VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

air conditioning

delvans

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-06-19

air conditioning Empty air conditioning

Post by delvans Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Anyone install air in a 1966 chevy van? If so any suggestions/vendors.
    Thanks
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

air conditioning Empty Re: air conditioning

Post by gp70 Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Can't be sure this is of any help, but here's a few pics on what an AC install looks like on an A100. Wish I had more info. I think there is a company called Vintage Air. You might look for info from them.

air conditioning A100_ac_001

air conditioning A100_ac_002
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:23 pm

gp who's "A" is that ????
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:39 pm

My notes from the Chrysler Classic at Norwalk Raceway Park in 2006 where I had seen it says, if I can read my own scribble, it belongs to a Carry Blackledge.
    It's a 66 A100 with a 380hp, 340. 727 tranny and my notes do say Vintage Air. House of Color Candy Tangerine. Tubbed and has wheelie bars.

air conditioning Cc2006_norwalk_865_800

air conditioning Cc2006_norwalk_869_800

air conditioning Cc2006_norwalk_870_800

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 am

If you haven't checked already, Vintage Air does not carry one specifically for the early vans but they have a generic kit that is suppose to work.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 am

Yeah...they have universal kits that have the HVAC in a nice compact unit that mounts under the dash. Expensive, but nice.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:19 pm

Hey guys, sorry to drag out an old thread as my first post, but these photos are giving me hope of building out a delivery van that can do year-round duty carrying computer equipment in central Florida.

Has anyone on here actually done an AC install like that on an early? I've been leaning toward A100s, but am not committed to one particular van yet, and whatever would be easiest to set up would be up for consideration. Any experiences you guys have had would be very helpful!

Anyhow, thanks GP70 for posting these, they give me a lot of hope for my "fantastic old delivery van" idea.

-Rob
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:41 pm

The 1st problem is where do you mount the compressor???? Will it fit in the Doghouse,,,,,,can you run a pulley and belt to it? Then there is the Condenser,,,,,it needs to have air blowing through it,,,,,and it takes the hot air out of the cab and releases it normally in front of the radiator,,,,,as for the evaporator unit,,,,,you could just throw it on the floor or in back,,,,,just as long as it takes the heat out of the truck. So,,,,,it can be done, but it will take some work. I seen some old time air conditions sitting on the roof of some vehicles,,,,,,I guess they still need that compressor mounted on the engine for it to work.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks Donivan, I understand the space is pretty limited, and I can't go putting a condenser in front of the radiator on these vans so it would have to be an under-mount like the photo above. I'm just trying to figure out how much fabrication might be involved in making a bracket that would carry the compressor, etc. I'm wondering what the guy's van in the photo has, and if a standard Mopar bracket from another application fit in the doghouse, either with a /6 or a V8.

Really, I'm familiar with the mechanicals of an air conditioner, I'm just trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to fit those pieces into the puzzle.

-R
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm kind of thinking that mounting a pulley on the driveshaft would drive that compressor,,,,,,,and a remote condenser with a fan on it...As the years go by,,,,,,A/C sounds better and better,,,,,,,,,,but who knows ,,,,,,,someone might know or come up with something,,,,,,,
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:36 pm

Some of the aftermarket a/c units..... the under dash units have the evaporator in the main unit so it's right there were the fans and the vents for the cold air are .....

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:41 pm

I think the Real problem would be finding a compresser mount and the pullys to support it ...... and if you Found all of that stuff... the mount would probably be for a R-4 OR A.. A-6 COMPRESSER THAT WOULD ROB WHATS LEFT OF YOUR 6 CLY'S HORSE POWER ........ YOU WOULD WANT A SANDEN PUMP FOR SURE .......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am