VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Van shipping recommendations please

dogsbody
    dogsbody

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2016-12-13

Van shipping recommendations please Empty Van shipping recommendations please

Post by dogsbody Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:40 pm

I may need to ship an A108 from Albuquerque to Houston shortly.
    I've emailed a few carriers and it's a bloody minefield! Quotes ranging from $350 to $1100!

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap but known and trusted carrier please?
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Van shipping recommendations please Empty Re: Van shipping recommendations please

Post by VANagain Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 am

Back in 2008 I had my current van shipped from Portland to San Diego. (I know--with all the early vans in Southern California, why did I have to go all the way to Oregon...?!) I got prices from these places. All prices are from 2008 except the $650 I just got from their web site.

Direct Express Auto Transport   $650, more if a rush, more if it's not running, doesn't steer or have brakes. For not running, it was $875 back then. Price of gas at the time factors into all quotes.
    1-800-600-3750
    Their web site has an online calculator so you can get a price without having to call them:
    https://www.autotransportdirect.com/

Express Auto Transport $655
    1-800-405-0914  (Better Business Bureau)

Interstate Auto Mover $825

All American Auto Transport $750 + $150 = $900  (two different trucks?)
    1-888-402-7447

Official Auto Transport  $550
    "Door to door, same truck"

I went with Magic Carpet Auto Transport  $689 (w/insurance)
    1-306-834-2900
    I don't recall exactly how I made my decision. I think a lot had to do with how together they sounded while getting my quote.

All of these were on an open trailer. It costs a lot more if you want it in an enclosed trailer.
    dogsbody
    dogsbody

Van shipping recommendations please Empty Re: Van shipping recommendations please

Post by dogsbody Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 am

Great info, thanks
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:59 am

Interstate carriers (any trucking/shipping company) here in the US range from quality professional to real scum of the earth. The laws for consumer protection in this field leave you pretty uncovered, so it is important to do your research BEFORE you commit. Since you probably won't be at either end of the trip (location UK), try to get the seller in NM and the Co. in TX to work on your behalf to ensure the shipper will be held to schedule and document (pictures, video) the van at pickup and drop-off in case of damage.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-15/business/fi-219_1_car-shippers
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-to-ship-a-car-you-bought-online.html
    http://www.moving.com/auto-transport/auto-transport-insurance.asp
    dogsbody
    dogsbody

Post by dogsbody Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Hey thanks for the warnings, it's pretty scary! I just didn't see any way to tell between the good and bad companies, they all have the same 'every other guy is a con, were the real deal' crap all over their websites.
    I've had a good quote from a UK company called Kingstown shippers. They arrange the whole deal from pickup at the sellers address to me collecting it at Southampton. Good price too!
    polosteve
    polosteve

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-10-28

Post by polosteve Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:02 pm

I highly recommend Kingstown, they got my project van from the sellers house in Austin Texas to Southampton docks and sort all the correct tax documents, great price - They do everything, it was the easiest transaction ever.

I have a tow guy in the uk I would recommend to get it from the docks to Wales - If you need it,

Steve,
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by rustytoolss Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:31 pm

About 3-4 years ago I had my A100 shipped from Alpine , CA  to New franklin, Ohio. About 2400 miles. I used a shipping broker called Magic Carpet Auto Transport. It cost me $1040.00, and took about 5 or 6 days. Got it delivered within 1/4 mile from my house. They could not drive down part of my street, due to low trees.  Great service, was very happy with them Smile Very Happy
    Found them on the web. The guy I talked with was Jeff Vigue 360-853-2829 EXT 7052
    If I ever need a transport company again. I will be calling him, for sure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:48 am