VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
EconoUSAparts
Old Skool
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
Magic Bus
BvrWally
Slowride
11 posters

Since the gauges were going away one by one

Slowride

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Since the gauges were going away one by one Empty Since the gauges were going away one by one

Post by Slowride Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 am

It was time to come up with plan "B". For a Xmas present for my oldest son I pulled a set of NOS Sun gauges off the shelf, drew up some plans, and sent it off to my buddy at SB products to machine a custom gauge panel. I wanted something custom but not "blingy"...... something to fit the van. Here's what we came up with. Excuse the crappy cellphone pic, and we still have a date with the belt sander to give it a brushed finish. Very Happy Oh, and those 2 holes in the "O"s in Econoline? Turn signal indicators of course... afro
    Since the gauges were going away one by one Aldash
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Since the gauges were going away one by one Empty Re: Since the gauges were going away one by one

Post by BvrWally Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 am

VERY niceeeeee!!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Since the gauges were going away one by one Empty Re: Since the gauges were going away one by one

Post by Magic Bus Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:39 am

Nice indeed, be sure and post a pic of it after the install.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 am

Looks GREAT!!!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

That is cool!.. Good job!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Since the gauges were going away one by one Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Same here,, didnt want the bling, but wanted it to "look" kinda stock, until you really looked at them. Adapted Fomoco gauges to ours, goes into stock four gauge panel.
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Here is one out of the cab overs,,
    vic

https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/14/19/23/47/100_0310.jpg
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm

is it just me , or the pic came out like ????????
    vic

https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/14/19/23/47/100_0310.jpg
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Your Fomoco gauges look really bichin' Old Skool! Can you make me up a set for my '66 Econo van?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:40 pm

i like that..
    are those stock from another fomoco vehicle?
    if so, which one?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:50 pm

In four yrs, this is only the second set I have been able to put together, I sold the last set, and regreted it every since, so FINNALLY found the oil gauge for this set. The temp and the fuel gauges are not too hard to come up with, they were stock in the 60"s Ford pickups. The ammeter and the oil a little harder to locate. I think I posted a picture on how to bolt them into our four gauge box, not the idiot light ones, but the rarer four gauge ones for ours. I did make a jig fixture, to recut the two lower holes correctly in the mid panel, and also another setup to cut the lower two holes into a stock idiot liight clustter box. If you find the Fomoco gauges, simply swap the mounting plates on the gauges from our gauge onto the other, then it will mount directly into ours. Thanks for the compliments, if I can come up with some more of the oil and amp gauges, (will have to look in my stash box, LOL..) will post it.
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Hope this come through?????????? still fighting this picture thing,, dratzzzzz
    vic

https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/14/19/23/47/100_0712.jpg

Since the gauges were going away one by one 100_0712

Post by Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:51 pm

thats beautiful work.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey Guys, Old Skool,aka Vic in California,is hospitalized for the umpteenth time with heart problems. Im told he is supposedly in line for a transplant. Please keep him in your thoughts/prayers. He is a wealth of knowledge.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks Tim. Just a blink of an eye, cause he's been on a lot recently.
    Slowride

Post by Slowride Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 am

EconoUSAparts wrote:Hey Guys, Old Skool,aka Vic in California,is hospitalized for the umpteenth time with heart problems. Im told he is supposedly in line for a transplant. Please keep him in your thoughts/prayers. He is a wealth of knowledge.
    I sent him an email a few days ago and hadn't gotten a response..... hope all is well.
    Slowride

Post by Slowride Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 am

We're finishing up the wiring on the panel and will be installing the assembly this weekend. Wound up getting 5mm green LEDs for the turn signal indicators. It was a LOT easier than trying to adapt the the original bulbs to the new panel. Thing is, the LEDs are BRIGHT...... they'll light up the interior at night when they're on! The only issue is going to be adapting the fuel sender for use with the Sun gauge. Good thing it gets good gas mileage.....
    Slowride

Post by Slowride Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:23 am

Another little issue is how to tie the gauges into the existing wiring. The circuits push on to the posts of teh gauges and I really don't want to start cutting and splicing if I don't have to. I want to be able to pull this assembly off and put the old one back in easily should he decide to sell the van. What I'll be trying is using a crimp-on lug, remove the plastic insulator and use the round "tube" where the wire goes in to be crimped as a "post".
    I also ordered some BA9s wide angle LEDs for gauge illumination to try to cure the anemic lighting. It's a pain to see gauges at night, and since these are 3 times as bright as filament bulbs, the dimmer should actually DO something! I have blue and bright white coming, and if they work I'll probably start stocking them as options for the vintage Sun gauges I sell. We'll find out Saturday night.... Shocked
    Slowride

Post by Slowride Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 am

Finished up installing the new panel yesterday. Here's a few pics and tips I came up with along the way.
    I didn't want to hack the harness any more than I had to, so I had to come up with a way to use the original gauge push on connectors on the new gauges. I took the insulation off a lug, opened it up just enough for a firm connection and voilla, no cutting required (for these circuits).
    Since the gauges were going away one by one Connector1
    Since the gauges were going away one by one Connector2
    Here's the back of the panel after finishing the wiring layout.
    Since the gauges were going away one by one Panelback
    Finally, the before and afters
    Before
    Since the gauges were going away one by one Olddash
    Now
    Since the gauges were going away one by one Newdash
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 am

Looks fantastic! Glad to hear your figured it out...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Since the gauges were going away one by one Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Very cool!!!!!! Looks way better than stock
    Slowride

Post by Slowride Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 am

G-Man wrote:Very cool!!!!!! Looks way better than stock
    Thanks, the kid is happy and that's all that matters. He now has a complete working set of gauges with oil pressure and volts instead of idiot lights. One thing about using LEDs though. Unless you buy wide angle LEDs, they are directional. That means they shine straight out the front in a really intense beam. We got lucky that the beams shine just above his eyes and onto the roof. Kinda spooky at night as it lights up the cab when they flash. If they hit him in the eyes I would have had to go to plan B (whatever that would have been).
    I have a shipment of wide angle LEDs coming today that are a direct replacement for the stock cluster bulbs. I'm going to try them out in my '68 Mustang to see if they cure the lousy dash lights it has. If they work as I think they will, it'll be a Godsend to all early car owners that struggle with bad dash lighting.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am

Most modern LEDs are way too bright to use as dashboard waring lights without connecting a resistor to it first.

I used a potentiometer and experimented until i got the right sort of brightness and then just took a measurement of the resistance and found the nearest resistor value to this amount. Different colours require a different resistor value as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:17 am