VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

tranny problem

tranny problem Empty tranny problem

Post by Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:22 pm

how do i adjust the trans to shift better. 2nd and 3rd seem to be good.
    but the lever on R and 1st seems loose..
    sometimes i cant find R or 1st and when i let go off the clutch it goes either forward or backwards
    thanks in advance..
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

tranny problem Empty Re: tranny problem

Post by RodStRace Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:09 pm

There are adjustments outlined in the service manual, but it sounds like you have loosey-gooesy on the one shift rod. Have someone move it from R to 1 as you check the whole thing out up close. It will probably be a combo of worn holes, worn rod ends, no washer and wrong clips, and at the back the shift arm loose on the shift arm stud. Clean, lube, tighten and fix (weld up and file to the right size) all components and it should work better than 2-3!
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 pm

you can get door hinge bushings from body shop suppliers that are very close in size to the linkage ends on some of these trannys. if your are shot and i'm sure they are these bushings will help. there is about four or five different sizes and styles to choose from so your not limited in your repair. its easier sometimes to make a replaceable bushing fit rather than a hard to find shifter rod or linkage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:58 am