VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Disk Brake Conversion Kit?

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Disk Brake Conversion Kit? Empty Re: Disk Brake Conversion Kit?

Post by BILLS66 Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:07 pm

I will get the specs on master cyl, lines and the rest of the parts on the rest of the stuff used on my disk brakes ,I will tell you the brakes work excellent and thier were no adjustments whatsoever just one very long brake bleeding session and that was it! Bill
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Well I just got back from the shop doing my disk brakes and they are almost thru plumbing the brake lines won't be long before they are done.and yes there are modifications.Mainly from this conversion and one a friend of mine did they are relocating the shock mount set up a little and the sway bar clearance when switching to a dual master cylinder(and cutting out the end of the master cyl bracket on the 1st gens) everything else seems to go right. Bill
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Ya a pic from a few days ago and yes I am excited Iv'e wanted to do disk brakes for a while. Bill
    Disk Brake Conversion Kit? 002-6
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:19 pm

From what I know (and that is not much) the M1D set up is superior to the set up going on my van! That being said I will give a full report on the disk set up going on my van when it's done with part #s kit whatever I can get. right now the disk's ,brackets and calipers are installed with no real mods and no issues ,only mod was machining the steering arm down where the bracket bolts to just to be safe on clearance issues with the springs (probably would have been fine as it was) now they are on to the master cyl and stuff I will report all the details . Oh and bondobill on vcvc did a front disk conversion a while back using a kit for a 58 chev pu and it has worked great since . Bill
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:40 pm

I have nothing against kits, obviously, but @500$ a whack , that would be like paying 300$ for the M1 brackets. mass produced means less cost to me. And the M1s require no mods at all. I'd like to know what just the brackets cost. I know this may be comparing apples to oranges, but I just like the idea of replacing a rotor that is seperate from the hub.
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:56 pm

There have been two custom kit's floating around for a while, but the brackets are hard to find. Typically they are referred to as the Trans-AM or Nova brackets. The Trans-AM brackets have a bend in them, and the Nova brackets are cut from flat steel. Both of these brackets have been used by vanners for more then a few years and have proven themselves to be safe and reliable. But the conversion isn't simply a bolt on solution, you will be researching the rest of the pieces, they don't come with a simple shopping list of other parts. You will be learning about master cylinder bores, proportioning valves, residual valves, brake lines, brake hoses...

Have no fear though, the other vanners on this site are very helpful when it comes to deciding whats best for your setup.

This was recently posted, but I don't know anything about the kit. You may ask Bills66, he may be able to answer your questions.

BILLS66 wrote:Stopped by the shop today and the disk brake install is on the schedule 2 days from now ,getting excited about getting the van back!! One of the members on vcvc called cpp and it looks like they now have a kit available for our vans! Here is what he posted. Bill

Front brake kit from CPP!!!! I called CPP Tech line and the guy I spoke with put me on hold and went and spoke with the engineer that made this "front disk brake" kit. He told me that he went to the junk yard, found a first gen, took the front spindle back to the shop and now has the capability of mass producing this kit for $499.00. It uses a 1969-72 Chevelle rotor,(GM A body) and a 1982-94 S10 caliper. If you would like to purchase this kit. Call Mario directly at CPP; 800-522-5004 ext 126. It is a new kit and not everyone knows about it at CPP, so call Mario. The pic below of the 4 bolt zinc plated bracket that looks like it will fit our vans....... is what was produced.

Disk Brake Conversion Kit? Empty Disk Brake Conversion Kit?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:59 am

The older Chevy Trucks had straight axle front ends, and I'm just wondering if this kit for the older trucks might also work on our 1st and 2nd Gen straight axle front ends?

Brothers '47 to '59 Deluxe 5 Lug Disk Brake Kit

Anyone up to speed on this?

Did Chevy use that big pile of old front ends they had laying around, on our vans? Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:51 am