VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
EconoUSAparts
Vantastic
6 posters

VIN # locations

Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

VIN # locations Empty VIN # locations

Post by Vantastic Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:01 pm

PROBLEM!
    I went to the DMV and had the title with the real VIN# on it and they checked the door and found a different VIN# ID tag(Door probably got switched out during restoration). Now I have to go to the CHP and have them look at it. Where else would the VIN#'s be located?? I really would appreciate some information.
    Thanks

VIN # locations Empty Re: VIN # locations

Post by Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 pm

if there is a hump on your doghouse look there. It should be visible. Also in some Econos it is under the lip of the dog house in front but you have to remove the dog house to see it. Also behind the tail light where the bracket is inside the van.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I had the same problem and it took me 18 months to get my van registered but the door that was originally on my van was put on another Econo that was junked and the vin number on the door is what they used when they reported it crushed to Sacremento. What a fiasco that was.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:if there is a hump on your doghouse look there. It should be visible. Also in some Econos it is under the lip of the dog house in front but you have to remove the dog house to see it. Also behind the tail light where the bracket is inside the van.

Its actually stamped on the bracket. 61 to 64 its under the doghouse lip and cant be seen without removal. 65-67(with bell housing hump) like Mike said,its stamped on top of the hump and visible with doghouse installed.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Tim my 65 had it stamped on the hump and under the lip of the doghouse but there wasn't a vin on the bracket. ??????
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Mine has it under the front of the dog house on the lip, not on the transmission hump at all.
    VIN # locations 100_0510
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:30 am

All the one's I've checked to match the title have been on the rear brace and for me was the easiest to locate and read. Can't trust the plate on the door for the same reason he's going thru. The sad part is without the correct data plate, it's going to be harder to find out which model van he has. From the description he has given so far, I believe it's a Falcon DCW but I'm no expert. Hopefully he'll post some pic's.(hint-hint)
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:32 pm

hmmmm....my 64 is visable on the hump behind the dog house. I checked the door with the hump to make sure the door was original. Now it's got me thinkin that maybe I have a '65 instead of a '64...sheesh here we go again...lol. Are you sure they didn't just hire some drunkin sailer to stamp those numbers on the humps, where ever they saw fit?
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 am

BEST (stamped into the metal) is the hump for 65, 66 and 67 and front floor at doghouse 61, 62, 63 and 64 are good 3rd reference points for the the vin #. First reference point of course is the VIN code at the door, that's easiest, but as we know doors get replaced so it's not the most accurate. Second best is the vin code stamped into the welded cross piece that is welded at the rear van corner. Most times found on the passenger side. It's there, just look.

EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Big W wrote:hmmmm....my 64 is visable on the hump behind the dog house. I checked the door with the hump to make sure the door was original. Now it's got me thinkin that maybe I have a '65 instead of a '64...sheesh here we go again...lol. Are you sure they didn't just hire some drunkin sailer to stamp those numbers on the humps, where ever they saw fit?

64's dont have a hump so somethings fishy with your van.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 pm

OH OH ....I took a look through the Members Gallery and looked at Vanishing breed's 64, and my dog house don't look like that. I guess when I posted this VIN # the person who told me what it all ment must have posted incorect info. Not on this site but from econoline group on yahoo. So I guess I will waite and see what info comes back on VIN # HELP in the new thread I started. I am still learning as I go on ford Econo's, so if I have something wrong I do appreciate being corrected as I am about to put plates on it this week. I am going to roll the dice and say it's a 65 or 66...lol...it as single MC so it aint 67.
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

VIN # locations Empty Alright, I'm going to look there, since my dog hoouse is all nice and insulated all pretty like. Thanks for the info....stay tuned again!!!!!!!

Post by Vantastic Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 am

Casimier wrote:BEST (stamped into the metal) is the hump for 65, 66 and 67 and front floor at doghouse 61, 62, 63 and 64 are good 3rd reference points for the the vin #. First reference point of course is the VIN code at the door, that's easiest, but as we know doors get replaced so it's not the most accurate. Second best is the vin code stamped into the welded cross piece that is welded at the rear van corner. Most times found on the passenger side. It's there, just look.

EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:28 am

If either Mark or Jay decoded your VIN at either Yahoo site you can bet its correct. They rarely make mistakes. If you believe otherwise,send them a message saying why you think the info is incorrect and they can verify it or sort it out.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks Tim. I will go back and look at that thread I had posted over there and see if maybe I read it wrong also. I am sure those that have been doing this a lot longer then I have no there stuff. I probably got it wrong..lol. But I do have a hump behind the dog house that looks like it is spot welded to the floor and since I moved everything out of the way I found my VIN # stamped it. It matches the door tag.VIN # locations Our_1910

Last edited by Big W on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Post by Vantastic Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

organ grinder wrote:All the one's I've checked to match the title have been on the rear brace and for me was the easiest to locate and read. Can't trust the plate on the door for the same reason he's going thru. The sad part is without the correct data plate, it's going to be harder to find out which model van he has. From the description he has given so far, I believe it's a Falcon DCW but I'm no expert. Hopefully he'll post some pic's.(hint-hint)

I'm trying to post pictures. I must be an idiot, I'll have my wife try. She is better at crap with the computer
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:31 pm

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, IT'S MY MIND I MISS THE MOST". Even my pics of this thing say 1965. How the hell I came up with 64 I'll never no. Sasktrini if your reading this what date is SGI looking for? Build date '65 OR Model year which would be '66?VIN # locations 2a_our11
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:10 am

Solved! A 66 model no less. Much better than a 64 and with the 240 it has the 9 inch too.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 am

Sweeeeeet. Off to see the wizard...and hope for some custom licence plates.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 pm