VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Big W
Twinpilot001
64Handivan
Magic Bus
Van Halen
G-Man
10 posters

New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup

New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup - Page 2 Empty Re: New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Good to know some more history on the gate. The guy I bought it from was convinced it was a non stock piece. Are there any of you from the Minnesota area? Pretty rare to see these around here. There is an old guy that has a stash of them not far from here if anyone is looking. He has a 62 van and two 65 pickups.

I will try to get some more pictures of the truck when the weather turns. Snowing again here in Minnesota...real excited about that!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup - Page 2 Empty Re: New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm

The guy that bought my NOS short tailgate for $600 sliced the top off,added metal,and made it a tall gate. I cringe at the thought.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:20 pm

On her way home this weekend!
    New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup - Page 2 FOD

This truck must have some cool stories. Get there to find out the truck has three Fuel tanks on it, well I should say two tanks left and had a 3rd at one point now removed.

It also had an air suspension of sorts, very primitively done. Now all that remains are the lines, pressure gauge, and wiring.

Best of all, it appears someone has swapped in a 200ci motor in the old girl. Well all signs point to that anyways. The valve cover has a 200ci factory sticker on it and as pointed out the pcv valve on the VC.

I hope to find some more history on this truck going forward, if only she could talk!

New member and new owner to a 61 Econoline Pickup - Page 2 Empty getting closer!

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 am

This weekend I sorted through electrical issues. Put in a new battery, cables, coil, and starter. Everything is working now electrical wise, which was nice to see. The truck turns over and I have spark, well a weak one. Need to put in some new plugs. I new to points ignition, can someone tell me the best method to clean the points up and check the correct gapping? I do not have a dwell meter and will most likely be going to electronic ignition in the future when funds allow.

From there I will need to sort out fuel delivery. I dont know if its getting fuel right, will have to pull the line and see if I can get anything when I turn it over.

Any other pre-start up tips for me guys?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon May 09, 2011 7:05 am

heres something to check- since u put a new coil in ??- did you connect the wire from the dist. to the - pos on the coil?? if reversed? you will have a weak spark!! You can set the points opening best with a dwell meter!! yet can use a matchbook cover to get it set also. Yet dwell is best!! Cleaning ?? sandpaper =lightly!! and best ti just replace them, cap & rotor & condenser also-best!!

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey guys I found out the truck has an electronic ignition in it. Not sure what it is off but it definitely does not have points!

I ordered a new fuel pump hopefully will solve my fuel issues and take care of that side of things. Then just need to concentrate on a strong spark. I really hope there is nothing else from keeping this old girl from running.

Is there anyone on here from the Minnesota area?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 pm