VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
dix
Bruce67Econoline
vanny
Big W
dodge man
1040imp
mbasaraba
Vanner63
MikeShums
Rayallen
wirepuller
RodStRace
EconoUSAparts
Linoman
cocovi
64Handivan
Digz
Vanish
wylee
bugeye bob
kiwimopar
SDEconoTruck
sasktrini
Nightmoves
G-Man
Sy Hollinshead
30 posters

1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. Empty 1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Ok, so the time has finally come for me to start working on my camper van, so i thought i would start a thread on it to keep track of the progress.

We had decided a couple of years ago that we wanted a camper van. My wife likes the VW style splitscreen vans from the 60s, but i can't stand them, and they are WAY over priced over here. They rust too easily, and have miserable little engines in them.
    I started looking for something interesting by doing a series of searches on Ebay. At that point i had no idea what to buy, but wanted something unusual. I came across a Ford Falcon Econoline that had been painted red,white and blue in a very striking pattern. I had never seen one before, and liked the look of it. Here is a quick piccie...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 6648_1

The paint job wasn't to my liking, but we decided to go and have a look at it, as i could easily repaint it. Anyway, to cut a long story short we fell in love with this van, but didn't buy it due to the amount of bodywork/rust that would eventually require attention. However we were well and truly hooked on the idea, so i started searching straight away for something similar.
    The search was hopeless, there was nothing available in the UK, so i started looking on EBAY USA. Eventually one came up that we liked the look of, and on a whim i just clicked the Buy It Now button. Here are some of the piccies from the ebay ad....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. B96e_1

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 3ccf_1

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. Cca4_1

The van had been partly restored by the PO. The paint was new, and the engine had been rebuilt, along with a lot of the parts in it as well.
    I then sold my 1970 Mustang with a 460 big block to fund the project and make some room in the garage....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. Mustang1

So then all we had to do was wait for it to be delivered... It turned up about 3 months later, on a low loader, after travelling about 6000 miles at sea, including the panama canal....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. PICT0004

Over all, the van looked in very good condition, although i was annoyed that the camper roof had been irrepairably damaged during transportation. Nobody owned up to what had happened, but it was obvious from the two scratch lines down the rear doors that the whole roof had flipped open whilst at speed, and had gone right over the back of the van. Upon further inspection, it became apparent that the roof had only been held in with a piece of thin electrical wire, and this had broken. Apart from that it looked good. So the van was put away in the garage, and there it has sat ever since.

I have to go to work now, but will continue the story when i get home....

Regards
    Sy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. Empty Re: 1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Post by G-Man Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:00 am

Great story sy!!!! Look forward to updates
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:52 am

Well, there isn't too much more to add yet. The van has been sat in my garage now for nearly 2 years. I have been busy with other things. I had to build a loft conversion on my house to make way for this little fella....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1177

Albert was born last May, and he has kept us busy ever since. But finally i have pretty much finished the house, and i can get on with the van.

I have now removed the camper roof, apart from an angled edge that runs all the way around which is giving the roof a bit of support. The camper conversion, which i'm presuming was done from new, was actually pretty rubbsih, so in a way i'm glad it was destroyed, as now i have had to get rid of it. Given the choice i would have probably kept it, but it was very poorly constructed and looked a bit naff....!!!
    The only rust i have found on the van is around the edge of this roof, where the metal was hacked away. It doesn't look like the bare edge was treated with anything to prevent it from rusting when the conversion was carried out. Fortunately this van lived in California, so it isn't too bad....!!!

I have also removed all of the wiring, here it is on my garage floor....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 100_0196

I have put in a temporary alternator for now, much simpler wiring.
    So the plan is now to do the wiring. I will be doing this in 2 stages. Firstly i will be concentrating on getting the van road legal, so i will be fitting a fusebox to provide power to all the lights and stuff. Then at a later date i will put a second fusebox in, running off seperate leisure batteries, to supply the interior lighting, fridge, tv etc....
    I have bought some new gauges, and made a dash panel out of 12mm perspex that i have routed to suit....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0026

And thats about it for now. I will be wiring up the battery properly this weekend, with new cables and a proper isolator. Once i have done this i will be able to put the drivers seat back in and then i need to work out how to fit some 3 point seatbelts... I will update with piccies as soon as i can...

Sy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Great gauges!!!!
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 pm

First off,Thats one cute little man ya got they Sy. Those guages ad your set up will look good in there.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Yup... a chip off the old block! Thanks for sharing!
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:41 am

Managed to tick off a few more jobs today. I had to replace the rear lights, in order to make them suitable for UK road laws. I found something the right sort of size that will do for now.
    I had to cut out the existing bodywork behind the old lights. I just used a drill and made a lot of holes to start with...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1424

Then i used a right angled cut off grinder to remove the rest...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1427

I pained the cut edges and left to dry overnight, and then fitted the new lights into place....
    I'm quite pleased with the result. Didn't take too long either...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1428

I also fitted one of the mirrors. I spent most of the day taking the old mirrors apart and cleaning them up. Although they are made of aluminium and stainless steel, they had been assembled using mild steel nuts and bolts, which had seized solid with rust and also stained the aluminium and stainless bits. I had to spend quite a few hours sanding out the stains with metal polish and fine sandpaper. The next task was to drill the holes for the mirrors, as my van had no holes whatsoever. I managed to locate the original holes which had been welded up very well, and drilled them out again. Then i temporarily bolted the mirror in place to see how it looked.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1432

The bolts are all just temporary, i am awaiting a delivery of various sizes of stainless steel dome nuts to make the job look neater. Here is a piccy of the van as he looks at the moment...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1431

Oh, and i also managed to figure out some fittings for the 3 point seatbelts. The drivers side is fitted, and is comfortable to wear.... I will eventually strengthen all the areas with some plates welded in, but these fittings will suffice for the moment to get the car through an MOT test over here....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1422

By the way, my van is called Mr Bump, after this cartoon character.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 9781846462566

Regards
    Sy
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Well done Sy,

Mr. Bump should pass inspection straight-away... ...keep the
    pressure on that list of items to do!

BTW, could you show the method of seatbelt retraction?
    (ie. Did you install a device at the bottom/floor)

Thanks,
    George
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Yeah, no probs. The seatbelt is an inertia reel type. It came with a number of mounting brackets, so i bent one to suit the angle of the inner wheel arch. They have to be mounted perfectly upright or they don't release the belt properly....!
    I will be reinforcing the area where the bolts go through, to give maximum strength....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1433

You can just about make out the stalk in this piccy, which is mounted to the original lapbelt position....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1434

Oh, and i also managed to find some lights to fit in the holes left by the rear bumper. I won't be using front or rear bumpers so was pleased that i found something that fitted without any modification. I just had to warm them up a bit with a heat gun to get them to bend to the correct shape...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. CIMG1435

Regards
    Sy
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:19 pm

Excellent. Thank you Sy.

I am in the market to get something very similar, so you've piqued
    my interest. I have been looking at aftermarket retracts, but maybe
    I'll find something used but safe.

As a Mechanical Engineer, I am a little cautious of the worst-case
    load path for any belt system. Is yours the final set-up or is it mocked-up?

I really like that cable "belt" on the other end, keeps everything tidy
    and easy to use.

It's Father's Day on this side of the pond, so Happy Father's Day to
    ya!

Best,
    George
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Its just mocked up at the moment, i will be doing some welding on all the mount areas to achieve stronger mounting points.

Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 am

Well, another weekend is over, and a few more jobs have been ticked off the list. I managed to get all the doors aligned and shutting properly. The passenger side front door was a bit of a nightmare, but in the end i got it to shut correctly, although i had to bin the door seal. These were newly fitted seals from a company called Dennis Carpenter, and they are complete garbage. I am planning on buying some different rubber seals and making some of my own that actually fit....!!!!
    I fitted all the door handles and locks as well. I have been putting this off for ages, as i didn't have a clue how it all worked, but i have a big box of nuts, bolts, screws and brackets that came with the van and i managed to find all the necessary parts to get them all working properly. I also finished off drilling all the holes for the passenger side seatbelt and temporarily fitted the seatbelt.

So now i just need to replace the brake lines and give all the brakes a bit of an overhaul. They had just been done apparently before i bought the van, but i will be giving it all a thorough check over before i drive this thing. Then it is just a case of making a wiring loom, which will probably take a few weeks, and then the car will be going for an MOT test to check whether it is safe to go on the public roads, and then i just need to license it for the UK and get a number plate assigned.
    Here are a few piccies of the van as it is now. Not much has changed visually, but all the doors fit really well now....
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0184
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0182
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0180

Regards
    Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:09 am

Another weekend done, and a few more jobs have been ticked off on the list.
    I have started the wiring now, so the progress will be slow and not too noticeable for the next few weeks, but i will take piccies of anything i can.
    First of all i wired up the new gauges. I made a panel out of perspex and routed it out to accept all the gauges and LED lights. Then i painted it in porcelain green. Some of you may notice that the gauge panel doesn't match the colour of the rest of the van. That is because the rest of the van is going to get repainted in that green eventually....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0193

It took me all day to wire up all the gauges and lights, and check that they all work. Now i just need to fit the fuseboard behind the dash, and start connecting everything together. I haven't got all the dashboard switches, and will be requiring a lot more as well, so i am going to fit some temporary switches in a temporary panel below the dashboard until funds will allow me to buy all new dashboard switches.
    Oh, and i painted the front grill as well. I will eventually be making a stainless steel one, but for now i decided to fit the original one. It was just painted in primer, so i bought some chrome enamel paint from the local motor shop and gave it a go. I wasn't expecting much, but i am quite pleased with the result. Its not as shiny as chrome, but it kind of matches the rest of the aluminium trim on the front....

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0189

Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:17 am

By the way, on the dashboard, just to the left of the glovebox, are a load of horizontal vents cut in. I have seen these on other dashes, but what were they for....? At the moment i can see all the wiring through the holes, and was thinking about putting a cover over the back. Is it a heater vent...?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:22 am

Looking very good Sy!

I'm a little surprised that you were so disappointed in the seals... I understand that their reputation is much better than you experienced with their product. Seals are a particularly sore point when restoring Econolines however. Maybe you could elaborate on your experience when installing the seals? My understanding with any products like this is that they will never be plug-and-play in a manner of speaking.

Your gauge pod has no exposed screw heads... is it just placed in, or did you come up with some trick to stealth the install? Nice choice of gauges and faces!

The slots housed a speaker Sy... a single speaker for the mono AM radio.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 am

Man,that dash cluster looks great,mounted & with guages.Very clean,neat,as well as the belts too.Good work Sy !
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am

sasktrini wrote:Looking very good Sy!

I'm a little surprised that you were so disappointed in the seals... I understand that their reputation is much better than you experienced with their product. Seals are a particularly sore point when restoring Econolines however. Maybe you could elaborate on your experience when installing the seals? My understanding with any products like this is that they will never be plug-and-play in a manner of speaking.

Your gauge pod has no exposed screw heads... is it just placed in, or did you come up with some trick to stealth the install? Nice choice of gauges and faces!

The slots housed a speaker Sy... a single speaker for the mono AM radio.

Cheers for the info. I didn't actually install the seals myself, the previous owner fitted them just before he sold it, so it is possible that this has something to do with it, although having taken some measurements i can see a few issues. The main problem that i have is with the thickness of the rubber in certain places. For example along the bottom of the doors, the seals are solid rubber, but with the doors fitting flush, the gap is a lot less, about half in fact, than the thickness of the seal. This is causing the doors to bulge out, putting stress on the hinges, and also making it very hard to close the doors. I will be buying some hollow D section rubber seals and will have a go at making my own. These will compress much more easily than the solid seals so will put less stress on the doors.
    The gauge panel is fixed in using something called butyl, which is a very sticky putty type substance that is used for sealing panels and is great for getting rid of rattling panels.... It comes on a roll and you can stretch it out to different thicknesses. Awesome stuff....!!!

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:13 am

Great looking van Sy, and some excellent workmanship on your part Cool

Here are some pictures of my seatbelt mounts - plates are welded to the body work, and meet New Zealand's strict rules for safety. I used the 500mm long stalks for each seat, and retractables of course.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. B583d26b

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 997a2c07

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 93da1a17

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. C0777f49

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 94a93819

and the latest picture from our Magazine Editor.....
    1964 Econoline camper in the UK. 404f3d5a

Welcome to the site Sy

cheers
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:47 am

OK, another small update. I am geting on with the wiring now, so visibly there isn't much progress, but i have a few new photos....

I have spent the last few days starting to assemble the main fusebox. It came off a car i scrapped a few years ago, and only had very short wires going to it, so i had to extend every wire. Very tme consuming.... I also have a relay module that holds all the relays, flashers and buzzers etc. This came off the same car, and is mounted next to the fuseboard. I am also fitting a full alarm system, which is what the silver box contains...

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0194

Here is a photo of the back to show the birds nest of wires.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0195

And here it is installed in the van. I decided to fit the panel behind the glovebox, so there is very little room left for the wifes makeup....!!!! Anyway, it makes it nice and accessable, and there is still room for a small glovebox eventually. The perspex panel is simply bolted straight onto the back of the vent box thingy....!! Quite pleased with the progress so far, now i just have to connect the wires to everything....!!!

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. IMG_0196

Sy
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 am

Good job, Sy... Brilliant!
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Your work looks 'neat/clean' Sy.Nice job.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Looking good Sy Very Happy

The fun starts when you begin the hook-up.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah, i will be starting that tomorrow. Everything is individually fused, so nothing major can go wrong....!!! We'll find out soon enough...

Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, i made 2 steps forward and about 8 steps back today. The wiring is all finished and everything worked perfectly first time, apart from a dodgy flasher unit which was quickly replaced. So i moved on to the cars brakes and steering today. What a nightmare.....!!! The previous owner has managed to neglect the kingpins and these are going to need replacing. I was thinking about buying the set that Macs sell... Has anybody got any comments about the ones they sell, as i have heard there are some dodgy ones about...!!!
    Also, the rear brake cylinders are leaking, so these need replacing as well before i can think about taking this thing for its MOT test.
    I have also bought the POR15 fuel tank treatment kit, so i will be getting on with this whilst i wait for the parts to arrive from the USA...!!!

Sy
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 pm

Sy Hollinshead wrote:..............I have also bought the POR15 fuel tank treatment kit, so i will be getting on with this whilst i wait for the parts to arrive from the USA...!!!

Sy

Make sure you leave the POR15 in the tank for several days in nice warm conditions before installing in your van. I used it, and we sat the tank in a plastic house (like a huge glasshouse) for a few days, and the stuff goes off really well.

Looking good. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:16 pm