VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required?

real550A
    real550A

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2018-07-07

Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required? Empty Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required?

Post by real550A Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:16 am

Looking to purchase a '65-67 Epup, and desire a standard 3 on the tree. Being that they come up for sale so rarely, is changing an auto equipped model over within reason?
    If I were to purchase a junk van or pk, of the same year, with a stick, would it not be fairly simple?
    Is there a market for the C4 and all related parts, to offset the cost of the changeover?
    Any and all advice is welcome, I appreciate help from the experts here.    Mike
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required? Empty Re: Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required?

Post by AZ SuperVan Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:03 am

Which engine do you have?
    real550A
    real550A

Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required? Empty Re: Automatic to Standard trans. conversion...parts required?

Post by real550A Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 am

Looking mostly at the ones with 240's in them.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 am

I may be able to help. I have the three speed transmission that fits the 240
    real550A
    real550A

Post by real550A Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:35 pm

I know I'd need a pedal cluster and linkage, are the steering columns different on an auto and a stick?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Mike. This is Duane. It's easy to swap from automatic to a three speed. The column is an easy swap. No need to swap the steering box. Column just slides right off. The pedal is a simple add. The linkage will all need to swap over. Clutch pivot bar, Bell housing, trans, clutch, flywheel, starter. trans mount, driveshaft. shifter and shift linkage. It's all easy stuff to do. I have everything you need here if you decide to do it. Logistics is the biggest issue. Bit of distance between us.
    real550A
    real550A

Post by real550A Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank you, Duane! I'll see what I end up with, after my search. Trying for a 240/3 spd. and 9 inch for the drivetrain, so 65-67 5 window is the goal. I'm anxious to get started, but not in a hurry, I'll wait for the right truck.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I have a friend here with a 67 van that he is getting ready to swap over to an auto so it has all the parts in one place for a swap. Just let me know. I have plenty of extra stuff as well. Even have another 67 out back that still has it's drivetrain. Just wait it out. The right truck will come along. Usually right after you bought something else. LOL.

Duane in Tennessee.
    real550A
    real550A

Post by real550A Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks, Duane...I'll keep this in mind. I'll be in Bowling Green, Ky. in August, and may head to the Emerald Coast Cruze-In, in Panama City, this Fall. Never know!
    hammerinhank
    hammerinhank

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2018-12-11

Post by hammerinhank Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am

I'm in the process of converting a 63 pick up to an automatic so I'll have a lot of extra parts. I also have a complete 4 speed trans, column and linkage.
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:33 am

Old thread. Wonder if he ever did the swap? I have a '65 240 pickup that I wish was automatic... santa

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 am