VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
Spank
Casimier
white-lightning
Digz
Sy Hollinshead
Vantastic
Vanish
austinmodhouse
econopoor
sasktrini
SDEconoTruck
Barnabas
Army of Six
DanTheVanMan
wirepuller
lectricman
Twinpilot001
G-Man
Big W
EconoCarl
Rayallen
25 posters

Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 am

I always replace my fuel line when I replace my gas tank. That way everything is clean.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 5 Empty Saving Your van from problems

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 am

[/i]Hell Ray= do yourself a BIG Favor- eliminate that oil pressure plastic line & install a 1/8th copper line in its place - be sure to put a coil in it also to absorb the vibrations when driving. will save you much in headaches=kind of like never running a plastic or glass fuel filter near or in engine compartments!! dont need a fire or loss of oil pressure at anytime!! Happy Vannin
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Post by EconoCarl Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Ray, instead of spending 2 bills on cleaning/sealing YOUR fuel tank, consider spending about the same money and converting to a brand spanking new 20 gallon Mustang tank with sending unit. Fred Carello has a how-to here: http://mysite.verizon.net/samada/id3.html
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey guys just got back from a Dentist appt, It was Fun!

Twinpilot I do plan on changing out the plastic oil line to cooper when ever I can find some 1/8 cooper tubing long enough to run the distance needed. I bought the plastic line from jegs and had to by the 12ft length. I have yet to find the cooper long enough.

I am going to replace the fuel line as well, the van still has the metal fuel line. So it will basically be a entire new fuel system when done.

Carl If I owned a welder and some cutting tools id be all over changing the tank out, but myself being a mediocre mechanic and a complete novice at fabrication im extremely short on tools. To bad you are in the Houston area and not San Antonio or Austin. Id hit you up for some help!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Do you guys replace the old metal fuel lines and run completely Rubber fuel hose?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm

I always replace the old with new metal lines.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Cool, want sure how easy it would to be find a metal line for the econoline.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Post by EconoCarl Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Is there something wrong with your metal lines? With your van being from California I can't image them being rusted out. I've put quite a few miles on the two different Econolines that we've had and never had a problem with the metal fuel lines. I would replace the rubber ones though!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Rayallen wrote:Cool, want sure how easy it would to be find a metal line for the econoline.
    They are easy to make.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Carl, I have replaced rubber lines already. I just assumed the metal line may be full of gunk from sitting for a while before I bought it.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Rayallen wrote:Carl, I have replaced rubber lines already. I just assumed the metal line may be full of gunk from sitting for a while before I bought it.
    If your gas tank has crud in it your lines probably do to. I had that happen to me to many times and that is why I always change my fuel lines.
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Gotta love the '64. I want to tell you to have patience with the shipping!!! It takes FOR EVER!! And the trucking company comes up with all sorts of excuses why it's 2 weeks later than they told you. Patience!!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 am

Vantastic wrote:Gotta love the '64. I want to tell you to have patience with the shipping!!! It takes FOR EVER!! And the trucking company comes up with all sorts of excuses why it's 2 weeks later than they told you. Patience!!

I already have the van. I purchased it on July 6 and it arrived at my house on July 13. I was extremely satisfied with the shipping company I used.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 am

austinmodhouse wrote:that por-15 fuel tank restoration kit works well if you want to DIY. are you still using the solid metal fuel line? that might have gunk in it clogging up the fuel delivery.

Im going to give the POR 15 Fuel tank kit a go. I talked to a old VW guy I know and he has also used it and was happy with the result. $77 and a few hours of my time. I can live with that. Im already a POR 15 fan so I know they make a great product.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I used the POR tank restore kit. Worked really well, and haven't had any problems with it. I also replace my fuel line with a new Kunifer one. Way better than steel....
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Removed the gas tank on Sunday and have to say its pretty damn clean outside and in. The rust I can see are small spots on the top side of the tank. Going to give it a good cleaning, and treat the rust with a rust converter and put it back on. Honestly was surprised at how clean it is.

The hose that attaches on the top, what is it for, I followed it and it runs along side the refuel pipe but do not see a use for it and its super old and brittle. I doubt any liquid has run through it in a long time.

Some pics

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 5 IMG_0017
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 5 IMG_0018
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 5 IMG_0021

Last edited by Rayallen on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Rayallen, your pics may be set to private or you used the wrong url/link. not showing up here and when I tried to view them on flickr it said I didn’t have permission.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Post by EconoCarl Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:21 pm

The hose on top is the very important fuel tank vent tube! It goes up the left rear corner of the van. Replace it and make sure it doesn't have any kinks, unless you like pumping gas for a long time to get it full! First time I ever filled up the white van fuel overflowed out of the dried rotten broken vent hose.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 pm

austinmodhouse wrote:Rayallen, your pics may be set to private or you used the wrong url/link. not showing up here and when I tried to view them on flickr it said I didn’t have permission.

I changed the setting, can you see them now?
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I could see them if I clicked the link to flickr, they still don’t show up above. says “this photo is currently unavailable”
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 pm

EconoCarl wrote:The hose on top is the very important fuel tank vent tube! It goes up the left rear corner of the van. Replace it and make sure it doesn't have any kinks, unless you like pumping gas for a long time to get it full! First time I ever filled up the white van fuel overflowed out of the dried rotten broken vent hose.

Thanks for filling me in Carl, im going to replace it. Its kinked and falling apart.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 pm

austinmodhouse wrote:I could see them if I clicked the link to flickr, they still don’t show up above. says “this photo is currently unavailable”

Fixed, should have used my photobucket account to start with. Flickr give me problems from time to time.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:36 pm

I can see them
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 pm

damn the steel weight in the back was heavy. Removed it to give it a quick rust treatment and a coat of primer. Also allowed me to clean where the gas tank was.

Removed the rotten Vent hose to replace it as well. Clean/treated Gas tank and new hoses going back on this weekend.

From the rear corners I removed probably a couple gallons of dirt. Those corners just like the vw bus I owned love to catch dirt and moisture.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Weight and tank are back on cleaned and ready to go with new lines and vent hose.

Added 5gs of fuel and cant not get to start. After further inspection the carb is not getting any fuel. Removed the fuel pump and it is not pumping like it should. Picking up new fuel pump and a rebuild carb kit tommorow from advanced auto parts.

By the time im done the van will basically have had a complete fuel system over haul.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:02 am