VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
lectricman
EconoCarl
Indian640
7 posters

65 Spring Special Progress Report

Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

65 Spring Special Progress Report Empty 65 Spring Special Progress Report

Post by Indian640 Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 pm

65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco12

Finally getting the dash pod to come together...3 new Sunpro gauges, kept the original speedo and fuel gauge. Had to have the glass cut around the new gauges and installed an LED indicator for the new floor shifter, for the C-4 auto. Found some nice stainless allen buttonhead screws to finish it off.
    Indian640
    Indian640

65 Spring Special Progress Report Empty Re: 65 Spring Special Progress Report

Post by Indian640 Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:56 pm

65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco13

Here is some pics of the dash skirt I made out of metal with the A/C vents. I used black vinyl door stripping all around for looks and no sqeeks. Hooked up the new defroster hoses to the original vent outlets. I`m using the original Ford dash knobs with the new system, which will be cable operated. Got an aluminum bulkhead mount in the location of where the original heater hoses were. Looks like a real can of worms now! Also is the stripped down 3-sp column, painted black wrinkle and the top of the new floor shifter. I will be mounting the new aluminum radiator with S/S overflow tank, A/C coil, drier and fan this weekend. I was hoping to have it running this past week for Daytona, but I`ll settle for getting it back on the road by the end of this month.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Here`s another shot taken from the passengers side when I first mounted the shifter with the new column in place with the new floor plates and the repainted column drop. That damn cable for the shifter is 9' long! 65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco14
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Lookin' good Art! I like the dash skirt idea.
    Got any pics of the A/C hoses running through the floor? I'd like to see how you did that.
    I got all the stuff but still haven't started my A/C install yet, hope to soon.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:59 pm

I`ll take some pics of the bulkhead fittings and all the hoses this weekend....
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 pm

definitely like the color... is there any other?? progress is looking great!!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Orange on any early always looks great!!!! Nice job on the dash
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Looking great Art. Can't wait to see what you do with this truck.

Duane in Tennessee.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:00 am

Thanx guys, I tried to get as close as possible to the Ford grabber orange. The 1st batch was off and I had to go back and have the auto shop remix it darker. It came out perfect and I had it put in spray cans so that I could paint the interior myself, less a compressor. Before shooting the final clear coat, the finish is a flat, primer orange, very kool. If I was going for a total hot rod look I would have left it like that. The paint for the outside will be the same only handled with a sprayer in an auto shop..... here`s more pics of the skirt. The last pic also shows the A/C /heat unit in place of the original heater.
    65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco16
    65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco18
    65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco15
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 am

crowen57 wrote:Lookin' good Art! I like the dash skirt idea.
    Got any pics of the A/C hoses running through the floor? I'd like to see how you did that.
    I got all the stuff but still haven't started my A/C install yet, hope to soon.

I used an aluminum bulkhead fitting where the original heater hoses went thru. I had to also drill to the right of those two hoses for the bracket. 2 heater hoses and 2 A/C lines make up the bulkhead fitting. I ran the heater hoses along the frame in their original location and drilled a hole, top and bottom in the flat plate wall, where they go thru and up to the engine, for the A/C lines. I used 45 and 90 degree fittings underneath so that I could tuck everything neatly together and still retain the original horns.

65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco21
    65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco22

The hose clamps are for mock up, I have a permanent single band clamp I will use to finish up with.

Last edited by Indian640 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 am

Here`s a pic topside of the compressor and drier. I made a bracket to hold the drier next to the compressor. I`m still fitting the condensor to the front of the radiator and all the lines.
    65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco23
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 am

I like those bulfhead fittings. I need to check with my supplier (Old Air Products) before I get started on mine. Wish I'd thunk of that when I bought the system!
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 am

Art
    Thanks for all the pics...great lookin job.
    I like the way you think out the placement of EVERYTHING.
    Real professional look.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanx guys, I purchased the bulkhead fittings separately from the kit. The company I dealt with was Classic Auto Air, in Grapevine, Texas. 877-342-5526. But I believe Speedway in Iowa or Southern Air in South Carolina has the same fittings cheaper. The kit came with rubber bushings also, but I feel that this is a stronger set up. Here`s another pic from the side.....
    65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco24
    I also had to modify the top part of the grill slightly, but it can`t be seen.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Got the A/C lines done this weekend... 6 all together. I will try to get them home this week. I have to make some brackets for the condenser to radiator and then fit the new "pusher" fan. Here`s a pic of all the lines, not including the 2 heater core lines.....65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco25

65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco28
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Here`s a close up shot of the steering drop column tray. I painted it the orange, with the center the wrinkle black, same as the column and then pinstriped it with silver One-Shot....65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco29

65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco30
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 am

Art
    We are all pullin for you to come up with a great AC installation.
    Carl and I will be puttin ours on straight sixes.
    Compressor will be on the other side so we'll have a better run on the
    AC hoses. Just wondering what layer radiator you are using on your setup ..2, 3 or 4 layer? Is that the condenser I see mounted in front of the radiator? What AMP max alternator did you use? Some guys use a 90 AMP. How is the Taurus electric fan install coming? I owe you a sixpack for all the info you are givin me.

Oh, by the way. I read in another thread that Vic is installing a couple of AC aftermarkets. He was talking about installing crossmember brackets from light bucket to light bucket to pick up the extra weight from the under dash unit. Are you dealing with any weight issues of your dash fans?
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 am

Hey Jim,
    Sorry I couldn`t get to answer this sooner.
    The unit I`m using is a self contained heat/A/C that doesn`t weight a ton. I welded small (1/2") angle iron from the passenger side of the body, above the headlight, to the bracket that is welded for the radio?) in the middle under the dash. I then welded two more angle pieces straight down to hold the unit and a small bracket from the top of the unit to the bottom of the dash to keep it from moving back and forth. If you look at the picture you can see the main bracket thru the glove box, up high. The only thing I have to do is to modify or make a new glove box liner with a notch to go back in. Also I removed the original heater and drivers side air box and made and welded plates to cover the holes.65 Spring Special Progress Report 65_eco42
    65 Spring Special Progress Report Ac_65_10
    On your other questions, I`m using an aluminum 3 core radiator with a 18" x 15-1/2" condenser that flows out the bottom. I still have to make brackets for it to attach it to the radiator. I have a pusher fan that I will mount in front of that and I`m also using the mechanical fan/water pump from the engine. I wanted to wire the pusher fan to run after the motor is shut off and to kick in in high temps as an assist. The alt. is a 90 amp or better GM one wire unit.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Guys,
     It`s been a few years since I`ve shelved this project and now starting over with it again.
        Really bummed to hear about Chris.  I had alot of problems with my son also, so this went from a father and son to now a father project. But I`m excited to get everything out of moth balls and back on the bench. I have a friend whose shop will be helping me kick some live into this ride and come out with the wheels smoking. I will start to post pics of the progress as we get there.
        Should be ready by Spring, hence the Spring Special.... lol     Art

[img]65 Spring Special Progress Report Photo_12[/img]
    [img]65 Spring Special Progress Report Photo_13[/img]
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:43 am

Good to see you back again. I've been wondering about you and your truck.

Duane in Tennessee
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:45 pm

Also glad to see you still have it and your back in the saddle to get her done. Looking forward to following along with your build.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:50 am