VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
67Dodger
docmcg
6 posters

Front brake drum

docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Front brake drum Empty Front brake drum

Post by docmcg Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 pm

I want to get the front brake drum off my A100 pickup. I tried to press the studs out, as I want to change them to RH thread. I have a 20 ton press and they don't even budge. Of course the drum won't come off either. I used PB Blaster along with the press and no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2013-02-10

Front brake drum Empty Re: Front brake drum

Post by 67Dodger Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 am

Do you mean to say that even after you take the wheel bearing off, the drum will not come off? Have you adjusted the brakes away from the drum as far as possible? Does the drum turn, but not slide off of the spindle?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 am

Well.....IF,,,, you got the hub off the spindle,,,,,,AND,,,you want to get the drum off the hub,,,,,,the studs are staked  to the drum,,,,,pushing a stud out of a DRUM, will probably break the hub or at least strip out the serrations in it,,,,,,you need to make the studs skinnier to release the drum and let them slide out the hub,,,,,and the drum is probably rusted solidly to the hub ,,,,,,I like to soak the the hub with penetrating oil,,,,put some  pressure down on the hub,,,,tap on the studs and hope that the hub and studs drop down,,,,,,a hole saw is the real tool to remove the flange and a torch to heat things up helps......

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t16376-help-looking-for-a-front-hub-and-drum-right-side
    docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by docmcg Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:50 pm

I had the hub and drum off together. Found out that a bigger hammer always gets it done. As a side note, I want to change the LH studs for RH. Is there a particular part # I need to get. I went to Napa and another parts house here in town and could get close but they were alittle too much or not enough. Also, on the backing plate there's a soft washer, almost like a seal of some kind that the hub rear seal fits into. I've never seen that before. I kind of wonder if it's a critical thing. What do you think?
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Post by dodge A-108 Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:10 am

donivan65 wrote:Well.....IF,,,, you got the hub off the spindle,,,,,,AND,,,you want to get the drum off the hub,,,,,,the studs are staked  to the drum,,,,,pushing a stud out of a DRUM, will probably break the hub or at least strip out the serrations in it,,,,,,you need to make the studs skinnier to release the drum and let them slide out the hub,,,,,and the drum is probably rusted solidly to the hub ,,,,,,I like to soak the the hub with penetrating oil,,,,put some  pressure down on the hub,,,,tap on the studs and hope that the hub and studs drop down,,,,,,a hole saw is the real tool to remove the flange and a torch to heat things up helps......

I used a BFH .I just knocked the studs out of the hub and drum (after removing it from the van , of course) then a few more taps and the hub separated from the drum. I got right hand studs from oreillys and tack welded them to the back of the hub after installation. now I have new studs and nuts AND slip off drums

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t16376-help-looking-for-a-front-hub-and-drum-right-side
    dominicsitalian

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2014-06-04

Post by dominicsitalian Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Will the front wheel cylinders come out to replace? Seems like i can only access one of the bolts, the position of the second bolt under the the brake hose is impossible to get to.... and yes I did remove the hose...lol
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:19 am

can't say i remember any problem ? what about a off set wrench,
    or remove the entire backing plate, that way you can clean everything up,
    and paint it while you are that close,

Sponsored content