VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
kgdb
EconoCarl
fmc56
7 posters

disk brake conversionn

disk brake conversionn Empty disk brake conversionn

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi,
    I have a 1966 econoline window van with 14" wheels (heavy duty version with inline 6cyl 240 and 9" rear end and am wondering what the best disk brake kit is as far as ease of installation and i want to be able to use the 14" rims currently on the vehicle after the kit is installed.
    thanks
    Steve
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

disk brake conversionn Empty Re: disk brake conversionn

Post by fmc56 Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 am

D&D will work with 14" wheels. The AMC conversions will not work with the stock 14" wheels.
    Fred
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:22 am

Here's Dennis's website: http://www.dddiscbrakes.com/
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-04

Post by kgdb Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:56 am

I highly recommend the D&D set up. Very easy install and good to go with your 14's.

kgdb
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:53 pm

holy crap.....did D and D raise their prices... i dont remember them being that expensive a year ago or so.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:36 pm

There was an increase Jan 1 of this year if I remember correctly. Dennis had posted a sale prior to that letting everyone know it was coming. Everybodys costs go up at some point.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 pm

i get that... but in my eyes that kit went from "yea, i think thats worth it" to "My God....I guess its plan B now" It seemed like before the kit was 5 or 600 bucks for everything...now over 900 bucks...wheew. Maybe Dennis will have a sale someday lol. No disrespect to Dennis...he can charge a million dollars for the kit if he wants to.

Its all good. Smile
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:33 am

Actually the price only increased a measly $30 on Jan. 1st of this year. You can save some money by buying just the brackets and finding the rest of the parts yourself locally. Dennis has always been happy to supply the part numbers for those wanting to do it theirself. I think your a little confused on the pricing though cuz the master disc kit according to the D and D website is $609. The $909 price is the master disc kit PLUS the dual master cylinder conversion also.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 am

lol...you are right. my bad....i was comparing apples to oranges. might have to go with plan A again 609 seem fair.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 am

Just to clear the air the disc brake kit is still around $600.00 but if you want the M/C with it it is just above $900.00. His prices only went up around $30.00 for the M/C alone and the disc brake kit alone.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:57 am

Thanks for all the info everyone!!! it looks like a nice kit though a bit pricey...is it a complete kit or are other parts needed?? Also I was wondering if it would be another option to switch the front to a power drum setup?? I just want the van to be able to stop when needed. The brakes right now are scary

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 am

Steve, no other parts should be needed and you will have a very nice brake system. The power brakes would entail a lot more work and DDD Brakes are located in Oregon not that far from you.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:12 am

I had planned on buying the full kit, although the postage price put me off, it was about the same again on top to get it to the UK. But once i drove my van i was really impressed with the drum brakes....! I will be doing something about the single master cylinder, but may stick to drum brakes for mine, as they work REALLY well.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I purchased the Master Cylinder kit and Basic kit from DDDiscbrakes. Spent less than $700 and hes going to send me the list for everything else I need. Rotars, calipers, brake lines etc... Once im done I should spend less than $900 and have front disc stopping power.
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-04

Post by kgdb Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Rayallen wrote:I purchased the Master Cylinder kit and Basic kit from DDDiscbrakes. Spent less than $700 and hes going to send me the list for everything else I need. Rotars, calipers, brake lines etc... Once im done I should spend less than $900 and have front disc stopping power.

Good choice, you will not be disappointed. I went with the D&D set up but went with a power brake booster and master.

kgdb

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:31 pm