BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Van Newb and rear brake question

dirtmagnit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-09-11

Van Newb and rear brake question

Post by dirtmagnit on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi! Bought a 64' in September, super love it! I had given up years ago on finding a G van for a reasonable price, but up pops a "1964 Chevy A100" on the CL... um... yep. Mine now.

It's got an unknown 6 cylinder and a three on the tree. Runs great, but has it's share of things needing to be done. Currently, brakes are a question.

No e-brake. Freed up handle (wow the rust that came out) and cable moves all the way back. Replaced the spongy master and tried to bleed out the slaves. Nope. Can't get bleeders to crack. Fine. I can do this. Take it one by one.

Right front was weepy so I replaced slave and got new shoes. Stripped and painted backing plate and cleaned all the hardware. Easy. That's one .

Rear. Opened right side up, shoes look new. Hardware is fine. Everything is clean. That is a flag. Ah. Star wheel is there, but no adjuster assembly. Cable for brake sticks into hole and does nothing. Not hooked up to anything. So, I am left with some questions.

Is there an interchange on other vehicles for these interior brake parts? Do I need to just start looking for a new rear end anyway (highway speeds of 65-70 max tells me I could use a better ratio for mileage and comfort) and plumb the brakes appropriately to whatever rear end I find....

Thanks to all who may gander.

I love this van.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11371
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Re: Van Newb and rear brake question

Post by donivan65 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Ok ,,,,lets get you on the road,,,,,,,,1st,, an A100 is a Dodge, Chevys and GMCs are G10's,,,,,,,so on the rear brakes,,,,your cable comes in through a hole,,,,,connects to a bar behind the self adjuster lever,,,,,,,and that crossbar under the wheel cylinder spreads the shoes to lock up the drum when you pull up on the parking brake handle,,,,,,and now you can start on your next 99 repairs that all vans need when you get one,,,,,

dirtmagnit

Post by dirtmagnit on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:54 pm

Yep. Just to clarify a few things.

I do know it's a Chev. 90". Not an A100. PO thought it was. Had no idea. I did. It ran great, I've put about 2-3K miles on it. Scary now that I think about it looking at the brakes.

I've looked this forum over quite a bit. You are quite prolific Mr Donivan. I've seen your pic of this in a couple of places, and it makes more sense looking at it in person. I am no stranger to doing brakes, disc or drum, but the parts inside like the arm that cable hooks up to is my question. As these shoes fit soooo many cars, are the various bits like this all interchangeable?

Not saying I'm lazy about a thing, but here in Seattle this time of year I like to do my junkyard diving in the rain not be for absolutely nothing.
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11371
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:20 pm

are you saying that all you got on all 4 wheels is springs holding the shoes down and a star wheel on the bottom? and the self adjuster levers on the front are missing and the self adjusting, spreader bar and parking brake levers on the rears are missing also,,,,,,,people would of thrown that stuff away when the adjusters quit working and the van would not stop straight anymore,,,,I would say a pickup, carryall or a Chevy car from 62-68 might have those parts,,,,,,,and I might have some,,,,,,you can start your own van story in the MEMBERS SHOWCASE section if you plan on entertaining us with a van project,,,,,,and we would like that......
panelmanrd

Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 am

all the parts inside the drum are available aftermarket from a
good auto parts store, the only thing that is not reproduced is the
spreader bar for the e brake, the springs and hold down pins are usually in
the hardware kit and the self adjuster and its lever spring and wire are in the
adjuster kit, gm used this design in all 9 inch drum brakes, I used to have
a 93 astro and the rear brakes looked identical to the rears on our vans hope this helps.
m1dadio
Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:08 pm

The whel cylinders are sometimes hard to find because they are an odd size. I used the more commun whel ylinders used on most GM cars in that era.

they fit right on, are way cheaper and work just right.

Had to go on the hunt for rear wheel cylinders. the factory G10 cylinders are 13/16 dia bore and are hard to find these days. i found two in Toronto Ontario 3 weeks away from me for $85 each

I bought two for a 68 Chevy II which are a 7/8" bore and very commun as they fit many GMs from 63 to 79. Two wheel cylinders and a spring kit in stock locally cost me $32 all in taxes and all.

Part Number: UP 37024

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Wheel-Cylinder-Rear/_/R-UBP37024_0074888406

M1D

Love the head lights
kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1434
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:56 am

I'm a bit confused about what you are actually missing from your rear brakes. If you PM me your phone number, I can come by and take a look and try and help you out. I'll send you a PM with my number too.

Joe
dirtmagnit

Post by dirtmagnit on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:07 am

So I went to the junkyard on Sunday and got what I need to finish. One side was lacking the arm that the parking brake hooked up to, and both sides needed the rod that carried the action for the parking brake to the primary shoe.

I went to the parts store last week and got all New slaves. Everything seems to fit...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm