VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Throttle linkage for V8 converstion

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Throttle linkage for V8 converstion Empty Throttle linkage for V8 converstion

Post by Digz Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm making a few upgrades on my 65 in hopes of a future V8 as i redo the body.
    I was wondering what the slickest way was to get converted from the solid throttle linkage
    to a cable set-up. What stuff should I be gathering and so on?
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Throttle linkage for V8 converstion Empty Re: Throttle linkage for V8 converstion

Post by BvrWally Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Digz...view this link and look at what Mac just installed on his early:
    http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005062.html
    I'm sure this will help you!
    B.W. Smile
    Digz
    Digz

Throttle linkage for V8 converstion Empty Re: Throttle linkage for V8 converstion

Post by Digz Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks, that gives me something to work with. Idea
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:24 pm

After I saw what Mac "learned" from TAZ...I'm obtaining the parts as we speak to do the same "Upgrade"! I so want to lose those rods!! Smile
    B.W.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:30 pm

B.W. I read the post about this conversion on VCVC. Did anyone ever confirm the length of the cable they used? They said in the post that they thought it was 8 foot. wideload
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Throttle linkage for V8 converstion Empty Throttle linkage

Post by BvrWally Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 pm

No, I never got a confirmation on that, but if Mac said 8ft. I'm sure it was! I would like to find one that has threads on each end, so as to be able to mount Heim Joints? The ones I have found so far have 1 eyelet and one threaded.
    B.W. Smile
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:54 pm

That set up is a lot neater than what was done to my 65. Who ever did mine cut the rod from the orginal linkage about 3 or 4 inches after it came through the radiator support, welded a bracket to it then went back through the rad support with a motorcycle cable and then up to the carb. At the carb they made a bracket with a motorcycle type adjuster (home made also) to adjust the cable. It works ok but there is some flex in the rad support where the cable pushes on it. This setup looks much nicer. wideload
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:08 pm

B.W. I was just looking at a Jeg's catalog and they have a shift cable that's threaded on both ends and they offer several different types of ends. The 8 foot cable part no. is 555-15708. wideload
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:38 am

Mike you ever get stared on your 1st gen doghouse re-vamp(remodel)???
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:46 am

Not yet Tom. Still haven't decided for sure if I want to leave the V8 in it or go back to an inline(6 or maby a 4cyl.). Just keeping my eye's open to see what kind of donor might pop up. I hate to tear it down because then I couldn't drive it. wideload
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:30 pm

I was wondering if that pusher cable setup is alittle slow or tight feeling on the foot pedal, ,I did a set up similar to that on a 65 gmc back in the 70s, but i was using i think , boat steering stuff,, have to knock the cobwebs out of my brain here, the 70s were a ruff patch ,,lol,,Im sure with the right stuff it would be okay, but it concerns me that a break or malfunction would hinder it returning to an idle position, we us e alot of long cables on hydraulic controls and they will wear to a point that they stick. just food for thought.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:51 pm

BvrWally wrote:Digz...view this link and look at what Mac just installed on his early:
    http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005062.html
    I'm sure this will help you!
    B.W. Smile

This link doesn't work.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:11 pm

You'll have to wait for the site to be back up once again to view it, Sorry!
    B.W.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 pm