VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island

nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2018-05-14

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island Empty The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island

Post by nyc108hopeful Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:42 am

On paper and according to my bank account I own this A110 (a108).  Pickup is just south of Orlando on 5/13 and then a few days in the Keys with saintly wife then 2000+ miles home solo.  Odometer is at 98900+ so I get to see all zeros!  

A lot can go wrong and mess up the schedule but if anyone wants to do any meet ups or create a caravan here is where I think I will be traveling till any number of parts gives up the ghost:

5/19 Key West - and try to make it back to Winter Springs FL (friend's place near Orlando) but likely come up short

5/20 Orlando - Savannah, GA - Walterboro SC or Florence SC

5/21 ??? SC - Washington DC

5/22  Wash DC - Allentown PA (friend's place)

5/23 Allentown, PA - Stroudsburg, PA - NYC - East Northport - NY and if I can make it Sag Harbor NY

5/24 Sag Harbor NY to Narragansett RI

I will likely post updates in the a100 FB group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/146505182055723

Pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/2J7x46XrkRVjHpEJ7

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island 17623210

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island Image_10

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island 17613510

Also for anyone concerned as there was some on the FB group

1) Most of the legs are 3 - 7 hours

2) I have a UPS mailbox setup in FL and will be purchasing almost all the common stranded/failure parts preemptively...best case I return a lot of parts with restocking fees

3) the interior has been modernize for comfort

4) the van has been thoroughly checked out by a mechanic before purchase and will spend another week with the mechanic preparing it for the trip

5) my background in doing distances on a cycle, motorcycle, and 68 Mustang has given me experience in how to prepare for heat, noise, the drying effects of wind (proper clothes, earplugs, cooling neck wraps, lots of hydration, sun glasses, sun screen)

6) I intend to get up with the sun and stop when it goes down and take lots of breaks....7hr broken up into 90min chunks is a lot easier on the body

7) I will have a full compliment of tools, ramps, and a jack and I should probably invest in a spare 14in tire

8 ) I have AAA premier which gets me a 200mile tow and several 100mile and then I added an extra package with my insanely overinsured auto coverage

9) Most of the trip is i95 so not very remote or lacking services should I need them

Vanner63 and rekbender like this post

nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island Empty Re: The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island

Post by nyc108hopeful Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am

15/16 brake master cyclinder enroute to mechanic with the instructions to be prepared to undo it all if the travel is too long or make the braking feel underpowered
    nyc108hopeful
    nyc108hopeful

The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island Empty Re: The Great Journey North: FL Keys to Rhode Island

Post by nyc108hopeful Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:54 pm

Trip went great....2100+miles and no major issues.  I posted on the FB group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146505182055723

and the van's insta

https://www.instagram.com/thebeachbusri/

Didnt seem to be much interest here but I will add pics in this album

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2J7x46XrkRVjHpEJ7

savage and rekbender like this post

Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:22 pm

Hey nyc108hopeful,

Glad to hear you made it in. Sorry I couldn't meet up in Emporia. Prior to buying the Econoline's I owned Dodges and you will get good service out of that one.

nyc108hopeful likes this post

Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:30 pm

After looking at the photos I think you got a mighty fine van. Wow! Looking real good.

nyc108hopeful likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:30 am