VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

WELDER QUESTION

Bear
    Bear

Number of posts : 849
    Registration date : 2010-11-23

WELDER QUESTION Empty WELDER QUESTION

Post by Bear Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:32 pm

need advice on what and how big of a welder to buy.wanting a mig-welder , use to have a rather large one at work a miller but don,t know how big it was i know to big for what i want it for.i can weld and run one like most of us learened from ground up.but to know what size and power i,m stupid.i need it to finnish my van the most i would weld in size is the axles for the 70 4x4 the spring perchers and shock mounts and other van size things. i got a harbor fright 90amp 110 vt i use on sheet metal but i don,t think that would do what i want to do.anyway any advice would be helpfull
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

WELDER QUESTION Empty Re: WELDER QUESTION

Post by econopoor Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm

I like at least a 165 or a 185 amp mig. 220 volt. That will do most fab work you will run into on a vehicle. The price really gets up when you go above these. You don't really need much more.

Duane in Tennessee

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 am

I just recently went through that same thought process. My local welder supply store helped me make up my mind.
    The machine I bought is a Millermatic 211 Autoset with MVP. To break it down in easier to digest information here is what sold me on the welder.
    The MVP means multi voltage plug (I think thats what it stands for anyway) which basically means that the machine can operate off of 110 or 220 depending on which plug I have connected to the end of the power cable. I do not have to make any other changes or settings on the machine to change power input. Its a really nice feature, and makes it great for garage/shop/field work because you can plug it in just about anywhere.
    At 110 input the machine will weld up to 1/4" material single pass. At 220 it will weld up to 3/8" material single pass, which I have found to be perfect for projects I have done, to include stretching/shrinking drag links and tie rods, sheet metal repairs, frame repairs, and a ton of other things in between.
    I bought this one to replace a harbor freight Mig 110 (Pile o garbage). It has about the same footprint, just a bit taller than the HF jobber. Basically it is their most powerful machine in the compact lineup. The next model up, the 212 is a full sized machine, which was too large for my needs.
    If I want to weld stainless steel all I have to do is use a different gas (100% argon) and put a roll of stainless in the normal spool spot. Quite convenient.
    With the addition of a spool gun ($200 option) I can weld aluminum with the machine. It too will require a different gas mixture but that is going to be required no matter what you use to weld aluminum.
    I paid $1200 for mine, but that was complete and included a full 3' tall bottle of gas and replacements for wear items as well. It is a very nice machine and well worth the money I spent on it. I would recommend it to anybody in the market for sure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:38 pm