VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
dix
Bruce67Econoline
vanny
Big W
dodge man
1040imp
mbasaraba
Vanner63
MikeShums
Rayallen
wirepuller
RodStRace
EconoUSAparts
Linoman
cocovi
64Handivan
Digz
Vanish
wylee
bugeye bob
kiwimopar
SDEconoTruck
sasktrini
Nightmoves
G-Man
Sy Hollinshead
30 posters

1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 Empty Re: 1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:54 pm

The doghouse on Chevy's is the same way. Very nice job on the seat bracket and the seats look great
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 Empty Re: 1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Post by Linoman Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Sy ~ your van is looking great!. I also made the mistake of measuring the driver side and assuming the passenger side would be the same. Got lucky in that the auto parts recycler was nice enough to take them back. ~ Tim
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 pm

It all looks really nice !! Cool
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 pm

SY I PM'd you about a month or so ago and havent gotten a reply. I need an address to send the clips to. Also need to know if you need the sway bar clamps or if you got new ones since they come with the bushings at a lot of shops.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Tim, i think you are confusing me with someody else, as i haven't ordered anything off you. There is another guy on here called Snelly who has a van the same colour as mine in the UK. He has never posted on the forum, but i received a few PMs off him about his van. Perhaps it was him that asked for some parts.

Regards
    Sy
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 am

Ok so Im a little cornfused, I'll agree. I'm actually trying to contract rhysaccess but I am getting no replys to my PM's I send him. If he reads this contact me direct at EconoUSAparts@fuse.net
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:32 am

Tim, I'm amazed that you can juggle so many van parts and customers so well.
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 5-anim
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm

I miss a few of course but I try Smile
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 am

Managed to get some new shocks at last. The postage for new ones from the USA was ridiculous, so i have been putting up with the old spring shocks that look very old.

After a bit of research on Rockauto, i found out that the shocks on the Econolines are the same as the Toyota Landcruiser from the early 80s, except the rear ones on the Toyota fit the front ones on the Econoline and vice versa....
    So i managed to get hold of a pair of new rear shocks for a Toyota Landcruiser and have just fitted them on the front of the Econoline...
    Wow, what a difference that has made, the old ones must have been completely shot, as every time i went over a speed hump there was a lot of crashing and banging before. Now i can go over them at any speed and there is no banging....
    Working on sealing all the windows in now, to make the van a bit more waterproof...

Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:23 am

The van just passed its annual MOT test this morning... Very Happy

Not sure what you guys have to do in the USA, but over here all vehicles are checked annually to make sure they are road worthy....
    Everything was absolutely fine. The only 2 things that were mentioned was some play in the steering box, and a small leak on the rear axle.
    I knew about both these faults already, so no nasty surprises.

I still haven't managed to find a source for a steering box that doesn't cost the earth, but i will keep trying....
    Sy
    wirepuller
    wirepuller

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Post by wirepuller Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 am

Great work on Mr Bump!

Have you gotten any further with decisions on the ragtop roof? I recently purchased a 61 E100 with the camper top and have been tossing the idea around of going ragtop. I have found a company in California that makes a 40"x80" ragtop. The site is: http://www.slidingragtops.com and they have some pretty detailed pictures on how to install it.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 am

I am planning on buying a ragtop from this firm over in the UK...

http://www.parisbeetles.co.uk/bus%20sunroofs.htm

They are designed for VWs but should easily fit an Econoline. The biggest they do is 49" by 96", which is big enough to cover the hole and allow me to trim the rusty edge that looks like it was never treated after being cut....!!!!

Won't be doing it until next year, as i am currently restoring an Austin Mini Van to fund the Econoline restoration.... I look forward to seeing how you get on with yours. Post plebty of piccies when you do it....
    Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:50 am

Ok,so i have finally got round to posting an update on my van. After a bit of a nightmare end to our holiday, when the engine mount failed (see other thread here)

engine mount failure

I placed an order for a new radiator, via ebay. I bought this one about a month ago

Ebay link

and it finally arrived last week.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 IMG_0023
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 IMG_0024

I also received a big box of stuff from Macs which included 2 new engine mounts amongst other things. The new radiator looks awesome, it is a 4 core one which should hopefully help to cool things down properly. I have binned the mechanical fan, which was very bent, in favour of an electric one.
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 IMG_0025

The electric fan is made by a company called Kenlowe, and it was very expensive, costing more than the radiator, but i went with this one because it has a very quiet 2 speed motor, along with an adjustable thermostat. The probe just slots inbetween the fins of the radiator, and you can set it to come on at whatever temperature you like. The fan kicks in low speed, and if the temperature gets 5 degrees hotter, it kicks up to full speed.
    Also, the fittings that it comes with are very clever. You can see the adjustable feet in the piccy above, that allow the fan to be mounted in all different positions, with rubber bungs hopefully keeping the noise down a bit.

I just have a trial fit of the radiator, and as always it didn't quite fit as well as i had hoped. The radiator is the same size as the old one, which is fine, but unfortunately the transmission cooler connections are only 3/8 unf, whilst the male connectors on the van are 1/2 unf. I have managed to locate a supplier of adaptors that will hopefully fit, but now i have to wait to receive these, which will probably take ages at this time of year.
    Also, the top radiator hose fitting is 1 1/2 inches instead of 1 1/4 so i need a different hose for that as well.
    Apart from that it has been a doddle to fit so far, i will take some more piccies tomorrow once i have wired the new fan in.

Last edited by Sy Hollinshead on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:10 am; edited 6 times in total
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:56 am

I am sure you spend the most of your time waiting for parts to arrive from the USofA. I think I watch a little to much Wheeler Dealers, been watching it for a few seasons now.

Id imagine it takes a ton of patience restoring a American classic in the UK, but you have made a lot more progress than some of us here. Nice Radiator by the way. A nice shiny rad sure helps spruce up the engine bay.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:01 am

I give up trying to make these pictures fit the screen. Edited that last post 5 times with different sized pictures, and still it enlarges them and cuts the end off....!!
    MikeShums
    MikeShums

Number of posts : 116
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post by MikeShums Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:15 am

Sy,

great progress and great thread. If you are still looking for a steering box, check with Fred Carello (fmc56 on this forum) I know that he has come into several boxes that he is selling. Located in Rhode Island US.

Mike in Mass
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks for that, i have PMd fred about steering boxes. I did make some attempts to get one last year but nobody got back to me.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Great work Sy. And when you get a chance to come across the pond I'll let set my Econoline up like yours. LOL

Very nice work. By the way, what is the car in your picture?

have a Happy New Year!

Thom
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:39 am

The van in my avatar is my 1972 Austin Mini van. It is currently in my garage having some of the bodywork sorted out. Once that is done i will be getting on with the econoline properly.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 Momo

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 _L5I5789

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 4 Dash
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:39 am

You know, if I had studied that avatar photo a little closer I probably would have figured it out. From the overhead angle it looked like another vehicle that I had seen in Washington, D.C. while in the Air Force, some type of Holden I believe.

I have a friend who retired from the Air Force and much of the time he was stationed in England. His passion was the minis and he raced, chopped and cut these cars up to build into street cars and racers. The one he has now was well renowned in racing circles in England and is worth about $50,000. It is still set up in racing form and sits under a canvas cover in the back of his garage. I am in the process of building a new garage for him that will allow him to show his cars. He has an eclectic mix of British and American cars.

The Austins and the MG's have always been my favorites. But at 6'4" and 235 lbs it is a bit of a squeeze. Why is it the big guys always like the small cars? LOL. I have a 1979 MG roadster that belongs to a friend and I have been trying to sort out all types of problems with previous owner issues. Jury-rigged to be more specific.

I will share these photos with my friend Ron as he had a mini minivan while in England years ago.

Have a great New Year!

Thom

Last edited by twday on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added content)
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:52 am

OK. So i haven't taken any more pictures yet, but Mr Bump is now up and running again....!!!! bounce

The radiator is in and i have fitted a thermostat now, as there wasn't one before.
    I also disovered the reason the transmission cooler lines didn't fit. I was moving the old radiator in the garage when i noticed that it had adaptors screwed into it still......!!!!! doh.....!!!!

So the van is now running well again. I changed the engine mounts as well, and the mechanical fan is now gone. I have an electric fan to hook up next week, but for now the van is running, as long as i don't sit in traffic for too long...!!
    It seems to sit at 160 degrees now, although the thermostat i fitted is supposed to be 180 degrees. Not sure why that is, although it may be an inaccurate temperature gauge, but the gauge and sender are new and matched. Will have to see what its like in warmer weather.
    I may also buy one of those digital thermometers to get a better idea of the water temperature.

The engine revs much easier and quieter now without the mechanical fan. It will be interesting to see what effect this has on fuel economy. I'm hoping it will help a bit.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 am

Just picked up this today. These engines are rare in the UK, so when one came up 60 miles from my house i had to go and get it...!!!

Ebay engine

Its the same engine as i already have in mine, so will serve as a spare. It will also come in handy when i have to fabricate brackets for the air con that i will eventually be fitting.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 am

Great find!!!! We are lucky here, even minor parts are hard for you to find
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Nice score!
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 am

First time I have seen your thread and I just read all the way through, was a pleasure to read. I had started a thread about seats yesterday and then was happy to see you posted about your Porche seats.

How are they holding up? I might have to look into some like this. I was hoping a Cadilac CTS seats with the built in seatbelts would work but just dont think they will so looking at other options.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 5:39 pm