VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

back on the road

back on the road Empty back on the road

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 4:40 pm

finally back on the road with the new rad in place. they sent a four row instead of the three row so i had to do some extra fabricating to fit it. the biggest problem was the diameter of the drain hole. the old one was 1/2 and the new one was only 7/16 so i drilled it out with a 29/64 bit and tapped it 1/2 20 NF for the tank heater fitting. i had to do this under the van with a crescent wrench as a tap handle because i missed the size change before i installed it. anyways is nice to be riding again
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

back on the road Empty Re: back on the road

Post by Lyrad Wed May 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Sounds exciting, wish I could be back on the road, my old girl failed the out of province inspection..... with 29 issues. Gruuuu.

Have fun out there, keep it safe.

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:25 am

what issues? why the inspection?
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 am

I need the inspection to put plates on the Old Girl because I bought it out of province.
    Well most of the stuff is electrical wiring and it is a mess, does any one know if new wiring harness's are available? But they have every thing from no rubber on the brake peddal, wiper wash squirt mech and loose door handles to leaky rear axle seals and a small engine oil drip. I will be looking into that antique plate path.

My plan was to get every thing working the way it use to when new, but pick away at it as I also enjoy some drive time. All the major stuff that makes it safe to drive like brakes, steering, signal, brake and headlights all work good.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2010-12-14

Post by StuNami Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 am

Painless makes a great one for Chevy's .

Man, Canada is tough. Here in Ohio for an out of state vehicle, all they had to check is the VIN.

Good luck.

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 4:24 pm

every time i'm on the road in this town i worry that i will be pulled over and ordered for an inspection. then if you can't afford the bills your machine is toast and you have a hard time even selling it. its just a matter of time. we had a huge car show in the park last year. there were about four cops who did nothing but visit each vehicle and write notes. once everyone was leaving at 4 o'clock the cops barricaded the exit from city park and pulled over all their favorites from the show. there were thousands of bucks of tickets generated. they knew every custom car within a hundred miles would be there and they filled their boots. the guys who organized the show went ballistic but there is nothing anyone can do. I received my invite for this year but i'm concerned that my van will be captured if i go. the cops in this town are known for their contempt of old customs and they make it obvious with that kind of stuff.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Post by StuNami Thu May 05, 2011 5:40 pm

What province is that?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu May 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Holy Crap ...what province is right, Inquiring minds need to no!

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 8:04 pm

BC
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Big W, they did that to our Cruise Night the last couple years. Event was sponsored by Police Service and SGI (sask government insurance), and then both big sponsors set up inspection stations for safety infractions. They don't play around!!!

I lost a van that had rusty rockers, had to replace steering box that had too much play (could wiggle linkage by hand), even tighten the set screw on the rear view mirror as it wobbled on the windshield. Any leaky brake or steering hydrolics get flagged. Any holes that allow exhaust fumes into the passenger area get flagged too. But steering and brake problems can get your vehicle immediately pulled off the road. (notice I said nothing about the health of the engine? Here, it's not a safety issue).

Just make sure your rig is tight, guys!
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Fri May 06, 2011 3:31 am

steve wrote:finally back on the road with the new rad in place. they sent a four row instead of the three row so i had to do some extra fabricating to fit it. the biggest problem was the diameter of the drain hole. the old one was 1/2 and the new one was only 7/16 so i drilled it out with a 29/64 bit and tapped it 1/2 20 NF for the tank heater fitting. i had to do this under the van with a crescent wrench as a tap handle because i missed the size change before i installed it. anyways is nice to be riding again

Glad to hear you got it back on the road Steve as I know you depend on the ol' girl for transportation. I hope I'm wrong but, don't put your tools too far from grasp as I'm afraid it will happen again. I have 4 close friends that have used the Champion brand radiator in 4 different vehicles and 3 of them went through the same thing as you except 2 are still waiting on the vender to send the replacements. The 1 guy that's had no problems trailers his car to the shows, the other 3 drive them all throughout the summer. Hope you have good luck with yours and they sent you a good one this time.
    StuNami
    StuNami

Post by StuNami Fri May 06, 2011 4:42 am

steve wrote:BC

Hmm. Isn't Vancouver the Amsterdam of North America? So Custom vehicles are worse than growing weed? I was thinking Canada was cooler than that.

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 6:36 am

no no try the okanagan thats the place and the problem. Kelowna is overpoliced and the cops here are agressive. we are the city with the cop named geoff mantler who got caught on film kicking a man in the face when he was already down and unarmed. no amsterdam here! kelowna is rich, tight, and upright man.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:54 am