VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

idling question

idling question Empty idling question

Post by Guest Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 am

We got the van running pretty decent, but wont idle right at choke (off) it stalls. It will run pretty smooth when choke is half closed but runs fast. Any ideas? I have tried moving distributor postion doesnt do much. I think when I rebuilt the carb I lost one of the steel BB's from inside would this be the problem? If so does any one have one for sale?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

idling question Empty Re: idling question

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:48 am

I would spray some carb cleaner down the throat when it acts up and see if the engine rpms pick up,,,,,,if it does, start spraying the sides and base of the carb and see if you find a spot that makes it run better. You could just have the idle screw out too much and the fast idle cam on the choke is raising the engine speed. What carb do you have?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 am

Is it this one?

idling question Autoli10

Post by Guest Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Yes thats the carb.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 pm

with manual choke
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:14 pm

So the question is,,,,,,,,did it act like that before you worked on it. And does the accelerator pump squirt fuel when you pump it? And since the points are the root of all evil, are they set right? Did you get new check balls with the kit? are you sure you lost one? I guess you could measure one of those other check balls and post it to see if someone has one or some left over in a kit. But do the spray,,,,,lets see if the carb is running lean, then go on to low RPMs or running rich,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 pm

I ordered a petronix ignition and coil to put on it today. I couldnt find one of the check balls when rebuilding it thinking maybe i could sqeak by with out it. I didnt see any other ones in the rebuild kit. Accelerator pump has been rebuilt and is in good working order. I sprayed starting fluid in the throat while it was running it bogs it down. Then sprayed it around the base and all seals it didnt charge the rpms.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:59 pm

When it is running bad, just squirt a tiny bit of carb cleaner in there, too much will bog it down,,,,,,,do you have that dashpot set up on the other side of the accelerator pump? How many check balls do you think you had 2 or 3 ? Which one do you think you left out,,,,,,
    so what happens when you adjust the mixture screw,,,,,,can you kill the engine when you screw it in ? Does it smell bad when its idling like too much fuel,,,,,can you see fuel dripping down in the carb when it is running? does it seem like you got too much fuel,,,,,,,,and did it run good before you worked on it,,,,,,why did you rebuild that carb?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:04 pm