VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

removing shifter shaft from the column

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

removing shifter shaft from the column Empty removing shifter shaft from the column

Post by dix Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

if i would cut the shaft for the shifter out of the van even in pieces is there any problems opposed to removing the steering coloumn out of the truckto remove the shaft. i am changing over to a automatic
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

removing shifter shaft from the column Empty Re: removing shifter shaft from the column

Post by 61econoline Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 am

I cut mine out with no problems.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

removing shifter shaft from the column Empty Re: removing shifter shaft from the column

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't know how Dodges are but I would say the steering column would need to slide up about an inch to let the shaft come away from it once you took the steering wheel off. But what about the lever assembly at the bottom,,,,can you undo it and take it off which would let the shift lever shaft slide down and out of the steering column,,,,,
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:59 pm

i cut mine out and had no problem, which sucked i wanted to try to keep everything in one piece
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Someday someone might want to give you $100 for that part,,,,,,especially if they want to return it to the original condition,,,,,here is a 1st Gen Chevy set up,,,,,there is a cap on the side of the steering column,,,unscrew it and slide it off the shift lever shaft,,,,then undo a clamp on the lever assembly at the floor and out it comes or undo the 2 bolts on the lower lever assembly, disconnect the shift rods from it and it falls right out.......

removing shifter shaft from the column Repair24

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:48 pm