VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Need recommendations on a van fit for a journey

kougan
    kougan

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2012-05-02

Need recommendations on a van fit for a journey Empty Need recommendations on a van fit for a journey

Post by kougan Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi, I'm new on here. I've been looking at vintage vans for quite a while and came up on this forum. I'm hoping I can get a few suggestions on picking out a van to buy.

I'm planning to live out of a van for about six months, while taking my time travelling from East Coast to the West Coast. I'll be hauling just a few possessions and a motorcycle in the back, until I drop it all off halfway and replace it with a nice, cushy sleeping bag.
    In terms of "cool factor" and size, my ideal van would be a mid-60s A100. Unfortunately, "cool factor" won't likely get me across the country.

Any suggestions in general on an old van with "decent" gas mileage, dependability, and easy maintenance for a trip like this? I'd like to go with a 60s or 70s model, but practicality may say otherwise.

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Need recommendations on a van fit for a journey Empty Re: Need recommendations on a van fit for a journey

Post by slowflapper Mon May 07, 2012 10:24 am

If you are going to be living out of it you need to be stealthy so as not to attract the attention of "The Man" or others that may do you harm. I'm not anti-cop but I follow the rule of "never invite the man into your life" if at all possible. You dont want to stick out or draw attention to the fact that you arent a local if at all possible.

Pretty much any brand of cargo/box van will do but keep in mind you will need AC and most full size vans aren't going to get decent mpg regardless of which motor is in them.

You might even go with a conversion van if the rear bed/bench seat can be turned sideways out of the way until you drop the bike off.

Do some google searching for "van dweller" "van dwelling" etc. as there are some good web sites out there with this in mind.

Van Dwellers for example.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:44 pm