VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+49
sundanceuk
jimthefred
66mnecotruck
vanny
RipVanArkie
BlueSteel
Scotts_A100
RodStRace
campin'fool 2
jkr
Gothboy
dodge man
1040imp
transam400
Vanner63
dan nachel
sidspop
Vanadian
kykayaker37
white-lightning
Rayallen
southern man
whopman
Scott
VanninBlaino
Stoopid john
Zuffen
bumpbug
DanTheVanMan
Big W
Nightmoves
kgdb
wylee
EconoUSAparts
sasktrini
Vantastic
toad
Oldsmobubble
Twinpilot001
SDEconoTruck
econopoor
bugeye bob
Sy Hollinshead
dix
austinmodhouse
67a 100 pickup
G-Man
Van Halen
kevbarlas
53 posters

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Empty Re: 1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration

Post by Nightmoves Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:03 am

Kev,you've gone above and beyond the original mfg's construction.Painstakingly and meticulously reproducing each little piece.Great job bud.We enjoy seeing your labor.Keep up the good work.Very inspiring.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Empty Re: 1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Dude, Been watching ya from the begining and I gotta say Your work's fantastic. I've got the same, a thames Dormobile. Mine only looks good from a distance though !
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Welcome denniss!!! Love the Thames

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Cheers G-Man. Yours looks mighty fine too but pardon my ignorance, what is it ?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Thats OK !!! It a 69 Chevy, look around the site so you can learn about American ealys. Glad your here, Thames are one my favorites
    kevbarlas

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-12-09

Post by kevbarlas Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Cheers for the replies guys. Sometimes when i get as bit fed up or off track its good to read through what everyone has said, keeps me motivated.

27/11/2011

I got the guttering all welded up.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2duxefb

I think it was around 200 of those little slits to weld (booooooring), it has distorted slightly but ive been able to get the worst of it out. I went and bought a new toy to help me, a sliding hammer. Similar to this one.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 25irb4k

It came in handy as i cant actually get a hammer in to tap the gutter out. and if i used a bit of wood , the angle i have to hit it at would push the gutter down at the same time. With the sliding hammer i can pull it out horizontally...... if that all makes sence? it does in my head anyway.

Unfortunatly, just as i got to welding the joining pieces of the guttering on the outside i ran out of Argon gas, bugger. I now need to sort that out, I usually get my gas through BOC which costs about £80 for a yearly rent, £60 a re-fill, and £15 misc. Ive heard of a place local that does it for £57 a bottle and a refundable £55 deposit, think il check them out.

In the mean time i thought i better cut the bracing out of the door frames and check to make sure the doors still fit and the guttering looks ok with the doors inplace.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2mqkw0w

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 A9u7o0

Passanger door looks ok, the frame doesnt have the rubber seals in so the door is fitting further in than it will be when finished. the gap looks pretty even all-round.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Iqlmpx

Mmmhhmm, looks like this door skin and frame will need a bit of work too.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 25a810y

Drivers side looks not bad either, there is a bit of a bigger gap at the top between the frame and gutter, mabey about 3 or 4 mm bigger but i could make up for that in the door frame if it comes to it.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1zbw6qb

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Mm8z1u

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1z70m4n

This door skin and frame isnt quite so bad.

When i went to the garage today i had planned on just washing my car but i decided to start the roof plans. I had to make a table 4 and a half foot wide and just over 11 foot long. My brother got me 2 old tables that his work was going to chuck out so using them and two bits of 50x50 from the bracing i made a frame for the table. I then screwed down some MDF down to make a large work surface.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2r7n77a

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2mywaog

My mate Crighton came over after his work and helped me to put the roof ontop of the table. It was good to see the roof at a better angle again, ready to asses what needs done. 3 of the corners are pretty crap and all along the drivers side has rotted too.

Passangers side front corner.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 65zedv

drivers side front corner.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 29ctl6u

drivers side rear corner (probably the worst corner).

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1zcq1sp

along the driver side.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2ev6ejp

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 N357w7

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Svjpqo

The main panel overall isnt that bad though, just around the edges.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2hwivpu

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2ilhuhj

The plan is to now cut off the remainder of the old guttering on the roof, strip the paint and rust, repair the sections that need done and re-attach. It has a few strengthing ribs inside that bolt to the main body of the van and originally a lip that went aroudn the perimeter of the rood that would be spotwelded to the guttering. Im not going to do that though as the chances are, water could go in the seams and start the whole rust proces again. Instead, im going to not do the lip and i will run a continous weld all around the roof. With the tig it should keep it neat.

More picture of the roof repair to follow when i get some more argon.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Those gutters turned out nice. lots of work welding them all up, but you hard work is paying off. Can't waite to see that roof welded on.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:30 pm

kevbarlas,
    The work your are doing is amazing! Keep the pic's coming!!! cheers

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:46 am

Amazing what you have done so far!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Looks like it's time for you to build an english wheel so you can fab up some patch panels for the roof. I'm looking forward to this!! This outta be good!! Smile

Duane in Tennessee.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm in awe of your skills!!! But I don't know how you accomplish so much AND have time to document it all so thoroughly! Kudos!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:20 pm

You are truly saving a early van there, most wouldn't or should I say couldn't do what your doing
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:03 am

Insane Fab work man. Excellent!
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:57 pm

southern man wrote:I'm in awe of your skills!!! But I don't know how you accomplish so much AND have time to document it all so thoroughly! Kudos!

Ha, it can take quite a while to write up a decent post. Having to change the size of the images, then upload them and write up a decent story can take about 2 to 3 hours.

December update

Its been quite a busy month at work. One of the guys got made redundant so its put my work rate up a bit. Its also meant having to work late and help out on Saturdays, extra money so i cant really complain but its meant less time at the garage.
    Last time I wrote I had just laid the roof on the table, ready to get cut up. I thought I would start on the front corners and work my way round the drivers side. The first thing i done was take the paint off around the edges of the roof to assess the metal work underneath.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Kds49g
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2h6y0jk
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 If32xh
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 675a1g
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 21oowi9
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 21e9bps

This was the first corner I started on, It was the worst front corner so best to get it done and out of the way.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Zo6hbp

I flipped the roof over to take the surface rust off the inside edge too. You can see the cross brace i welded in to help it keep its shape when I removed it from the van.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2lsxjcp

This is the offending corner upside down.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 95r3lz
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 10yp84j

The corners are a compound curve so that made shaping it a little bit more tricky. I did a lot of humming and hawing at it. Trying to figure out how to go around making a repair section for this part. I came up with a plan of cutting it out and making a basic template to work from. I haven't tried a compound curve repair before, so this probably isn't the right way but it worked for me.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Ixqfdc

No use for you anymore.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Znu7g7

I taped a thin bit of cardboard to the area.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 5mbn80

Then after a bit of snipping and more masking tape I had the rough shape mocked up.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 29ztwtc
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 291ettl

Cut it out and I have my template.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 9h6hpl

I seem to have jumped a few steps ahead here. Basically I traced the template onto a sheet of 1.2mm and cut it out. I clamped a piece of 50x50 angle in the vice so that it was clamped in a V shape. I then used a round head hammer to tap a concave and trying it against the roof numerous times, using my hands to give it a final tweek and shape. I tacked it into place, i cut strips into it to help me with the stretching and shrinking principle.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2cxztzd
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2929sug
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Maupvt
    Then all welded up when i was happy with it.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 A0euw
    And a good dress up.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Vo2w55
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 296m6id
    Yey! a complete corner, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The next again night i went back and started on the other corner. This one was in a bit better shape than the other.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 10opg83

Marked out, ready to get cut up.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Efp18g

I done this section in 2 patches, the mainly straight side and a tighter corner.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Eu4qdc

Tacked up and ready to weld.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 24f085u

*grind, grind, sand, clean*
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2dviw44
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2jgvur
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Vsot47

Close enough to the opposite side for me.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 K0pq2e

I called it a night, looking forward to getting back to it again shortly.........
    Unfortunately, the week before the caustic tank at my work burst. We use it to strip the paint off the old Cast fireplaces and radiators. Coincidentally, we have just got a lot of radiators needing done, quickly. The tank was made from plastic and had been repaired lots of times in its 20 year life span with Fiberglas so it was starting to look past its best. I checked out prices for other tanks big enough but the cheapest plastic one was pretty thin material and cost £1050. I thought it would be best to make a new one from scratch out of 3mm plate and 50mm angle. I was annoyed as it meant losing a weekend and a few nights on the van but it was actually good to do something different from the usual, a little bit of a challenge. I made it 8ft length, 45 inches tall and 2 foot wide. I gave it a lid and as it was metal i could add a heater. Caustics working properties increases tremendously when even a little bit of heat is added so i used a basic 27 inch central heating boiler coil. I also made sure to weld on a drain tap to this one, the plastic one had to be emptied via buckets and long waders, not fun. I added insulation to help with the heating and keep costs down.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 6dres5
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2hoe13q
    Was really happy with how it turned out, lets see if this lasts 20 years.
    I also had enough time to make a unique handle for my fiances boss's stove.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 16lb3wk

After the tank was done i had to miss a few nights at the garage to get the radiators done and ive just worked yesterday to give my boss a Saturday off ( he never gets them). So, back to today, the 18th.
    Meet the newest addition to my growing garage stuff. This heater has been here since i moved in and its never been touched. I remember trying it out when i first moved in and it never worked so its been collecting dust ever since. Well since its now officially winter i thought id try to fix it. I changed the ignitor as it was looking quite duff but that never helped. I thought id service everything and that never helped, occasionally it would light up and go out, so id strip it all down again, try something new and it wouldn't work at all then it would etc.. After a lot of head scratching and time wasting i figured it wasn't making much pressure, all the seals were ok but on closer inspection to the back plate could see hairline cracks around the bolt mounts. I used soapy water to confirm my suspicions and yep, the back plate was knackered. All the air pressure was being lost. I ordered a new one and i thought id may aswell replace the filters. Since then its been great, works a treat and heats up the space fairly quickly with its 77,000 BTU rating. I'm using diesel to fuel it right now but will be moving onto paraffin when i get the time to get some as it burns cleaner and cheaper.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 90oykz

Enough of that crap. Back to the roof.

This is the drivers side, which was pretty bad all the way along. Oh, i forgot to mention. You may remember how i tried to make my own guttering which never worked very well and so i was left with 10 pieces of 50mm wide 1.2mm strips 4 foot long. They are now being put to good use as repair sections for the roof. Never through anything out, thats my motto! (probably got it from my dad).
    I tried a couple of experiments before i got on with the roof, what would be the best way to put a curve on the strips. I tried the angle in the vice in a V shape first.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2h3wx3m
    It kind of worked but I couldn't get enough pressure on it with the hammer so i flipped it around in the vice so the jaws pushed the tube into the angle.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 23suseb
    That probably worked a bit too much, it did curve the strip but only in one place. The next idea was clamp the strip in 2 bits of angle and tap it around a piece of tubing. Like this :
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2whf4w0
    This gave me the effect i was wanting, a nice gentle curve.
    Back to the actual repairs, i forgot to take a photo of my first repair part. This piece of the roof held a hinge for the pop up roof and consequently had rusted a little higher up which required a bigger repair section.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Eug19i
    New panel made up , i joggled all the top edges off the repairs to help with lining it up and clamping into place.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 29vfq0i
    I done another repair after that and that was 3 sections all tacked up.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2hwofhz
    I was leaving to go home in the next hour so i thought id finish off this section.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 35kmpfs
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2gtyjno
    The other difficult thing about the roof is trying to figure out far down the panel actually comes. The passenger side is pretty complete so ive used that as my reference and measured from the centre out and a bit of free hand to cut the edge off the panel.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2qbdjl0

A little before and after.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Svjpqo

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2cr4p4x

I then went home and had a nice roast beef and veg dinner, delicious.

The Christmas holidays are coming up soon which means i get a full week off. So with a little careful planing spending time with Jana and the van i should get more done. I would love the next update to be about the roof being attached back on atleast, we shall see.
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Good work. Makes me want to clear out the garage and get my Dodge in to knock the roof work out.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Excellent as usual, Keep it Up Kev. Looking forward to seeing the roof on. Merry Christmas.
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:07 pm

2/1/12

Happy new year everyone! , lets see how far I can get with the van this year.

I continued progress on the drivers side of the roof. After getting the first half of that section done it was time for the rear. My battery was going flat in my camera so theres not so much detail for this day.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Sebn29
    I started by doing the rear corner then meeting in the middle.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Xf3f2g
    I pretty much followed the same idea as the front corner, marked what i wanted to cut out and made a template.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Nvegj8
    Then cut it out, tap tap, tack in place, weld and dress up.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2co6avd

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2evrg61

Corner sorted, time for the side. There was another larger section which held the Fiberglas pop-up roof in place that need replaced.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 A09t3t
    New piece in.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 11w6bf4
    All the other smaller sections in and welded.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1z1fc09
    And cleaned up, this was when my battery did die so i couldn't get another shot of it from the rear.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 25rz5za
    That was that for that day. Before I left I checked over the other side of the roof and decided that the metal was still not bad and any little repairs i could do would be ok done on the van.

When i went back I figured out what i needed to do to re-attach the roof. I flipped it over upside down to inspect it.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Scz605
    I had intended to leave the ribs in place and clean around them but very quickly realised that to not do it would be foolish so they came out. (cross bracing was just to stop it warping.)
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2a6pkpl
    You can see the repairs from the other side with the joggled lip here. Quite a lot of surface rust from what im assuming would have been condensation. Luckily none of it had rusted through and the top was still smooth to the touch.
    I took all the paint of the ribs first to refurbish them.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 15572au
    They were ok, just a few bits of weld to fix them from when i was removing them.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Mv156t
    The smaller rear ones were also drilled out from the rivets and painted. I etch primed them, then a coat of normal primer and then i used some Citroen white from a job i done to paint inside the channels of the ribs, just to protect them. This is another thing i recommend, a white board. Its good to write lists, doodle pictures and communicate with the guy i share the garage with.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2lxcd1j
    Larger ribs done. They had felt stapled onto them to stop drumming against the roof panel. I decided to just use heavy-duty sticky foam to do the same job.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Rusp54
    Whilst i was doing the ribs and waiting on the paint dry i took all the paint of the underside of the roof. easier to do it on the table than the van. I etch-primed the areas that would be covered by the ribs.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2hwfe4m
    With the piece on the front that had surface rust, i cleaned as much rust off as i could and gave it a coat of the special rust sealer primer then more etch.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2dj5ema
    Then I bolted the ribs to the body of the van. It was easier this way than to attach them to the roof first.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 E9gbur

Then!, it was time for the next stage. The thing which i had been waiting on since taking the roof off. Now it was time to stick the roof back on. My dad came along with a nice welcoming flask of coffee and muscles. Alastair ( the guy i share the garage with) was also roped into helping with the lift. It went pretty smoothly, lifting it up and walking from the front to back and dropping it into position. I felt really quite excited to see it with a roof on again. Like im getting nearer and nearer. When big things like this get done it looks so different!.
    less talk, more pictures.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1jxq37

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 20frhv5

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1d9ts

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2iomfl

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Eio3ko

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 10dgwlx

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2wcpouh

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1xynes

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Eba0r5

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Pss34

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2ufvuki

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2yjrgbl

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2e34owk

I still need to tack the roof into position which means lifting and pushing to get the perimeter parallel to the guttering but its looking promising so far. The only thing thats annoying me is the passengers side rear corner which i think i may need to add metal onto but il see once i start tweaking and welding. I'm feeling quite happy and chuffed with myself, another big step made!.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 25rpht1
    He has his hat back on.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Nice to see that its one piece for the most part again, looks great!!! Looks like your getting close to painting what color???
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:57 pm

You continue to amaze me with your no fear metal working skill. Just hammer out some compound curve patch panels, no problem. It's looking great. Good progress getting the roof back on. That's a major milestone. Like G-Man said it's getting close to think about color. I know it was white to start with but maybe it should be something that really pops! A project like this should really stand out from the crowd. Plain vanilla white just may not be good enough. What other factory colors did these come in?

Looking Good,

Duane in Tennessee
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:34 am

Your skills with welding and fabrication have impressed me from day one. At this rate you will be getting closer to a finish, summer time?
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Im thinking two tone, a nice cream/white upper half with a light pastel green lower and roof. As far as a finishing date, defintyl not this year. I hope to have the body all welded up for the middle of this year then its time for the mechanicals then after that i will repair the doors and side skirts. So probably another couple of years for it to be atleast road worthy.

February 2012

I have done a lot of welding since my last update. With the roof back on it gave me another boost to get on with it. The next task was 'How do i get an even gap between the roof and gutter'. After a bit of thinking i cut some 12mm thick MDF into rough 3 - 4 inch squares and wedged them in between the gutter and roof which gave me a good size of spacing and held everything down tight.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2zineqw

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 W7h0gn

With the wood in place i could go inbetween them and tack weld the roof in place, then when i took the wood out i was left with a nice finish.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 15hh3bn

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 14nzgh1

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2wg7xas

I started to weld it up once everything was tacked, starting with the front.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2lt6cdk

The majority of the roof was sitting nicely on the gutter but towards the rear the gap was huge, about 12mm in places. I just decided to put lots of weld down and build it up. Once it was welded it gets ground down anyway.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2hehegm

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 20stzzq

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 N648ao

Once it was all welded and cleaned up I got a bit carried away and couldn't wait to start the lead-loading. I really wanted to lead the roof to fill any pin-holes that may have been left with the welding but i also wanted to lead between the gutter and body to add extra strength. I took more photos of this part but its not really relevant anymore, I will explain why.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Nltudu

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 333blso

I had spent about 2 hours or so on this bit, it was my first try with the lead and after spreading it about, heating it up and sanding it to a nice shape i realised i was wasting my time. You see, when i would go to put the lead inbetween the body and gutter i would have to re-heat the gutter area up again which would melt the lead and it would all fall out. I'm really glad i realised that before i had done the whole roof. Another one of those restorers lessons, think and plan always. The plan now is to do the lead-loading between the body and gutter first then i will use body-filler to tidy up the welds on the roof.
    Easiest way to do lead-loading is on a flat, where gravity can help the process. Time to flip the van on its roof. I had never actually put the van a full 180 degrees over before so this was novel for me. I got Alastair ( guy i share the garage with) to help me roll it over as the weight of the chassis being at the bottom would now be at the top and just a bit more likely to keep going once i start to roll it. I did hurt my back though, i was trying with all my might to lift it and i never realised Alastair thought it was going to roll too much so he was putting resistance against me rolling. I did feel something in my back twang a little but it wasn't until the next day the pain started., anyway, it will heal. It was unusual to see the van upside down so i was quite excited to care about my back at that moment.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Oh36f

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2zp5aao

Heres how i have been doing the lead-loading.
    First i get the grinder with a wire wheel attached and clean the metal up, then i get a rag with white spirit (turpentine) to remove any grease or oil that may be left.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 2zguv6g

Once thats been done i get my tinning paste and brush it on to the metal. Using a handheld blow torch i heat it up until it starts to bubble and all the lead in the tinning paste melts onto the body. Once its cooled down slightly i use a damp brush to wipe away the paste but leave the thin coat of lead on the panel.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 E70z2p

Then i use the blow torch to heat the end of the stick of lead and kind of push and twist it on the body until it snaps off. Then using the wooden paddle rubbed in tallow i heat the lead up to different states depending on what i want to do with it, usually a buttery consistency. Then i use the paddle to smush/prod/poke it about until I'm happy with it.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Esorqx

Once I'm happy with it its time to file it down then sand it smooth with 80 grit. I will be going over it with a light skim of filler in the future.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 6y1sf6

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 200d6pg

I managed to get the whole drivers side and front done in the same way.
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 339mwl2

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 1hqxxu

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 16ljmab

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Fnu4wj

Getting there, slowly but surely i will be nearing the stage when i get to prime the upper half and thats the next milestone I'm looking forward to.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Excellent work as always. And your colour scheme is similar to what i am planning. Althouh i am considering adding a stripe in a sort of tan colour. I suspect your van will be finished before mine though...!!!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 am

I'm blown away!
    kykayaker37
    kykayaker37

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 4 Empty impressive

Post by kykayaker37 Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 am

I just read all 7 pages straight through, couldn't stop what talent, what dedication, and energy im inspired now ,dave
    Vanadian
    Vanadian

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:46 am

This is awe-some Shocked I checked on this a while back. Great progress. You should just start your own Scottish
    Custom Van Company. Bravo Kev!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:03 pm