VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Air Cleaner fitment

white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Air Cleaner fitment Empty Air Cleaner fitment

Post by white-lightning Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Well I have acquired a Holley 4bbl several weeks ago and received a Edelbrock LD4B the other day. My question is will I run into problems finding an air cleaner that will fit in the dog house or will I have plenty of room? Right now I am just gathering parts and I'm not going mock up parts till closer to when I plan to install everything, as it runs fine now. Right now the engine is a 66 273. I have not pulled the valve covers yet to see what casting the heads are yet. Any tips or suggestions for the throttle linkage would be appreciated as well.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Air Cleaner fitment Empty Re: Air Cleaner fitment

Post by RodStRace Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 am

Air cleaner should be fine, provided it's not too big around.
    Please do not use the little triangle of foam! They are poor breathers, and a fire hazard!
    There is a linkage setup and a cable setup. The cable is probably easier to modify for a 4 bbl. Make sure you plan for a kickdown linkage if you have an auto.
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Post by white-lightning Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah no foam triangles for me. I hope to get an unsilenced factory cleaner. And I don't have to worry about a kickdown as I am lucky to have an A745.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 957
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

white-lightning wrote:Well I have acquired a Holley 4bbl several weeks ago and received a Edelbrock LD4B the other day. My question is will I run into problems finding an air cleaner that will fit in the dog house or will I have plenty of room? Right now I am just gathering parts and I'm not going mock up parts till closer to when I plan to install everything, as it runs fine now. Right now the engine is a 66 273. I have not pulled the valve covers yet to see what casting the heads are yet. Any tips or suggestions for the throttle linkage would be appreciated as well.

Does that intake fit your 273? I was under the impression the bolt angles were different on the early 273's and new intakes wouldnt fit unless specifically built for the early motors pattern? I found this on another forum "The LD4B is for 67 and later 318 and 273. The D4B is for the earlier 273." I guess thats when the bolt pattern changed?

Anyway, I'm running a CarterBBD 2BBL on mine with an inch of phenolic spacer under it, it has an air cleaner off of an '83 Ram Charger on it and it has just enough clearance.

I had a throttle cable made from mine and theres a simple "clamp type" cable mount on teh back of the intake that holds the cable housing. It has a "holley type" quick disconnect ball on it to connect to the carb itself.

picts of all this stuff are in my photo gallery, link is in my post signature.
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Post by white-lightning Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:20 pm

The intake will fit as I check the casting number on the heads and they are 68-69 273 heads. The block is a 66 and it has mechanical lifters in it. This engine can not decide what it is. It originally came from a 67 A100. I measured a bit as well and I should have about 3 inches of clearance from the air cleaner flange on the Holley carb.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 957
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:50 pm

sweet, now Ive got to find one
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Post by white-lightning Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:57 am

Well I have got a Holley chrysler bracket and I test fitted the 2bbl cable bracket on the manifold and they don't line up. Does any body no of a bolt on bracket to solve things or should I modify a stock bracket? I can do things either way, but the cleaner the setup the better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:36 pm