? imports, domestic, anything in particular?
    im rewiring my van and want to have everything i need first and then start building the harness...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 pm

The Nissan is probably from the 1980's,,,,just look under the hood of any car,,,,,get as much wiring with it as possible,,,,the newer, the better,,,,unscrew it and see that the bottom is in good condition,,,find something that looks easy to mount and has enough circuits to suit you,,,,a push in fuse type,,,,the bigger the wires going to it, the better,,,,,you are just looking for something newer, in good condition, with enough fuses in it for EVERYTHING you want to put in your van,,,,they all do the same job,,,its just how they mount that makes them different,,,,and they are right there on the wheelwell on most vehicles for you to pick from,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:44 pm

gracias señor!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

In desperate need of a fuse block... Repai187

In desperate need of a fuse block... Repai186
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm

My 1969 Gmc Handi Van has a rusty fuse block in it but luckily I got a 1969 Gmc parts van that came with it that has one without a speck of rust on it. I have not had any problems with mine but when & if the time comes I'm prepared... I also have a 1969 Chevrolet truck & the fuse blocks are not the same as the vans... I would suggest to anyone that has an early van where it be a Ford, Chevy, GMC or dodge that you buy a parts van or two for spare parts!!!
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I have saw a lot of rusty fuse blocks on these old vans....

Last edited by HandiVanMan on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Big Dog
    Big Dog

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2011-08-22

Post by Big Dog Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Doing all the salvage work is one way to go, but some times its hard to trust the old wiring. I was looking into ordering a complete new set of wires and fuse block and I ran across Ron Francis Wiring. When I emailed them to tell them what I was doing to my G10 they emailed me back to tell me for about $475 I could have all brand new wires, connectors, panel... everything and it even comes cut to the right lengths. I think that is how I will be doing up my old van... even comes with connectors for the GPS and back up camera that I wanted to add.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm