VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse..

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Empty Wiring Harness into the Doghouse..

Post by Scott Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:08 pm

I’m guessing that the glove I pulled from this hole wasn’t stock from GM. What’s suppose to be here blocking the fumes, and what is everyone else using? I considered moving the harness underneath, but haven’t committed to it yet.

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Dsc04816
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Empty Re: Wiring Harness into the Doghouse..

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:48 pm

There should be a rubber gromet around those wires.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:27 am

A grommet??? I thought my glove was original too??? j/k... Mine has a rubber grommet but I cant get it to fit in that damn hole Mad
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Scott here what the stock set-up looks like
    Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. 100_1121

do you have the connecter plug between the two harnesses or is it direct wired??? Can't tell from the pic's
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon May 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Mine is direct wired, but from looking at the wire diagram its supposed to have a connector there.. Right?

I'm sorting out he best way to move on this, maybe I can fabricate a plug from a block of rubber, then drill a hole through it for each wire. Then put the connector on one side or the other.

Just thinking out loud here.

Unless one of you has a better idea..

Probably not much chance of me finding the factory replacement.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon May 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Yes there is a plug. Contact savage maybe he saved the one from that 68???

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2009 8:02 pm

i've got the plug and full harness/regulator. all you need is the plug?
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon May 11, 2009 8:08 pm

I was getting ready to make a new harness and realized there is suppose to be a plug. Is the one you have from a straight 6? Don't know if it matters.

If your not going to use the harness, what are you asking for it?

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2009 7:55 pm

from what i gathered in extracting this assembly from my parts van, there are three parts to the plug. a large piece of rubber with several connections that runs from the doghouse forward, and then two clips that connect to the plug and run into the regulator and some odd wires that run somewhere else. right?
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue May 12, 2009 8:03 pm

I havent seen one before, but he pics you sent look like what I need. Just the wire harness, not so much the regulator, unless your just going to toss it. I still might make a new harness, but it would be nice to have the right plugs.

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Downsi10

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. 05120910
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 9:35 am

You don't want to be using those 40 year old terminals in that connector, and the plastic surely is getting brittle,,,,,,and you might as well use a heavier gauge wire and new terminals,,,,,I think using any new connector off a newer car is a better way to go,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed May 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Wow, so much wisdom Donivan..

Hey copenhagenfiend, so to have put you out on this, but I think I will take Donivan's advice here and create something new. The pictures help though, nice to get the visual.

Sorry for the trouble..

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2009 1:40 pm

not a problem at all. figured i'd at least lend a picture to your imagination
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Keep those pictures coming,,,,,it makes it easier to understand what everyone is talking about,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:53 am

I've been digging through my wire harness cleaning up the splices and covering places where the shielding has rubbed off. My hope was to piece this together enough to get it running, and then go back with the upgrades later. I considered just buying a premade harness, but not really interested in dropping that much money.

I’m going to break out the harness upgrade into sections, and try to tackle them one at a time. The first section will be the engine since the harness is already completely disconnected from the engine, and hanging out the drivers door. Some time in the last forty years the junction plug was taken out where the harness feeds into the doghouse. I came across these trailer plugs the other day and am thinking about using them as a replacement. It might take two, but I may be a good solution.

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Picture17

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Picture18

What do y'all think?

Even with a 10 gauge wire, eventual 100amp Alternator, it should handle the load right?

They make plastic ones too, but I'm thinking metal because the harness comes in near the exaust manifold.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:49 am

Thats a great idea Scott! how many wires are in there? Maybe a round 7 and a round 6 so that you cant cross the connections.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Scott wrote:I've been digging through my wire harness cleaning up the splices and covering places where the shielding has rubbed off. My hope was to piece this together enough to get it running, and then go back with the upgrades later. I considered just buying a premade harness, but not really interested in dropping that much money.

I’m going to break out the harness upgrade into sections, and try to tackle them one at a time. The first section will be the engine since the harness is already completely disconnected from the engine, and hanging out the drivers door. Some time in the last forty years the junction plug was taken out where the harness feeds into the doghouse. I came across these trailer plugs the other day and am thinking about using them as a replacement. It might take two, but I may be a good solution.

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Picture17

Wiring Harness into the Doghouse.. Picture18

What do y'all think?

Even with a 10 gauge wire, eventual 100amp Alternator, it should handle the load right?

They make plastic ones too, but I'm thinking metal because the harness comes in near the exaust manifold.

I was looking to buy this today, but just learned that it's rated to 40 amps. It looks more sturdy then the original plug, but I'm upgrading to a 100 amp Alternator.

I know that no one wire will draw 100 amps, but I'm also learning as I go and don't want to see the van go up in
    flames.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:50 pm

For 1 thing, the alternator is connected right to the battery, only the feed wire to the ignition switch and fuse box will be going through the connector,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 pm

I was hoping someone that knows electrical would speak-up..

So you think this would be fine?

I might even put in a relay by the starter, like you did. I just havent gotten that far yet.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 pm

The Alternator output should go directly to the positive battery cable on the starter solenoid through a fusible link. Why don't you just run the wiring harness under the floor and up to the dash like around the speedometer cable,,,,,,you don't need to be sitting on top off that electromotive force field anyways,,,,,,
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I agree with Donivan... If your making a harness...run it underneath the floor! If I had to rewire mine I wouldn't hesitate to get those wire out from under the seat.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Oh yeah, theres always that.. Very Happy

Saves me from buying the plugs, and I won't have to cover it with carpet some day.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 am

I need to quit trying to put it back together like it was and focus on how it should be.

Thanks for sharing the obvious; I need a little kick like that now and then.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 pm