VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Stoopid john
67a 100 pickup
jkr
kiwimopar
BoneMan
9 posters

Scarebird - front Disc "kits"

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 749
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Scarebird - front Disc "kits" Empty Re: Scarebird - front Disc "kits"

Post by kiwimopar Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:40 pm

I can only add to this thread by saying that the kit supplied needs a lot more work than anyone will admit. However, the end results are worth the effort. My brakes are so good now.....I even found out that the brake pads are the same as Toyota Rav vehicles......you just need the right guy with the crossover information, and anything is possible.

Bit of a drama getting the job done, but satisfaction guaranteed upon completion.

gmytych likes this post

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1561
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:57 pm

My install went fine, happy as a clam.

gmytych and kiwimopar like this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:42 pm

Looks like Scarebird is going out of business due to global shortages and materials issues.

All remaining stock available is for sale, but nothing is being produced.

https://www.scarebird.com/

Due to latent supply constraints from Covid-19, we have decided to shut down operation effective end of 2022. Items still listed are available - those not listed will not be replenished.

Phone is not is use - please email us direct:

tech@scarebird.com

We sincerely appreciate your patience. Website will revert to info only regarding kits previously sold in 2023.
    fakirone

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2020-10-22

Scarebird - front Disc "kits" Empty Did the swap for an A108... here's what we used.

Post by fakirone Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:00 pm

We did the swap on my 68 Custom Sportsman (WITH a sway bar), here's what was used.

The Scarebird "Budget C Body" kit for brackets. Apparently the A108 spindles are basically C Body spindles.
    https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=255&search=budget+c+body

Bought their "1962-72 Mopar intermediate budget rotors"
    https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=165

and their Celebrity "Monster Calipers" https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=96&product_id=265

Mounted the calipers on the front side of the rotor ("backwards") and used some longer G van brake hoses.

It also has a 92 Dakota master cylinder (manual front disc rear drum) that was mounted using the Summit 4 - 2 bolt adapter.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLP-MCA-M

Everything works great.

gmytych likes this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:16 pm

kiwimopar wrote:
    kiwimopar wrote:UPDATE April 2019

Still working on the disc brake conversion to my A100.

I want to know how many other people have done this conversion, used a Scarebird kit and parts list, and survived the ordeal?

This is an absolute nightmare.  nearly every twist and turn is throwing up a new problem.  I will do a full analysis and breakdown of issues when complete....soon I hope.  But in the meantime....the backing plates were fine and fitted...but the bolts supplied are too short, suggested parts numbers for the hoses are completely off the planet, calipers are mis-matched - as in not identical pairing, no allowance for the factory optional sway bar was made in the design, suggested rotors need drilling out for the Dodge studs (which will also be too short),  wheel bearings need replacing as the national ones I bought are made in China,.....it goes on and on.

When I say the bolts are too short, I mean that legally here in New Zealand, there must be a minimum of 3 threads protruding after the nut....not just tucked inside the nut like the Scarebird supplied bolts.  Also, the grade of hardness is suspect.  And there is no way that Nyloc's are legal for use on suspension or brake hardware here in New Zealand - they can come loose over time, and cannot be re-used.  We have to use Cone Nuts....not even castle nuts will work, as you cannot drill the hardened bolts.  

Now I find that my "Wheel Vintiques" rims are an issue...in fact they have a serious design flaw.  The inner face where the stud comes through is not on the mating surface of the rotor....there is a 1/4" space, meaning that you can keep tightening the lug nuts until they pull through the wheel.  Not a great design.....you either run the risk of a wheel coming loose, or over-tighten and damage the wheels.

More info later on.....grrrrrrr.

***** New UPDATE ******

Managed to get some more work done on the brake upgrade to my A100.

New hard lines made for front wheels, and also new lines to the newly installed Wilwood proportioning valve.  Don't trust the original proportioning valve....too old and crusty - was giving a red light on all the time.....besides, I need the extra ports.  

New hoses were eventually made locally - 3/8" x 24 as stock for the hard line end, with a 10mm banjo and a 45 degree bend for the caliper end.   Very sexy looking hoses.

New bolts and cone nuts installed now, and sway bar removed completely for now.  Will revisit the sway bar issue another day - probably a custom sized unit and different end links.

Rear lines are all good - made 10 years ago and as mint as when they were installed.  Installing a Roll-Control unit out the back for burnouts pre-staging when racing....and for the odd local burnout....lol

Mag wheels now being sourced to overcome the steel wheel issues....more money....

Installed a Remote vacuum booster to give a nicer feel to the new disc brakes.  Very expensive but tidy unit.  Available in Australia and designed with the Hot-Rod market in mind.  

I just have a few parts to buy now - barbed fitting for the vacuum off the intake manifold, some vacuum hose and a few bolts for the little stuff.

Rotors had the stud holes drilled out only, and the hubs were turned down to suit the hole in the rotors - that way, a rotor change is easier - only needing the stud holes opened up.  

Rotors will get a minor finish cut to make 100% sure all is running true when the job is done.  
    Also going to mount a piece of angle across the chassis just behind the radiator to support and protect the front brake line to the passenger side.  Don't know what the original look was, but it definitely is warranted.  

Apart form all of that....I cannot see how any person can expect to do a swap over like this in a weekend, like the guy at Scarebird claims is possible.

UPDATE 14 April 2019

Brake conversion still throwing curve balls our way.  

* Installed brace to support & protect front transverse hard brake line.
    * Re-cut reliefs on back of rotors for studs as the knurls were 'bunching' as the studs were installed
    * Installed studs for final time
    * Installed new bearings and re-packed with grease
    * Fitted rotors to hubs and installed on stub axles
    * Set up brake lathe and aligned, final skimmed rotor faces
    * Removed master cylinder for conversion to disc front setup....took about 10 minutes.
    * Re-installed master cylinder
    * Deciding now on location for Roll Control switch and Warning light...will make a small bracket for under the dash I think.
    * Bought new wheels, installed existing BFG tyres, balanced and trial fitted on the A100...they look great.
    * Removed rear drums for cleaning and re-painting to show off the new wheels.

Hope to get back into the truck tomorrow....awfully close to be running now.

gmytych likes this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:45 pm

kiwimopar wrote:UPDATE April 2019

I want to know how many other people have done this conversion, used a Scarebird kit and parts list, and survived the ordeal?

This is an absolute nightmare.  nearly every twist and turn is throwing up a new problem.  I will do a full analysis and breakdown of issues when complete....soon I hope.  But in the meantime....the backing plates were fine and fitted...but the bolts supplied are too short, suggested parts numbers for the hoses are completely off the planet, calipers are mis-matched - as in not identical pairing, no allowance for the factory optional sway bar was made in the design, suggested rotors need drilling out for the Dodge studs (which will also be too short),  wheel bearings need replacing as the national ones I bought are made in China,.....it goes on and on.

When I say the bolts are too short, I mean that legally here in New Zealand, there must be a minimum of 3 threads protruding after the nut....not just tucked inside the nut like the Scarebird supplied bolts.  Also, the grade of hardness is suspect.  And there is no way that Nyloc's are legal for use on suspension or brake hardware here in New Zealand - they can come loose over time, and cannot be re-used.  We have to use Cone Nuts....not even castle nuts will work, as you cannot drill the hardened bolts.  

Now I find that my "Wheel Vintiques" rims are an issue...in fact they have a serious design flaw.  The inner face where the stud comes through is not on the mating surface of the rotor....there is a 1/4" space, meaning that you can keep tightening the lug nuts until they pull through the wheel.  Not a great design.....you either run the risk of a wheel coming loose, or over-tighten and damage the wheels.

***** New UPDATE ******

Managed to get some more work done on the brake upgrade to my A100.

New hard lines made for front wheels, and also new lines to the newly installed Wilwood proportioning valve.  Don't trust the original proportioning valve....too old and crusty - was giving a red light on all the time.....besides, I need the extra ports.  

New hoses were eventually made locally - 3/8" x 24 as stock for the hard line end, with a 10mm banjo and a 45 degree bend for the caliper end.   Very sexy looking hoses.

New bolts and cone nuts installed now, and sway bar removed completely for now.  Will revisit the sway bar issue another day - probably a custom sized unit and different end links.

Rear lines are all good - made 10 years ago and as mint as when they were installed.  Installing a Roll-Control unit out the back for burnouts pre-staging when racing....and for the odd local burnout....lol

Mag wheels now being sourced to overcome the steel wheel issues....more money....

Installed a Remote vacuum booster to give a nicer feel to the new disc brakes.  Very expensive but tidy unit.  Available in Australia and designed with the Hot-Rod market in mind.  

I just have a few parts to buy now - barbed fitting for the vacuum off the intake manifold, some vacuum hose and a few bolts for the little stuff.

Rotors had the stud holes drilled out only, and the hubs were turned down to suit the hole in the rotors - that way, a rotor change is easier - only needing the stud holes opened up.  

Rotors will get a minor finish cut to make 100% sure all is running true when the job is done.  
    Also going to mount a piece of angle across the chassis just behind the radiator to support and protect the front brake line to the passenger side.  Don't know what the original look was, but it definitely is warranted.  

Apart form all of that....I cannot see how any person can expect to do a swap over like this in a weekend, like the guy at Scarebird claims is possible.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm

UPDATE April 2019

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:06 pm

kiwimopar wrote:Still waiting after 4 months for the remainder of my Scarebird kit.  That guy only sent me the brackets.....after interrogation, he tells me that the calipers are 3rd party supplied - turned out to be from Rock Auto.

Needless to say I am not done yet, and I am less than happy about the customer service received.

So here we go...another year has passed already.  Finally got a start on the disc brake conversion.  I will be giving a blow-by-blow account of how the process goes.  

Having read the instructions from Scarebird (quite specific and comprehensive I thought) I called my friend who is doing the work for me - to say that he needed to read the instructions I had before starting any work on the truck.

So I get out to his workshop, and he's already started.  What instructions he says to me.....LMAO.  He knows what to do without instructions.  his guy is my go-to guy for all brake problems...hence why he is doing this upgrade.  In fact he runs a small business doing brake repairs and mods at home.  The hardest part of the job...apart from getting told the wrong parts to buy, is actually opening up the inside of the specified rotors.  They need to be at 2.81" ID to accommodate the hub on a Dodge.  No biggie....My guy (Dr Phil we call him) is onto it....will be using his lathe to sort that out.  

The other problem we have is that the front sway bar that I so diligently sourced and fitted about 4 years ago, is in the way of the calipers.  I used the correct vertical links as suggested by others here, and now it seems I will have to either have new links made, or rebuild a new sway bar to get the desired clearance from the calipers.  That's OK, I can get a local shop to make a swat bay for me.  

Next problem was replacing the worn out inner bearing grease seals....an order was placed on RockAuto this morning, and I already have confirmation of shipping - problem solved.  

The Calipers themselves are Chevy Celebrity, so, I am already going 'off-piste' with this install.....I won't tell too many people I have Chebbie parts on my Dodge tongue   Some massaging (spelt GRINDING) is needed to get internal clearance of parts - the nub outside the piston housing.  Hopefully all the other parts fit OK.....we'll soon see.

So far my review of this "Bolt-on" kit is less than rosey...so I will inform any and all those interested how this pans out...along with a list of the correct parts to use.  

Should be all done in about 2 weeks....just need parts to arrive, and then it will fly together quickly.. ...  Very Happy
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Post by OutofSight Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:31 am

Very disappointing!
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:00 am

Still waiting after 4 months for the remainder of my Scarebird kit.  That guy only sent me the brackets.....after interrogation, he tells me that the calipers are 3rd party supplied - turned out to be from Rock Auto.

Needless to say I am not done yet, and I am less than happy about the customer service received.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Post by OutofSight Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 am

Looking forward to doing this soon myself. I’ll be watching closely.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:20 am

Dragging this thread up from the bowels of the site again....I just purchased a Scarebird kit....half of it arrived so far - still waiting on the Chebby calipers and rotors plus a few small parts a buddy of mine is helping with.
    Looking forward to the install in a few weeks.
    https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=127

https://scarebird.com/image/cache/catalog/Dog%20mounted-500x500.JPG
    vanitarium
    vanitarium

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Scarebird - front Disc "kits" Empty scarebird disc and wheel size

Post by vanitarium Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Stoopid john wrote:I just installed the brackets on my 2200 axle, so far everything is great.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t22029p30-new-guy-from-florida#111757

I don't know why it went to the top?
    Hi we got the brackets but before we tear this A100 van down it would be great to know if we are going to have to buy four new wheels and tires to fit over the calipers. The van has some stock back spaced 14" chrome steel wheels now. How does the clearance look with your wheels? I had to go up to 15" steelies on my Chev when I did the disc conversion.
    THANK YOU affraid
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8748
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 am

let us know how they work out.

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:08 pm

I just installed the brackets on my 2200 axle, so far everything is great.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t22029p30-new-guy-from-florida#111757

I don't know why it went to the top?
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:39 am

67a 100 pickup wrote:Scarebird is making some for our A's, he sent me a pic of the bracket on our 2200 # spindle and if you have to 2500# he has the diagrams for them as well. I ordered a set so I will let you guys know when they get here.

Thanks Duane Cool

Scarebird - front Disc "kits" Jim
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:32 am

Scarebird is making some for our A's, he sent me a pic of the bracket on our 2200 # spindle and if you have to 2500# he has the diagrams for them as well. I ordered a set so I will let you guys know when they get here.
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post by BoneMan Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:41 pm

jkr wrote:the part shown is on a d-series truck and WILL NOT FIT our a-series vans and pickups. just saying with type.

Just to clarify...
    Which part are you referring to, the Scarebird ebay store part or the D100 article part.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Crying or Very sad worth looking all the same.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:53 am

the part shown is on a d-series truck and WILL NOT FIT our a-series vans and pickups. just saying with type.
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Post by BoneMan Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:09 am

Kit only includes the two laser cut mounting plates.

PICs here.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-A100-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-2200-front-disc-brake-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5641be363bQQitemZ370470172219QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Full article & more info....(D100)
    1967 Dodge Truck Brakes - Dodgeing Disaster!
    Disc Brakes For '61-71 Swept Lines
    From the May, 2008 issue of Classic Trucks

In a nutshell...
    "There are five major components involved in doing this swap (along with some slight machine work): custom-made caliper brackets from scarebird, '95-97 Crown Victoria front rotors, '88-91 GMC 1500 front calipers and brake hose banjo, '79-82 Chevy G10 van front brake hoses, and a '72-74 Dodge D100 disc/drum truck master cylinder..."

Read more: http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0805clt_1967_dodge_truck_brakes_dodgeing_disaster/index.html
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 pm

Sounds interesting - can you possilbly post pictures of what the kit looks like please? Wink
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Scarebird - front Disc "kits" Empty Scarebird - front Disc "kits"

Post by BoneMan Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Of possible interest...

http://www.scarebird.com

They appear to have kits for...
    1964-70 A100 ½ ton Van w/2200lb axle
    1964-70 A100 1/2ton Van w/2500lb axle

(I purchased one of their D100 kits, yet to install.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:29 pm