VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Jacking up the front end

Chris&Adam

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Jacking up the front end Empty Jacking up the front end

Post by Chris&Adam Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:31 pm

What is the best way to jack up the front end using a trolley jack? Could the jack be put under the axle or do I risk damaging it? The van is a 69 A108 with no front bumper so using a bumper jack is not an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Jacking up the front end Empty Re: Jacking up the front end

Post by Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:00 pm

i use two floor jacks, allot of people think putting the jack in the center of the axle bends it therefore causing to much positive camber " wheels tipped out at the top". however i know that arching the beam is one way the alignments were done in the old days. mostly now its just toe and go real front end guys are hard to come by, some times if lucky you can find one in a heavy truck repair shop. of course a guy could make a flat bar with nubs on each side to hold the axle and weld a jack perch to it so you can remove it when not needed. just a thought
    jeff
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:37 am

The manual shows that these vans should be picked up by the front spring perches and there are pictures of it.

I myself have used three different methods/locations depending on how high I'm taking it up. In two of these methods I use a 4 x 4 piece of wood that I center on my floor jack, sure a piece of metal might be better but it has worked for me just fine and I do not get under it until the jack stands are in place. In one case the 4 x 4 are on the short frame rail extensions in the front of the front spring perches, in the second case I place the 4 x 4 under the springs just in front and right next to the front axle.

The third and original way was to place just the floor jack under each the spring shackle and raise each side separately, dependant upon how high I was going I may would have to repeat this in steps. In all cases use jack stands and don't climb under it until it is solid. Also, it goes without saying that the rear should be blocked before raising the front or the front blocked before raising the back, dependant upon when end is being raised first. As far as the raising the rear is concerned I've always done this by placing the floor jack in the center of the axle and raise the rear in one shot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Scott...
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 am

I have ben jacking my van up by one jack in the middle of the axle. I am not posative but I think it is bending the axle ever so slightly each time.

I'm not going to do that any more.

M1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:54 am