VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion?

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? Empty how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:27 pm

if one were to put a C4 in an an E van how would you set up the shift linkage to make it look and function like factory?
    thanksn
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? Empty Re: how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion?

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 am

By getting the parts from a factory van or upgrading to a better setup like the one Vic makes out in Californnia. The cable setup is smooth and no squeaky rods to mess with.

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? Empty Re: how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:04 am

thanks
    i figured the factory set up was to hard to find
    but would like to see what "Vic's" set up looks like

where can i find his info please

will do a search here

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Best way to contact "Econo Vic" is on oldeconolines@yahoogroups.com ...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:34 pm

He calls himself Old Skool here,,,,you might try and PM him ,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:58 pm

tanks
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:17 am

Sorry,, this will be the third attempt at posting a reply????? Pictures sure are much harder to post than using a simple attatchment,, dratzzzzzz. Besides specializing in the columns custom or rebuild, I make the cable setup also. However, I use aircraft hyme joint ends, which forced me to use also a larger diameter cable,, end result both things making it that much better. The kit includes a special adapter for the shifter end of the column, a frame bracket (two ones depending on your yr truck), the bearing ends, cable (1/4" diameter) mounting bracket for the tranny, and a replacement shifer and matching kick down lever. Its adjustable and reverses the position to the top of the truck and down to the tranny, to make it much cleaner and not have to fight going around the bellhousing.
    Vic,,,,will try to reply to this and post pics,, what a drag,,,,,if anyone wants detailed pics,, please email off site,, MUCH EASIER AND BETTER,,,,
    vlafountaine@socal.rr.com
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? Empty shift cable conversion

Post by Old Skool Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:06 am

Gonna give it a break???????????? four replies and dont see it posting,,,, will try later. Much easier to answer and post pics on private email,,, this hosting thing is wearing me out,,,,,
    vic
    vlafountaine@socal.rr.com
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Vics Pics,,,,

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? 100_1013

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? 100_1014

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? 100_1015

Post by Guest Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:32 pm

That looks great, better than the factory.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:02 pm

So Vic,,,,,,Splane some stuff to me,,,,,Do you keep the shifter shaft intact and add an indicator and change the lower lever to activate the cable assembly or is there some other modifications to the steering column when going to an automatic from a 3 or 4 speed? And what about a lockout plate for the PRNDL?????
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Gonna be hard for a short post,, LOL... I make and rebuild all our stick shift columns as well as make any of our yr automatic columns. I also, make the replacement plastic shift indicator plates.
    All of our columns use the BASIC same parts, meaning the upper bowl and the welded seam tube. The differences are in the mounting brackets, and the 67 E flasher turn assmebly. The stick shift shift tube is entirely different than the automatic, and the 64 automatic shift tube is different than the 65-->67's. The lower automatic shift arm is a REAL pain to make and get correct for both angle and the adjustment hole in it. So I make those also, and also a setup fixture to weld them in the correct positon. There are some differences in the shift arms as well, but basically, I use the GENII shift arms, as they have a better detent setup on them. Will try to send some pics,, after this post,,,
    dratzzzzzz
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:33 pm

Sorry,, forgot an important part,,, I have a setup fixture also, to weld the shift plates onto the bottom of the bowl, making an automatic out of a stick shift,, just like the factory.
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:41 pm

That sure is complicated,,,,Some Chevy Guys just use the 2nd and 3rd lever and rod,,,,,it works pretty good as long as you don't forget and try to shift into 2nd when taking off and slam the trans into Park or Reverse,,,,,or pull up into 1st on the lever and get them out of sequence and lock them up,,,,,,,or hit a bump in drive at 70 and it falls into low,,,,,,and it starts in ANY gear,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,,
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:09 am

Some of ours do it that way also,, Personally, I like it work like it is supposed to and look good at the same time. I simply figured out how the stock steering column was made and make them myself. At the same time, getting rid of the sloppy shifter setup on both the stick and the automatic replacing the stock plastic bushing with a bronze bushing setup. Right now, finishing up three more shifters for people who also,like them to shift correctly?? Hurst has got nothing on my stick shift columns,,, LOL...
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:53 am

In ChevyLand, the Automatic set up is in a small package, it bolts onto the steering box just like a 3 speed set up......

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? Pgleve10

how do ou set up the shifter on an automatic conversion? Pgleve11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:29 am