VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Wheel Cylinders

Wheel Cylinders Empty Wheel Cylinders

Post by Guest Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:23 pm

I am in the process of redoing all four drum brakes on my van. The only thing I need is the front wheel cylinders. I purchased the rear ones from Advanced Auto Parts for 10 bucks a piece. I looked into getting the front ones and they are 30 some bucks a piece. Ok, the front brakes do most of the work, they probably cost more. Well I was looking up some part numbers for another member who has a 66, when I noticed That the fronts were only 15 bucks, but the backs were 45. What the hell? There seems to be no consistancy in the prices. That dosent really matter to me though. What I want to know is can I use the cheaper wheel cylinders from a 66 on my 64? And can someone use the cheaper rear cylinders on their 66? Here are some links to the cylinders...

64 cylinders
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/partlist_Brake-Wheel-Cylinder_232_R%7CGRPBRHYAMS___

Wheel Cylinders Empty Re: Wheel Cylinders

Post by Guest Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:24 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:23 pm

They changed wheel cylinder sizes in the middle of 1965,,,,,and there are different wheel cylinders for 12 bolt rear ends as well as different bore and hole mountings. But pull yours off, if it is a 1 1/8" bore with the holes across from each other, it is a normal 1966 wheel cylinder like this Napa one,,,,, what size bore did you use on the rears?

Wheel Cylinders 1966_f10

Post by Guest Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:14 pm

Well the links worked at first but now they wont? For the rears I used the 7/8" bore. That was the only option for the rears for a 64. But the fronts for a 64 come in 1 1/8" and1 1/16" and its the same for a 66. Can I take out my cylinders, measure the bore, and use front cylinders from a 66 with the same bore?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:00 pm

You got the right ones on the rear, 7/8" I doubt that you will feel any difference if you put the 1966 1 1/8" bore wheel cylinders which are 1/16" larger on the front,,,,,,And someone could of already changed them. I have found all kinds of different size wheel cylinders on these vans. And if you have a choice,,,,,,go with the 1966 brake parts whenever you can since Chevy decided to change the system on the late 1965 models.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:07 am

I still dont understand why front cylinders would be cheaper for a 66 than a 64. But its good to know I can use the 66 ones on my van for half as much as the ones for a 64 cost. As always, thanks for your help Don.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:41 am

Popularity,,,,,,things that were only used for 1 or 2 years on only 1 or 2 vehicles are not worth rebuilding and stocking,,,,,,,now you get some van part that also fits an El Camino or Camaro or a lot of different years they will make a lot of replacements and they are cheaper. You always have the option of rebuilding your old ones if the bore is clean or can be cleaned up with a little honing. You should be able to find the rebuild kits for them. But I would have to say, converting that 1 line master cylinder to a 2 line one that the 2nd Gen, 1967-70 Chevy Vans use AND replacing all the old metal and rubber hoses should be on the TOP of the list for anyone owning a 1st Gen, 1964-66 Chevy or GMC van.
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 am

donivan65 wrote:Popularity,,,,,,things that were only used for 1 or 2 years on only 1 or 2 vehicles are not worth rebuilding and stocking,,,,,,,now you get some van part that also fits an El Camino or Camaro or a lot of different years they will make a lot of replacements and they are cheaper. You always have the option of rebuilding your old ones if the bore is clean or can be cleaned up with a little honing. You should be able to find the rebuild kits for them. But I would have to say, converting that 1 line master cylinder to a 2 line one that the 2nd Gen, 1967-70 Chevy Vans use AND replacing all the old metal and rubber hoses should be on the TOP of the list for anyone owning a 1st Gen, 1964-66 Chevy or GMC van.
    I second that advice!! don't mess around with old brakes, do what you gotta do to replace'em, collect cans, sell your comics on ebay or just go deliver pizzas to get the extra bucks to correctly replace the 40 year old brake system if your gonna use the van for more than just a storage van!! I think it was LAW that ALL vehicles sold in the US from 1967 on MUST have a duall Master, I know VW's fords and chevys made that change for 67, good thing too!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 am

Now that sounds better than cruising down the road at 60 MPH, and looking up,,,and seeing traffic stopped in front of you,,,,and the steering wheel crushing your chest,,,,and the windshield taking your head off,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:53 am