VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING

gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING Empty AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING

Post by gary h Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Who has installed A/C on their "A" ? I want to do my '68 p/u ,318  with A/T and Re-cored Radiator. Any Thoughts ? cheers
    nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2018-05-14

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING Empty Re: AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING

Post by nyc108hopeful Sat May 19, 2018 3:46 pm

saw this on a very expensive restored a100 van

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING KdDFUur_EgBEprs0_DDvSYQj8QLJI9eJDMKqIAQs6rRSCx-ltElPPnZdr7w-iu5T2MwwKrLRWf9Z--QE5KcpDvQfjUw5Ie2FWD0SbfE9YUKyI7jb4v0DFvIiWsfOOYSzT1dB9cUhohW89MSikjs0DFngZRs3iUu9VblRthuGjYcckFX3tdtFyHdUkw1RZgkmnb38Ves4HKr3VoONp_ED_dpRuD2tFRGpcY1EHNnd2Ax6QHeodoGTgmygiO_Oru54dBjYT-tc4MjDeKU49OkX9EBk3k0QoOaCTU2x0pIUrI9xEUS3XDZMv7VvHy9z07JsQ_996FYR3nbLYLIueVuYQ-f8Lm-A-vPfjVS7x2ZK7T7ShOja59lYuEiANpc8ckmuhfzJXTtZ_BE2283IM16GgkZfDJB2T9tjpWbZ5kw7pocwcN8iKmYFo65Z9uAE0hv5_iK3qgg2HJ-emWkewptpfmk-DZzAHBcdy4w8EmlwPBhJvoyrXyE4-mKIEYWrB7QNn_4RAzjvWg6tvSdjeNndmSPESTLR_nZ2ILms17cwzigI7AhxRMOr3JxSSotjBqi9kSiuXc5HLleL9HzMa5sSIiZqLqdvd18eBdf4bwOT=w640-h480-no

looks like he moved the radiator and condenser forward

I bet you could run a condenser behind the grill and have electric fans pull air while most of the air skips by and goes to the stock radiator

people mention the old air kits but the brackets and fitment will likely be up to you
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 738
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Tue May 22, 2018 3:55 am

I have done it ....used a horizontal mounted condenser unit from a Toyota Hiace Van - Vintage Air system and Bouchillon performance Eng pulley set.....works great

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING Little11

PM me your email address if you want more pictures.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 am

BTW...getting a rewire shortly. Going to tidy up things somewhat. Shocked
    nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

Post by nyc108hopeful Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 am

kiwimopar wrote:I have done it ....used a horizontal mounted condenser unit from a Toyota Hiace Van - Vintage Air system and Bouchillon performance Eng pulley set.....works great

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING Little11

PM me your email address if you want more pictures.

saw this in your gallery.....very cool setup

AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING DSC05154
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks...I will dig out more pics tonight.
    nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

Post by nyc108hopeful Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am

kiwimopar wrote:Thanks...I will dig out more pics tonight.

You could be a hero for all of time if you went to the trouble of posting part numbers for the brackets, condenser, compressor, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing where you ran into the most trouble.

Looks like there is even room for a power steering pump so you could hydroboost the brakes.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 pm

I installed the second largest vintage air universal heat and air system (gen II something or other) Installed the largest vertical street rod condenser. Put the drier on the interior near the right head light area. I also mounted the compressor under the alternator . made my own mounting brackets (PITA). That way if I had to work on the top of the engine. It would be easier. I made all the bracket when the engine was on the stand.
    One of the biggest problems was routing the oil dipstick tube. I also used an ebay aluminum universal radiator/ seven blade clutch fan/and shroud. Did not want any cooling issues.
    I would post pictures. But right now I can't find time to all the things that I should be doing.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Sorry it has been a while since I posted here on this thread.  I am undertaking a rebuild of my A100 over the next few weeks....and will definitely post some pictures up here - please be patient, and I will supply a list of the part numbers also for reference to others intending the installation.

Sneak peek......
    AFTERMARKET AIR CONDITIONING 610

affraid
    nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

Post by nyc108hopeful Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am

rustytoolss wrote:I installed the second largest vintage air universal heat and air system (gen II something or other) Installed the largest vertical street rod condenser. Put the drier on the interior near the right head light area. I also mounted the compressor under the alternator . made my own mounting brackets (PITA). That way if I had to work on the top of the engine. It would be easier. I made all the bracket when the engine was on the stand.
    One of the biggest problems was routing the oil dipstick tube. I also used an ebay aluminum universal radiator/ seven blade clutch fan/and shroud. Did not want any cooling issues.
    I would post pictures. But right now I can't find time to all the things that I should be doing.

Would love to see what you did as a lower mounted compressor sounds great. Which side did you used? I may add a power steering pump to run a hydroboost on top of disk brakes.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 am

I installed the compressor under the ALT on the passenger side of engine. The bracketing wraps around the fuel pump (I made sure that the fuel pump could be removed easily). I wish that I had taken pictures of the AC compressor and brackets when the engine was on the engine stand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 am