VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
dix
Bruce67Econoline
vanny
Big W
dodge man
1040imp
mbasaraba
Vanner63
MikeShums
Rayallen
wirepuller
RodStRace
EconoUSAparts
Linoman
cocovi
64Handivan
Digz
Vanish
wylee
bugeye bob
kiwimopar
SDEconoTruck
sasktrini
Nightmoves
G-Man
Sy Hollinshead
30 posters

1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 6 Empty Re: 1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm

So, i've been wanting to do this for years, and i finally got around to covering the inside of the doghouse with a foil and butyl sheet similar to dynamat.

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 6 IMG_02421

Not the tidiest engine bay in the world, but hopefully one of the coolest...!!!

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 6 IMG_02451

Man, what a fiddly job that turned out to be. I had to remove the front bit of the doghouse in front of the radiator as it was just too awkward. Thats when i discovered that the previous owner had lost all the captive nuts that hold the doghouse in place and just used normal ones.....!!! What a pain that turned out to be....!!! I had to remove a few things that were bolted to the sides of the doghouse, such as the starter solenoid, msd igition box, msd blaster coil, relay box etc. It was a very fiddly job, looking forward to doing the nice big flat panels and doors next which will be a doddle in comparison. All in all it took about 7 hours to do and probably cost around $60 in materials. This stuff is called SilentCoat and is apparently better than dynamat as the butyl layer is thicker. I haven't been for a test ride yet as it was so hot today i thought i was going to melt. I cleaned the butyl off my hands, took off my clothes and jumped in my sons paddling pool to cool down...!!! Will be going for a test ride tomorrow to see what volume and temperature levels are like.

I also just got a parcel from the States with a pair of chrome Camaro Split front bumpers off a 71-73 Camaro. These are going on the front of the van, will stick some photos up when i do that.

Sy
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 6 Empty Re: 1964 Econoline camper in the UK.

Post by vanny Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 pm

That looks Fantastic Sy! Much more sorted than mine. Let us know if it makes a difference with the cooling effect... Can't wait to see more pics! It sure cleans up the look of the inside of the doghouse. You did a nice clean job and should be proud of it. 1964 Econoline camper in the UK. - Page 6 Thumbs11

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Neatbeard
    Neatbeard

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2014-10-02

Post by Neatbeard Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:39 am

Great looking van Sy. I'll keep an eye out for it at any shows I go to.

Im hoping to get my hands on a A108 very soon. Smile

econofan63
    econofan63

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2014-10-16

Post by econofan63 Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:35 pm

sundanceuk wrote:Hi, Stumbled across your post whilst looking at pictures of early econolines on Google, the photo led me to this forum.
    Sy Your van is Great, a credit to youm and all the hard work you've put into it.
    I have a friend who lives in South London who is a confirmed Early Econoline NUT, He has had numerous Econs since I've known him from the mid 70s, all earlies.
    He has had Window vans, Panel Vans and Pick ups, Currently he has a 61 panel van that he has owned for over 40 years, It was originally customized by "The Van Shop" in east london and had art work on it depicting old london and was called London Scene, It has now been painted black and has a Chevy 350 engine.
    He also owns a 64 econoline camper, with just over 400 miles on the clock, genuine FOURHUNDRED miles, It was originally bought at a dealers in the USA, driven to a Camper company who converted it and then driven to the docks and shipped to the UK, when it arrived here it was driven to a lock up garage in London and forgotten about until steve bought it in the late 90s, and it has still not been registered in the UK.
    He also has another window van that is a complete rolling shell, he keeps saying that he is going to fit a BMW diesel in it and us it as a daily driver, but hge has said that for nearly 12 years.
    The guys name is Steve Nicholls (are you on here Mate ? ) AKA Cadillac Steve.
    A
    OK enough waffling, once again GREAT VAN, so I am now off to read all the other posts on here.

hi sundance
    its a small world, ive known steve nichols for several years now, hes a font of knowledge with anything econoline. funny thing is i met him via another econo forum, got some parts off him when i got my pickup. that camper of his is a beauty. its strange how we have to join forums in the states to discover guys who live a few miles away
    mick
    econofan63
    econofan63

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2014-10-16

Post by econofan63 Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:36 pm

sy
    that looks like a job well done, where did you get the foil from?
    mick
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 pm

The foil is called silent coat. There is a seller on eBay called the sound deadening shop that have a really good selection of stuff. I also bought there 20mm thick foil covered foam under bonnet kit. One piece covered the entire lid when cut to shape. There is now no noise coming from the doghouse at all, and the lid stays completely cold to the touch. The noise in the cab has been dramatically reduced, so much so that I can now hear lots of rattles and squeaks from elsewhere that weren't noticeable before. I can definitely recommend it, it's not the cheapest stuff about, but is well worth the money. I have also started to do the rest of the van with it too, starting with the roof and working my way down. I figured if I buy a pack every month or two it won't seem so expensive to do the whole van.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Sy, you have done a great job on your van, it looks great. There is one spot that cought my eye that I think could be improved. Looking at the front of the van, you can see the blue color behind the headlight grills, and the darker area where the air vent is. I would suggest removing the grills and paint the area black. This will make the chrome grills stand out much more. JMHO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:06 am