VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Spinning Seats

Spinning Seats Empty Spinning Seats

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Been looking for a decent pair of seat for a while now, but haven't found much. Found these tonight http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUCKET-SEAT-SPICE-DIRECT-FIT-NEW-LOW-BACK-PART-/270792652639?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0c7ff75f . I was hoping to go super budget which meant a lot less than these, but for being brand new these seem like a deal.

This also got me thinking. I want my seats to spin around. Just trying to think about how to fab this up. I don't care if they can slide. Any suggestions.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Spinning Seats Empty Re: Spinning Seats

Post by sasktrini Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 pm

I have a pair of pedestals that I stripped out of my 85 Chev conversion van, but I don't have pics right now. Cheapest alternative is to find seats in the salvage yard that swivel and articulate any way you want. Then either redo those seats or replace them. You can basically have the mounts adapted to hold whatever seats you want.

The seats you found would remind me of the plush-style art-deco kitchen table and chairs design of the 70's, if they rotated!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:43 am

You might want to give this guy a call. He's parting out a Fiero and maybe the seats are good. These bolt in very well to our vans.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2531163187.html

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Spinning Seats Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 am

I don't want the Fiero seats. I really want some low back seats.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 am

Fiero seats are ideal for front buckets to fit onto the stock mounts with little modification.

But I think you want to put the sweet buckets on swivel pedestals in the rear of the van, right?

I will have to try to find a pic of my pedestals, I don't have them here anymore. I don't think they would be too complicated to fab up.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:50 am

I have a panel van and use it for work and camping, I don't plan on ever having any seats in the back. I thought it would be nice to have seats that spin so we could sit in the van when camping with some space to put my feet up. Once that mattress is in the back there's no space for a chair anywhere. Plus the mattress sits on a platform above the wheel wells and theres not quite enough space between the top of the mattress and the roof to sit up. I have some ideas to fix it but those are at the end of the list.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 am

Link

Here's a link to do some brainstorming. I fear you will need to do some serious fabbing in order to get the fronts to swivel. With the wheelwells, doghouse and battery box, I can't imagine it working too well... it's hard just to get fixed front seats to fit!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 am

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed link)
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 am

Great idea if it wasn't for all the obstruction from the doghouse. My old VW camper had a rotating passenger seat that made camping more comfy. Have thought one might put the front seats on a big hinge and let them ford back and then just sit in them as such. Don't know how comfy they would be. Also, since the hinge would be in the back I don't think it would compromise safety too much if using seat belts underway. Good luck with the idea, please post what comes of it, okay?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 am

The seats would have to be about 6" wide and you would have to raise your legs up over the doghouse to do that. The dog house is a major obstruction. Some people add a seat facing towards the rear of the van directly in back of the front seats.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:50 am

You could use bicycle seats, LOL.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am

what you need is a seat that has a back that leans in both directions, like the old trolley cars that got to the end of the line, instead of turning around, they just tilted the seat back the other direction (bottom didn’t move)
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:49 am

Really don't know how to swivel around doghouse. Could be on of those spring loaded pedastals that raise up, spin then let down.

Was thinking as I have the low backs, I could just mount them on a hinge (hinge at back of seat) then just flip backwards making the old back of the seat the new bottom. Don't know that the padding would hold up but it's an interesting idea. Would need some pin to hold down in accident yet most accidents would only force seat forward so a sturdy hinge would be pretty safe. And pretty safe in these old vans is probably safe enough considering.

Anybody try this yet?
    bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by bumpbug Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:01 pm

What about fold down boat seats ? seat and bed.
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=72067&pdesc=Overtons_Deluxe_Lounge_Boat_Seat&aID=601C1A&merchID=4006#

Sorry I couldn't post the picture.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:02 am