VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Gauges & Sending units ?

Gauges & Sending units ? Empty Gauges & Sending units ?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Hello all, first question around here. I will try and post an into tonight and some pics
    but I need to ask a quick question. I am planning on replacing the gauges in my 62 pickup
    (144) to some equus 1.5" gauges. What is the difference between the electric and manual
    gauges? Second what sending units should I use? I'm guessing the stock ones are just for
    dummy lights like I'm used to seeing on motorcycles so they won't work with gauges?
    Thanks, Mike
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Gauges & Sending units ? Empty Re: Gauges & Sending units ?

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:40 pm

You need to get the matching sending units for each gauge you get,,,,,and they usually come with the gauges,,,,,manual gauges don't use electricity, so you connect the gauge and sender with some kind of tubing,,,,the idiot lights on the dash really use a switch to turn the lights on or off, so they are really not called sending units just sending switches. BUT it sure don't hurt if you put a "T" in the sending unit connection for the idiot light switch that will light the dash light up if you ain't paying attention to the gauge readings
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm not familiar with the Equus stuff, but i fitted all new Autometer gauges in mine recently.
    Each gauge came with the correct sender units, as well as adaptors to fit most engines, although i don't think i even needed to use any of the adaptors as they were the right size already.
    I fitted an electric oil pressure gauge with sender unit. It works really well....

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh, I don't want to mess with any tubes, guess I'll go electric. Thanks for clarifying that for me and thats a good idea about having an idiot light as well.
    I looked at the auto meter guages, I could only find the short throw ones in 1 1/2". I'm curious to know which ones you used and how you mounted them. I want to retain the stock gauge cover, suggestions?
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Ah, well i didn't use the stock gauge cover. I made another one similar to fit the new gauges....

Gauges & Sending units ? IMG_0193

Sy

Post by Guest Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 pm

thanks for the pics SY. Thats a pretty nice setup you have going there. Awhile back I saw a guy on ebay was making a gauge panel for 1.5" gauges but I can't find him now. Maybe he is a member here?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Normally, the mechanical gauges have a range that is larger (around the edge), while the electric gauges have a shorter range (usually ~90 degrees across the middle.)
    The mechanical gauges require a tube to pass the info directly to the gauge, the electric ones use a sending unit to change resistance to ground, signalling the gauge.
    Lights use a switch that is normally open until a temperature or pressure is reached, causing the circuit to be grounded, turning on the light.
    There are digital gauges, liquid filled gauges, some made offshore and some made in the US. There are also companies that will silkscreen any color, font and design you want. A good set is usually over $250, so make sure you see all the choices before committing to the first one that catches your eye.
    Linoman
    Linoman

Number of posts : 329
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by Linoman Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Is this what your looking for? Looks like it would let you keep your stock dash gauge panel but with new new 1.5" gauges. ~ Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-1967-Ford-Econoline-Gauge-Holder-Brand-New-/320575783576?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa3ce4298
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Abeblinkin wrote:thanks for the pics SY. Thats a pretty nice setup you have going there. Awhile back I saw a guy on ebay was making a gauge panel for 1.5" gauges but I can't find him now. Maybe he is a member here?

Abeblinkin, Dennis from Oregon makes a couple of different inserts and complete panels that go across a dash if it is hacked up. He is also the guy who does disc brake conversions, his email: dennis@dddiscbrakes.com; his phone # 541-760-2432. I`m having him make me an aluminum insert for 2" gauges and he has the signal arrows that are laser cut and his prices are very reasonable. Art

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Yeah Linoman thats exactly what I was looking for but I found pictures of the ones Dennis makes and now I can't make up my mind.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 pm

You can always take a stock dash and elongate the holes slightly.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:39 am