VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

1964 A100 rear brake drum question need to know

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

1964 A100 rear brake drum question  need to know Empty 1964 A100 rear brake drum question need to know

Post by rustytoolss Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 pm

From what I think I know (that's not much sometimes). The rear axle on a 1964 dodge a100 is the taper shaft type ? know a little about it. my question is about the rear brake drums. I thought that the flange was part of the drum, and need a puller to remove the drums. But I just did a check (napa/rockauto) and they show a normal easy on/ easy off rear brake drum for a 64 a100 ??? anyone care to let me know the real truth? are rear drums cheap/easy to get? any info please. Thanks
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

1964 A100 rear brake drum question  need to know Empty Re: 1964 A100 rear brake drum question need to know

Post by dix Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm

They should just pull off but depending on the last time they were serviced it may take some doing.. try backing the adjusters off. not sure of the pricing tho. with all the steel from china they may be cheap, for 10" try napa uts4401129 or raybestos 2942 or bendix 140182 or autozone 8878. all are 10"" numbers

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

1964 A100 rear brake drum question  need to know Empty Re: 1964 A100 rear brake drum question need to know

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Rusty, you sure have a LOT of questions!

Buy a manual and many of your vehicle questions will be answered.

Go to Rock auto (or your favorite parts supply) and look up all the typical service items you can think of and note what else is listed.

Go to the local JY and crawl around in one, if possible.

Just trying to get you to fish for yourself here...

BTW, the A-100 was one of the first with the solid axle shaft. No flanges.

Here's an original dealer service slideshow that can answer a lot more questions. This is part 1.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcewnrO5vIc
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm

RodStRace wrote:Rusty, you sure have a LOT of questions!

Go to Rock auto (or your favorite parts supply) and look up all the typical service items you can think of and note what else is listed.

Here's an original dealer service slideshow that can answer a lot more questions. This is part 1.
    Your right I do have a lot of question. And I will buy a service manual....and with the good people of this site I've learned a lot.  Even with  being an auto mechanic 20yrs 1977-1997, I never came acrossed  an Dodge A100 to get the feel of the unique thing that were different than standard cars and trucks.
     A wise man said the only stupid question, is the one that did not ask.
     And since I have not yet bought an A100, I'm just looking to get up to speed, on things that may have been good to know.
     It's one thing to walk past an A100 and want it (ahhh maybe someday). But when your really getting serious, being informed is a wonderfull thing.
     I don't mean to be a pest on the site. And you guys have a lot of answers. Maybe someday I'll be able to help the next group of newbees. That's what its all about.
     But you are right....I do ask a lot of questions.  I'll try to back it down .   Thank you all for your helpful information, and understanding.  Soon to be a A100 owner ( with information to help me from this web site.)cheers    Shawn Wimer , Clinton, Ohio
    As for finding an A100 in a junk yard in northern Ohio. It would be easier to find an honest president today.

Last edited by rustytoolss on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info)
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:18 am

rustytoolss wrote:
    RodStRace wrote:Rusty, you sure have a LOT of questions!

Your right I do have a lot of question. And I will buy a service manual....and with the good people of this site I've learned a lot.  Even with  being an auto mechanic 20yrs 1977-1997, I never came acrossed  an Dodge A100 to get the feel of the unique thing that were different than standard cars and trucks.
     A wise man said the only stupid question, is the one that did not ask.
     And since I have not yet bought an A100, I'm just looking to get up to speed, on things that may have been good to know.
     It's one thing to walk past an A100 and want it (ahhh maybe someday). But when your really getting serious, being informed is a wonderfull thing.
     I don't mean to be a pest on the site. And you guys have a lot of answers. Maybe someday I'll be able to help the next group of newbees. That's what its all about.
     But you are right....I do ask a lot of questions.  I'll try to back it down .   Thank you all for your helpful information, and understanding.  Soon to be a A100 owner ( with information to help me from this web site.)cheers    Shawn Wimer , Clinton, Ohio
    As for finding an A100 in a junk yard in northern Ohio. It would be easier to find an honest  president today.
    Thanks for the video link about the axle flange. I thought that the a100 used the old taper type axle shafts like the 64 back cars did. Thanks Rod ST RACE

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 2:28 am