VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

VIN number locations on Econolines

VIN number locations on Econolines Empty VIN number locations on Econolines

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm

When I bought my 65 Econo the VIN number on the door did not match the one on the pink slip so I had to go down to the local CHP office and an officer and I spent three hours trying to find another VIN stamped on the van. I always thought one was on the brace by the tail light and that is where we started looking to no avail. Then I had to remove the carpet and the dog house and scrape all the crap up and clean the floor in front of the dog house to the bare metal and low and behold we found it a few inches to the right of the emergency brake. If you ever have to go thru this the easiest way is to just remove the front part of the dog house and clean the lip on the floor and you will see it. The CHP computer said it was on the floor on the right side but that was way off.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

VIN number locations on Econolines Empty Re: VIN number locations on Econolines

Post by sasktrini Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Gee... sounds like fun... you had to do that to register (plate) the van? Does CHP manage vehicle registrations? We have DMV's (Dept of motor veh.) in each province, separate from law enforcement...
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 pm

My 65 pickup had it stamped on the right side and the hump section of the floor under the motor box lip. It also had it on the right side quarter panel brace but it was stamped on the inside. You could just make out the numbers on the front side. Here in RI they won't check anything older than ten years. All you need is a hand written bill of sale and proof that the previous owner had it registered or paid sales tax on it.
    Fred

Post by Guest Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:04 pm

The front doors on the van had been swapped for two other doors so the vins did not match when DMV checked them. The van that got my vans doors was salvaged and destroyed and since it had my vans vin on the door they reported it as destroyed and unregisterable so I had to have the CHP verify that the van I have has never been in an accident let alone destroyed and is in fact the same van that I have the pink slip for. Now I can go back to DMV and get it regestered.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Mike,I could have saved you 3 hours of time had I been there. All 65-67 Econolines have the VIN stamped into the floor hump and IT IS VISIBLE with the doghouse installed. No need to remove anything. Its right on the top(flat) section of the hump. If you cant see it,scuff it with some sand paper and it'll appear. Same with the rear brace on the 61-64 models,scuff it and it'll appear. On 61-64 models its stamped into the floor under the doghouse and its a real pain to access as you already know.

VIN number locations on Econolines Empty Heater location

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:12 pm

This post has really helped me and my buddy, we found an Econo missing the plate on the door so thanks. To give us an indication on the year any one know what year they moved the heater from the floor to under the dash? What a Face
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:52 am

61-64 had the floor heater,65-67 under dash. A better indicator is the floor hump for bell housing clearance which was in 65-67 models.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Finally got the van registered in my name after 18 months of red tape.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:30 pm

been through that red tape nightmare myself congrats on gettin it registered

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:58 pm