VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
mrclean
oo3
Twinpilot001
EconoCarl
RodStRace
texasjohn
G-Man
austinmodhouse
12 posters

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Empty the austinmodhouse 65 econoline

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 pm

figured I'd start a thread what is going on with the van...

how I came this van is a story in itself that included unopened mail, police, jail time and several years of past van ownership that ended rather remarkably.

the back story is told from this link http://austinmodhouse.com/blog1/2010/11/i_am_a_van_man_again.html

this past weekend I made the van all legal, title and insurance. I still need to get it inspected and while the brakes do work, I suspect they could be better. the right rear locks up easily. and since I'd not really driven it much distance beyond the driveway, I figured I'd take it on a 80 mile drive through the country on the way to the mechanic. maybe not the best idea, but I figured if I break down I can just call AAA as I have 100 mile towing.

the van easily cruised at 55 and I even saw 70 on the speedo but quickly backed down from that speed. my wife was following and she confirmed that I was 55 most of the time. the engine temp gauge is dead but it seemed to run cool I stopped at a store (wife insisted) and when I came back there were just a few drop from the radiator over flow tube. but then about 60 miles into the trip the fuel gauge suddenly went to E. I pulled over and got 4 gallons, now gauge read FULL.

then I drove about one mile and coasted to a stop. I removed the air filter and it appeared the carb was not getting fuel. this van came with a spare gas tank from the PO, I guess he was trying to tell me something. the fuel filter is a screw on type about the size of a thimble, that will have to go. anyhow, we had our bikes with us so we just pushed the van into a parking space, went to wimberley market days, had some lunch and I came back and got it started. I'm no stranger to the dirty fuel tank/filter issue, patience is often the required fix. I got it my off-grid cabin in the tx hill country and we let it sit over night. it ran pretty good the next morning so I drove it anohter 20 miles to the pro-wrench. so the first drive was a success! (any drive that does not require a call to AAA or to the insurance co is a success)

I guess I will start working on that spare tank while it is away for brake work.

a few pics:

my intended color scheme

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4211

beatiful drive down to wimberley

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4208

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4202

leaving it at the pro mechanic...

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4196

the full weekly report here: http://austinmodhouse.com/blog1/2010/12/winter_cabin_modification_moth.html
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Empty Re: the austinmodhouse 65 econoline

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:32 pm

It cool you started a thread for your van. For us and you!!! When you feel your project is not moving along you can go threw this thread and see what you have got done. It has helped me with my 64 when it seems like things are moving slow. P.S. Like the paint idea
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm

what an adventure.....keep the updates coming
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 pm

In your blog you write
    " I still haven't seen the movie (black august). "

Here you go! Very Happy
    https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=52CF8480689D0759
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Keep us posted, glad you started a thread too. We were in Austin this past weekend, will be back in January. We need to have a Hill Country get-together someday!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:30 am

RodStRace, I don't think that youtube is the same as the movie. I was an extra in the movie and I think I would stand out in that youtube clip collection.

I have the movie in my netflix queue http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Black-August/70084848

Carl, a hill country gathering would be a great idea. my wife was having pipe dreams that we could tow our airstream with the van, but I don't think I am going to drop a power stroke engine in so... unlikely. we did enjoy looking at the pics of your "canned ham" vintage trailer behind that van.

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I know it's been explained before, but as my brain has a few dead areas....

I am still considering to swap out the engine. the carb needs rebuild and I can't see spending 200-250 on that when I am pretty sure I will eventually want to tow a light trailer with this thing, I am thinking a 300 ci will make me happy. would like a v8, but I have concluded that the torque and reliability of the 300 be enough and the swap may be easier? tell me if I'm wrong here.

what I am uncertain of is will the original trans mate and will I require a different drive shaft. I know I will be needing the 9" rear, but would like to take on these upgrades one at a time, hoping I don't need to swap DS and rear for engine swap.

I've been shopping the local sources and can get a complete 300 for around 400, if I can move up to a good 300 ci for around a grand now, that'd make more sense than patching up the 200 for $250

any guidance from the big brains would be appreciated.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:20 pm

well I think I found my answers in this thread, not what I was hoping for...

I was hoping I'd at least have the correct cross member.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t15572-largest-drop-in-engine-for-65?highlight=300+engine
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Just a thought=>> The 300 ford 6 was a good motor- also if you can find one from a truck / van the autos installed in them were C-6 's and were great for trans's. (small Block types)
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:59 pm

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4303
    I have my 9" posi-trac rear end, first piece of unobtanium for the big six conversion.

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 pm

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4304
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Post by EconoCarl Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Even had posi-trac, good find. Did you get the whole van?
    If it's a 240 there are more parts you could use!
    Don't forget about the accelerator pedal and cable assembly.
    Good luck, June will be here before you know it!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 pm

the van is a 61 w/ a 200 ci so I'm not sure it has much else I can use for a big six conversion. but I did get a mssg from the guy that runs that yard (this was his personal van) that he probably has the trans and driveshaft I need also. not that I want to make another run to south SA for parts.
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:06 pm

[img]the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Photo-10[/img]

two coats of primer so far. a few blemishes to address and then four more coats of flat black.

next time I will remember not to leave the can of paint in the air hose path. new black spot on the ground and a few days of waiting for more primer to come. I need the brake for the long weekend anyhow, crawfish boil!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Post by EconoCarl Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Lookin' good Paul, keep chipping away!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Get a truck / pickup or van 300 motor and it your automatic tranny inclined?? they also had a C-6 auto in those (small block bolt pattern) theres a c6 now on craigs list -rebuilt too- thinking about $350. asking??
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:29 pm

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4709
    the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4708

waiting on more paint, but I'm happy how it looks so far. and I am supposed to be picking up a 300 ci straight six WITH a C6 attached later this week. that will be a huge jump fwd in the progress.

pics were originally posted to: http://austinmodhouse.com/blog1/2011/04/amh_crawfish_boil_2011.html

along with a bunch of pics of ppl eating crawfish and drinkin' and such.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290

Post by oo3 Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:15 pm

so do they ship those crawfish in from louisiana? - i dont see any red potatoes or corn in those crawfish piles - ( or mushrooms or carrots or garlic for that matter)
    we also had a boil ( burl ) - although being born and raised in michigan i tried to convince myself for years i liked the bugs, but i gave that up a few years back -i still eat all the other stuff though - oo3
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:46 pm

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Amh4713
    we did put in small red taters and onion and garlic and lemon, I don't put corn in but I do put in green beans.

we can get the bugs from the local seafood place, a bit pricey compared to LA prices but they were all a good size, already purged and rinsed with few dead ones. think we paid $3.20 a lb @32 lb per bag. they ship 'em in from LA.

I don't mind eatin' em. but I don't care for all that work of peelin' em. my wife hands me some here and there. she is a crawfish peelin/eatin' robot.

Last edited by austinmodhouse on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
    oo3

Number of posts : 290

Post by oo3 Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:22 pm

3.20 is actually not bad for easter weekend price - last week they were around 2.10 then for easter they jacked em up to 2.69 at one local place - they probably are back down already - i will have to remember the green beans for next time - oo3
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Empty Great eatin!!

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:46 pm

GOD id give a Home to a Crawfish peelin woman like That!! Best be puttin a lock & chain on her - Ur in austin- =In san marcos the ol aquarena springs used to have a buffett with frog leggs & crawfish & fried chicken=on thrusdays eves- Long ago= it was really expensive back then - around 6 bucks for all u could eat!! GOD I was in =Heaven!! get to know a good restaurant owner that uses Sisco (wholesaler) They sell crawfish & oysters in big burlap sacks - best eatin ull get!! Party Time!!! Common Summer!!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 am

just called the windshield guy and his real price installed will be $290+ tax (new windshield, my new gasket, his labor) one other place I called quoted $700! said they would have to have glass shipped from michigan.

I installed a dash pad, found it on ebay for around $75. it came with a bend in it (poor packaging) but it knew it already had some damage and I had planned to repair it myself. used instructions from one of my vintage bmw friends that owns a body shop

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/89/33/

he did come back to say his repair method didn’t last and cracks were once again visible. so far, my repair using his method is holding. I had several layers of that SEM stuff. it was around $40 but I also used it to repair a gouge in a plastic bumper on one of the other cars, wife likes to back into trees.

drilling the holes for the dash pad was a whole other set of frustrations. my only comfort was knowing that they would soon be covered by the dash pad.

upon tightening, one of the studs on the back of the dash pad broke off, was not too happy about that. the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Dash_p10
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Post by austinmodhouse Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

and just like that, two hours from when I called the guy to complete. $313 with tax, installed with my new gasket (macs)the austinmodhouse 65 econoline Glass10
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Post by EconoCarl Wed May 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Lookin' good Paul!
    We've been thrashing on ours too.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor