VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Magic Bus
dmfonline
6 posters

Trans? or Rear-end?

dmfonline
    dmfonline

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2010-10-13

Trans? or Rear-end? Empty Trans? or Rear-end?

Post by dmfonline Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Threw the tranny into reverse when I was shifting into 3rd going about 30mph. Yep, "clunk". Just wondering what to expect, moneywise to have that 4 speed taken apart and rebuilt? Got it going but it is making a very loud clunking. Rolls fine in neutral so thats why I'm thinking trans and not the rear-end. Any input is appreciated, Thanx-Don. Here's a link, I luv this truck. http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23515909
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Trans? or Rear-end? Empty Re: Trans? or Rear-end?

Post by Magic Bus Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Im pretty sure you broke a gear or something inside that tranny....Not sure on the repair cost...I think that varies widley depending on where you take it and wether or not you remove the tranny yourself..
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Make it easy and swap over to a more durable 3 speed. I could possibly do some swapping of parts with you to make it work. The Dags are fragile so I ve been told. I ve only driven one a few times a short distance and its definitely weird.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 am

Dags are NOTORIOUS for weak!!!! aside the odd ball gearing setup. I will have two 64 conversions to do next, one will be taking out the Dag and putting in a 300 with an overdrive using that column, however I don't see it being available here for at least three months???.
    Seriously, think you would be much better off with a good synchro 3 speed like Tim may be able to set you up with. Also, what rear end do you have and what gearing does it have,, if you have the little one and 4 hundred gears, it would be a good time to fix it all...
    vic
    dmfonline
    dmfonline

Post by dmfonline Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanx Vic, I really like the 4speed. Seems unique and is fun to drive. I really don't know if it was me that did something wrong or the tranny just malfunctioned. Either way I would like to get it fixed. Looks to be easy to remove from van but the repairing of it I don't know what to expect. Also thinking of just selling the van. It WAS great fun this summer.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Four speed is neet!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~ however,,????? I really don't know anyone who is good at manuals,, I have a killer connection for automatics. Keep in mind the 3 spd back up plan. If that is your truck there,, it really looks like a clean one!!!!! I am a little bit more committed to our trucks,, LOL... than selling one like that...
    Every once in a while the Dag parts come up on E useless, but few and far between? Its a no brainer too easy to do, to drop it,,, and for your own curiosity, you can pull the top off and take a peak inside. Once there you may find yourself indeed going to the three speed. Let me know if it goes that way and we can work out a trade with a 3 spd column for you..
    vic
    vic

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:01 pm

get rid of that four speed. They are definitely inferior.
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

Post by Mr Hill Billy Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:56 pm

EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:45 pm

If you do convert to a 3 speed transmission with 3 speed column and linkage, you're better off keeping your old 4 speed column and linkage. The 3 speed stuff is dime a dozen (so to speak). That way, if you ever want to go back to a 4 speed, you'll already have the 'hard-to-find' stuff!

Seems like there was once talk of using a Granada overdrive tranny with the 4 column speed linkage a while back.

Decisions, decisions! Smile

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 pm

I loaned a car to a 'friend' once and he called me up to say it broke down. He said is just stopped going into gear. I don't know what exactly he did, but when I removed the tranny, I found the friction disc sheared in two.

If you indeed did throw the tranny into rev while going forwards, the friction disc might be the weak spot.... if you're lucky. Nothing to do but take it apart and look.

Good luck.
    dmfonline
    dmfonline

Post by dmfonline Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:41 am

It's out and been looked at inside.... Trashed .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:20 am