VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

harmonic balancer bolt?

harmonic balancer bolt? Empty harmonic balancer bolt?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 am

When I began rebuilding my '66 Ford 240 I noticed that there was no bolt on the harmonic balancer. When I took my crank into be turned down the old guy at the shop asked where the bolt was. I told him that there wasn't one when I pulled the timing cover off. Since then I haven't found anyone who knows if the bolt is even necessary. There is scaring on the outside of the timing cover which i s probably a result of the absence of the mysterious bolt.
    Now the scond issue. I was gifted a Clifford intake (sweet right). I now have an issue because I now need headers. Clifford offers headers but there really pricey, I could probably buy the flange and fab some but that's a pain in the butt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also I plan on running a Holley 350.

Thankks,
    Rod.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

harmonic balancer bolt? Empty Re: harmonic balancer bolt?

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:39 am

looks to me that its a press on pulley and the crank is threaded for the installation tool.

harmonic balancer bolt? Ford_210

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:45 pm

That makes sense...thanks, that's at least one thing I can scratch off my list
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Rod,
    Confirmed, No bolt in the crank. It will hit the fan if you have one in it. Just a press fit like Donivan said.

Better check that Clifford. I believe it will hit the doghouse on our trucks. It does or the carb does. Can't remember for sure. The Clifford is really a high RPM manifold. Good for racing, not so good on the street. The hot ticket on the 240 is Edelbrock one barrel manifold. Really wakes up the six. Very hard to find though.

Duane in Tennessee

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:32 pm

thanks Duane I appreciate it. I think its the carb that hits. Ill let you know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:57 pm