VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
jdlaugh
delraydoug
6 posters

what would be the best all around good welder to buy ?

delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

what would be the best all around good welder to buy ? Empty what would be the best all around good welder to buy ?

Post by delraydoug Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:35 am

what would be a good all around welder to buy
    just need one for occasional use in my hobby shop . for repairing body panels and floors (sheet metal) and welding angle iron.  Mig - Tig
    looking at the " miller maxstar 150 sth"   tig\stick i like the small size everything back in box when not useing idea.   what are you guys welding with ? was told not to waist money on cheap wire flux mig welder would not be happy
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

what would be the best all around good welder to buy ? Empty Re: what would be the best all around good welder to buy ?

Post by jdlaugh Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Most experts recommend the most expensive unit you can afford. Very Happy Tig has a steeper learning curve and tends to be way more expensive than Mig, but is more flexible. I bought a cheap Craftsman Mig with the mixed gas option many years ago. It's served me well over the years, but I do wish I had spent more money on one of the brand names like Miller, Lincoln or Hobart.

I'd love to have a Tig but haven't been able to justify the expense since my little Mig has handled just about everything I've thrown at it.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

what would be the best all around good welder to buy ? Empty Re: what would be the best all around good welder to buy ?

Post by econopoor Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:45 pm

I've had a few over the years. I like my Miller the best. I used a Century 165 welder I bought on clearance at Sam's club for many years. I had some repairs done under warranty but beside that it gave excellent service. I'd stick with a 240 volt welder. Anything less just doesn't cut it. I really like this new Miller 215. It does stick, mig, and tig. Accepts a spool gun for welding aluminum. It's pretty expensive but very versatile. Buy a shielding gas bottle too. Flux core just doesn't cut it for body work. Stick with name brands so you can buy parts and for warranty.

Duane.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:25 am

I have a small Miller wire feed MIG, with Co2/Argon shielding gas. It runs on 110 house current, so its very handy to be able to plug it in anywhere. It is great for sheet metal, and I can weld up to 1/4" metal, so it works great on the frame. Basically, its perfect for anything on the van.

You don't need a 240 v welder unless you are doing heavier steel.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:44 pm

I've got a Miller 180 Mig with shielding gas, 220 volt...... I hemmed a hawed for years, shopped, priced obsessed, shopped some more.....
    When I listed priorities for what I wanted from a welder, I could not justify going with a cheap chinese unit....
    My priorities:
    1) Reliably good welding results
    2) Easy to use and get good results
    3) Parts, service, and accessories readily available FOREVER
    4) big enough unit to handle ANY welding job I may have, but also able to do sheet metal
    5) Made in USA

I bought the unit from a local industrial supply that also services Miller equipment and I've been real happy with the unit (it's never needed anything)
    Spent less than $900 on the rig about six years ago.

While it is possible to pay too much to get a same result, I generally find with complex machinery, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:34 pm

I have both a Lincoln 225 stick and a cheap Chinese wire feed. I use both and couldn't pick just one. when welding anything heavy or structural, I use the stick for better penetration. the wire feed works o.k. but if/when it dies, I will get something better. was on sale at harbor scrap for less than a hundred. well worth it and easy to transport plus runs on 110. if money is tight and I need it that day, I would buy another but would rather spend more and get something better.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Your choice of welder depends on what you are wanting to weld.

I do alot of thin gauge sheetmetal, rust repair, etc., so I am very happy with my welder. I own a wire-feed Mig 110v. The 110v is great because its handy to run of house current, and the machine is easy to dial down for very light use, so it won't burn through. I can turn it up and weld exhaust, or up to 1/4" frame steel, so it basically is all I need for my van.

If you are doing more fabricating, and building lots of frames, roll cages, etc. I would recommend a 220v machine. But if your primary bag is rust repair and sheetmetal, then a 110v machine is a better choice. I like my little Miller, but I have also used my friend's Hobart Handler 110v unit, and that is a good one too. Either way you go, make sure to budget for a cylinder of shielding gas. You will want that. Stay away from flux-core wire, its more trouble than its worth.
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post by delraydoug Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:06 pm

bought a used miller maxstar 150 stl off ebay. happy so far with the stick welding have not tig welded with it yet because i have no argon gas yet. thank everyone for their input

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 am