VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

three on the tree technique

Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

three on the tree technique Empty three on the tree technique

Post by Spank Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:13 pm

I am having problems getting my econoline into second gear.

At a stop i am able to shift into all gears just fine.

When coming out of 1st at speed it refuses to engage into 2nd or 3rd.

I am double clutching and doing my best to rev match. Any other tricks? Or is there something mechanically wrong?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

three on the tree technique Empty Re: three on the tree technique

Post by RodStRace Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:37 pm

On my old 68 Chevy van, I had to swing the shifter a bit toward R and THEN have the shifter drop down into the 2-3 gate.
    I'm sure it was a combo of adjustment and worn ends and holes, but I got the hang of it and no one else could, so I left it.
    Fix and lube all the linkage and it will probably be a lot better.

If it's a matter of the shifter is okay, but the trans won't go into gear, check the clutch gap. Have someone push the clutch down (engine off) and using feeler gauges, measure how much gap you have.
    The clutch linkage gets worn too, and often won't release and engage properly with the limited throw of the worn components.
    Last thing is syncros in the trans, but if you can double clutch and match revs, you don't even need a clutch or syncros.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Posted so many times, I figured it was easier this way,, so just did a folder in word for it. I rebuild columns and make custom ones also, but start with this, as it is the correct way to adjust your shifter. They have a detent in the tranny to prevent two gears shifting at once, to prevent blowing it up,,,, if one isn't exactly in neutral, it will hang up, its an age old problem, so wrote this one up,,
    vic

Loosen the large hex nuts that secure the shift rods on the transmission shifters, but do not remove them, let them slide freely in the shift arms. Then go to the aluminum mounting base on the column, and you will see on the passengers side of it, a 1'4" round hole, quite often plugged up with ???? anyways, that hole is there to adjust your shifting into neutral, if you do it this way it will not hang in gear. If you look at the two shift arms on the steering column, you will see MATCHING 1/4" hole in EACH of the shift arms, it matches in position with the upper hole in the aluminum bracket. Use a 1/4" Phillips head screw driver, and slide it down through the aluminum bracket hole and into BOTH of the shift arm matching holes. THIS ALIGNS THE SHIFTER FOR NEUTRAL. Then go back under the truck, make sure the two transmission shift arms are indeed in neutral, and re tighten the two large tightening hex nuts. Then remove the Phillips head screw driver, and you set to go. Double check the upper support in the bowl of the steering column to make sure its not broken as they usually are. If so, I have later model heavier duty ones in stock for an easy replacement, that and some new electrical plastic sleeves in the bulkhead to stop the rattles and screeching and you are good to go,,,
    I have detailed pictures on it all if you need them,,,
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:28 pm

So basically you need to get the 2 levers at the bottom of the steering column exactly in line with each other by adjusting the rods at the transmission,,,,,

three on the tree technique Ford_s15
    Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

Post by Spank Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Worked like a charm once again.

Old Skool for MVP anyone?

As a reward the first pictures are going up in the general forum momentarily.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Here are a couple pages from the service manual showing what Vic is talking about.

[img]three on the tree technique Pages_12[/img]

This helped me out a ton when I tried to picture it in my head. Enjoy!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 am