VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dix
chainsaw
6 posters

jacking up truck

chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

jacking up truck Empty jacking up truck

Post by chainsaw Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:37 pm

I think I read on a post here that you can bend your front axle by jacking the truck up from the center of the axle. I have always used the center of the axle when I had hot rod model a's and a t bucket and I've jacked up my epup that way a couple of times. So, can you really bend the axle this way ? Thanks.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732

jacking up truck Empty Re: jacking up truck

Post by dix Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:49 pm

on the a-100's the manual tell you to use some kind of steel beam to spread the weight if you would jack it up from the middle. if that helps, No Biggie a econo when it was delivered it had a bent front axle.

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:03 pm

My econo came that way too, it seemed obvious it was from lifting in the center. I prefer to lift where the leaf spring meets the axle.
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Ok, now I'm kinda worried. Can you tell by looking when the axle is still in the truck if its bent? I have very little play in the steering but it does have bump steer even though the po added stabilizing dampers. I haven't checked the alignment yet.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:08 am

I'd say a bad bend will be clear as day.If a tow truck wraped a chain around it and pulled it it would be bent forward, or a jack upder neath it would be bent up , those would be the two most likley cases. find a straight peice of any thing solid any try taking a look, try looking from end to end.

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 am

This was nobiggie's front axle i think it cost about $200 to $250 to have it straightened,
    Pluss the removel and replacement he did.

jacking up truck Bentax10
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:46 am

something I never thought about, won't be jacking mine up from the milddle anymore
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 am

A good tell is to get a 4' straight edge and hold it against the bottom then the front. I could see mine without it but it was slight enough to make you second guess yourself. The straight edge was a good lie detector. I ended up finding a good axle out of a yard.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:17 am

My personel experience is that I have been jacking them up in the middle for years and have NEVER bent one doing it this way. I DO support them afterwards with jack stands under the spring perches. The picture above shows to me the "TYPICAL" bent axles I have also a stack of. IMO..... over the years not only have people bent the rear bumpers and scrappped the truck down the right side of the truck under the doors from learning how to drive these trucks that they have hit bump stops in parking lots a few times also.  I see it so commonly that I have some BIG I beams that I plan on making a fixture to use a bottle jack and straighten them out. As far as being bent the other way,, I dont have one that is bent that way. 
     The only issue I have ever had doing it this way was ONCE it slipped and I creamed a radiator, big time,,,,LOL,,,(not funny)
      Its not a bad practice to raise the truck up as close as you can to the spring perch and to leave enough room so that you can get a jack stand under the spring. There really isnt much weight on the front of the truck there, but not a bad practice to promote for others I suppose...
    Vic

jacking up truck Bent_a10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:28 am

AXLE - was NOT BENT fron -Jacking! Bent from hitting something!! Ive jacked from center -YET =LEARNED!! best to jack up from close to wheel areas- like where spring mounts!! cheers 
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 am

I checked with a straight edge and my axle is not bent from jacking. I haven't checked to see if its bent like in the pictures yet. The reason I jack it from the center is I swap rims from car to truck a lot and only have one jack. A lot easier and faster to have both tires on the truck off the ground at the same time then have the jack to remove the tires from the other car. I just got to wondering when I read you could bend it that way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:33 pm