VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
67a 100 pickup
slowflapper
BajaCharlie
G-Man
born2late
9 posters

Help!!! Looking for a front hub and drum (right side)

born2late

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2010-07-02

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Empty Help!!! Looking for a front hub and drum (right side)

Post by born2late Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:12 pm

In the process of changing out the left side lug nuts for the correct thread, I damaged the drum and hub beyond repair. Anyone have a usable 10" drum and hub from the right front? East coast preferred to save shipping. Killer is, this is the last thing I need to go for the first ride!!! The 318 swap is done--ready to burn the tires!!!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Empty Re: Help!!! Looking for a front hub and drum (right side)

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Welcome to the site!!! The Mopar guys should be checking in soon
    BajaCharlie
    BajaCharlie

Number of posts : 619
    Registration date : 2010-01-07

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Empty Re: Help!!! Looking for a front hub and drum (right side)

Post by BajaCharlie Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 pm

I'll check the van in the junkyard sunday and let ya know.hopefully its still there cause I need some more parts off it too.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:50 am

I don't have one myself but wildcat mopars probably does if you cant get one locally.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:16 pm

I take it you didn't grind off the back of the studs before using the BFH on the studs?? I have one, but I bet shipping aint gonna be cheap. Napa has new drums for $64.00 if you want to go that route, and I can ship you the hub. Or the whole assembly what ever you want to do. Send me a PM with your address and I will see what shipping is through UPS, have to check on the max weight for a USPS large flat rate box.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 pm

I looked at both of my spare front axles today and both of them are 11". The hubs are the same though. You are welcome to the hub if you want it.
    born2late

Post by born2late Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Case anyone runs into the same thing this is how the damage happened. I was able to get the drum loose from the hub (bent it but was really junk anyway) and pressed the studs out real easy with the press. Parts store sold me wheel studs that looked perfect. Appears they were just a fraction to large in diameter between the end of the knurled area and the head of the stud. When I pressed them into the hub they went real smooth until the last 1/8 inch then I had to "lean on them" a bit. After getting 3 of them in, I pulled the hub out of the press to take a closer look at what I was doing and found cracks in the hub around each of the stud bosses. Seems I was splitting the casting then I was going in the last bit. Should have mic'ed the stud diameter. Live and learn!
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Mine were "staked" after they put the drums on so the only way to get mine out was to grind the head off the inside of the drum and drive the studs out from the inside out..
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm

believe it or not the easiest way is to get a metal cutting hole saw that just fits over the stud and drill the "knurled edge" from the base of the stud through to the hub but NOT into it. do all 5 and the drum falls off and you save the studs.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Well the only problem a Chevy guy has is to not let the drum fall on his toes when he takes a wheel off,,,,,,,,However you Dodge and Ford guys have a whole different story,,,,,,,,I gots some Dodge drums,,,,,,hubs STUCK in them,,,,,so the studs have been staked or swedged in 4 places around them holding the drum on,,,,,,,and surely the drum and the hub aint going to be very happy if you try and just push the studs out. So here is some things not to do,,,,,(with a press),,,,,,,I will remove the hub,,,,so removal plan A and B look like you will be heading for trouble,,,,,plan C, sliding a hole saw over a stud and cut through the staking right down to the hub is next,,,,,plan D is to grind off the head of the stud inside the drum and knock it out towards the front........

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair62

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair58

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair59

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair60

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair61
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Plan D sounds easy,,,,,so I grind away and get lost,,,,,cant see the stud anymore to punch it out,,,,,,so I think plan E will be to drill the head off and punch it out through the front side,,,,,,

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair66

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair67

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair68

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair69
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:44 pm

I'll stick with plan "D" and grind them off. My drill bits are more expensive than my grinding wheel. Just use good gloves and a face shield.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I D'd one stud out,,,,,,,and it's kind of hard to get a grinder way down there in the drum,,,,,,,and if the grinder got away from you, you could do damage to the drum or hub,,,,,,but that's the way it is,,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,that drum is REALLY THICK! a Ford or Chevy is like 1/16 " thick where the studs go through it,,,,,,them Dodges look like 1/4",,,,,same as the hub,,,,,,SO,,,,,,I am thinking Plan E,,,,,,,it just seems that those tabs swedged on the stud shoulder are not very tough,,,,,,I think plan E is to knock the studs in about a 1/16", breaking those tabs and then doing a plan A on the hub, and that hub should separate from the drum,,,,,,maybe a little dremel action on the swedge areas on the studs then press or knock the studs out the normal way. Removing the studs with the hub out of the drum sounds like a plan to me. So what size hole saw for Plan C,,,,,,maybe 3/4". Got 9 more studs to take out,,,,,,,,just looking for the best plan,,,,,,or at least choices,,,,,,,,,

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair70
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Plan E,,,,,,,,not too good,,,,,need a bigger hammer to try and knock those studs in a little,,,,,and that hub surely won't like it,,,,,,I did drill some 1/8" pilot holes in the stud heads, but,,,,,,trying to drill any larger holes until the head falls off is too rough on drill bits,,,,,,,,,so I guess I will try and PRESS the studs loose while supporting the hub to keep it from breaking to get the hub out of the drum or get a hole saw,,,,,,,so right now,,,,,,Plan D is the only way I got a stud out,,,,,,,,,,

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair73
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am

So bottom line here,did you ever get the hub assembly you need? I ve got a 66 A100 I can see what drums are on it. Additionally,Vic ,aka Old Skool talks about hubs all the time and how to remove studs. Somebody said there was even a tool for cutting the staked part off which sounds very similar to the hole saw.
    born2late

Post by born2late Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Got one today in the mail. Big thanks to 67 a100 pickup for the hookup. Going to throw the new drum on the hub tonight and bolt the new wheels on. If it ever stops raining, I will take it for the maiden voyage!!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Ok,,,,,,,Plan F, used parts of plans B, A and C,,,,,,,,I don't have a hole saw that size so I put a nut on a stud and pressed it down till it popped,,,,,breaking all the swedging off it and backing the stud about 1/8" out. The plan sure is NOT to push that swedging into the hub hole. Then I decided to put a washer under the nut so would only let the stud go down 1/16" , just enough to break off the 4 swedged tabs,,,,and that worked good,,,,the hub then came off the drum and I would say a little dremeling or filing on whats left of the swedge tabs and you can remove the studs the way they came in.

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair76

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair77

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair78
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Heres the tool I was talking about. Not cheap but what is these days? Keep in mind it comes in different sizes from other vendors.
    http://macsautoparts.com/Model-A-wheel-stud-hub-bolt-removal-tool-for-1-2quot-studs-a1107t/camid/MDA/cp/K00IG37P1000001/sid/FROOGLE/EID/FR/

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:38 pm

That's good! I think we came up with everything you need to know about Dodge hubs and studs,,,,,,I am going to link this to the General Discussion so the other vanners can read it,,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:00 am

Don, I was wondering what year of van ya got the drum/hubs off from?? The hub and drums are different than what I have on my 69. The swedging on mine was a full 180 degree, the studs had the knurl all the way to the threads and through the drum and the back side of the hub was not flat. Even getting the drum to drop back on was not all that easy (die grinder) as it seemed like it may have been pressed on the hub from the factory originally. Nothing changes on getting them apart , but its just another degree of difficulty.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:05 am

Another thing is those LEFT hand studs,,,,,,,I am pretty sure the 69 SportsMan had the original studs with the 4 swedge tabs on it,,,,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,,the other van has RIGHT hand studs in the left drum and I don't see any swedging,,,,,,,,so I would have to say if you got all right hand studs,,,,,,you got aftermarket drums and hubs or they were changed at some time,,,,,,(like after a non dodger hit those left handed lug nuts with a big impact wrench). And you having the entire stud splined instead of only the part that goes into the hub, probably means that those are not stock studs, hub or drum. But thats why we are here,,,,,,,to see what you find on your van,,,,,,And what about drum size,,,,,,these are 10 3/4" X 2 1/2",,,,,,is that the only size that come on Dodges?

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair79
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Hey,,,,,,I found the answer to the original question,,,,,this left drum had shiney right hand studs in it , so I tapped them down and the hub came out,,,,,,I pressed one out and here is the correct right hand threaded replacement stud,,,,,

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair80

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair81
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:34 pm

you can get the a series with 11' brakes as well on the front. only had one van with the big brakes. they have the bigger king pins also.
    just picked up a spare front axle so its time to start the disc brake conversion on the spare so it will be a bolt on when the time comes for the truck. and yes i will keep a record of parts and work needed to do the conversion.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:02 pm

So this is how my Dodge Hubbin ended up,,,,,,,if you need to do less than 5 studs,,,,,then grinding the head off or the hole saw looks like the best plan,,,,,,,if you are removing all 5 studs, I would just beat down on each one a LITTLE at a time until they start to move down and the hub separates from the drum,,,,,then I ground down any of the swedging left and knocked the studs the remainder of the way out.

Help!!!  Looking for a front hub and drum (right side) Repair84

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am