VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
drc
BILLS66
Space Truckin
Twinpilot001
jimthefred
largnchrg
10 posters

engine caught fire today

largnchrg
    largnchrg

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2014-08-23

engine caught fire today Empty engine caught fire today

Post by largnchrg Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:52 pm

my wife and I were taking one of the dogs to the vet this morning in the van, when all hell broke out. We were stopping at the front door and someone came out yelling that we were on fire. About that time it died, I got my wife and dog out, and man that sucker was blazing. I opened the dog house and saw it was bad. I closed the doghouse and actually thought, well shit,I'm going to watch this thing burn to the ground. About that time a guy ran up with an extinguisher, I grabbed it threw the dog house open and sprayed,it went out fairly quickly. It was such a mess I closed the hood, went around to the side door and pulled battery terminal. about that time there was a small explosion. I'm thinking what the heck was that.
    Well after a wrecker ride home,I took the seats and dog house completely out. The damage is bad but not as bad as it could have been.all the wiring is burnt fuel pump shot, alternator shot, all the hoses burned up. and some minor stuff. What I found was the fuel filter, aluminum housing has a split it. mounted next to the water pump. I'm assuming it sprayed fuel on the headers and set it off. When I built that doghouse to cover the V 8 that was put in it, I used a fairly expensive insulation foil type insulation, doubled thickness.I believe that is the only thing that kept the fire contained to the engine only. I wasn't ready to change out the gauges yet. I needed to to save up and buy some stuff........Well looks like the project is starting now and has grown leaps, and bounds. Oh, the explosion....apparently it got hot enough to ignite the fuel in the heads and intake manifold. I blew one valve cover almost off and the other one looks like a balloon it's so expanded.So I will add that to my repair list. I will keep you all up on how it's going and will ask a question or two along the way. Big John 65 E series, slightly burned.
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

engine caught fire today Empty Re: engine caught fire today

Post by jimthefred Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Man! Glad no ones hurt and the Van survived! Best of luck to you!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Be thankful -it wasnt worse!! All can be repaired & better -ill add!! Just tell the wife like I do -its ok Honey -it was all on yourside anyways!! affraid cheers lol!

Glad no one was hurt!! cheers Rolling Eyes
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Fire Extinguishers are mandatory in these old girls. Glad everyone is safe......
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Really glad everyone is ok. Bill
    drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by drc Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 pm

That's not cool.

Glad you, the wife and dog are all o.k!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:47 am

Sorry to hear about your Van the main thing is no body got hurt..!!!..Fire is my biggest fear with any of my toys "ALWAYS" carry a fire extinguisher in any older vehicle..I see a lot of that here in Florida with the ethanol in our gas it eats up the rubber fuel lines from the inside out..My friend just lost his 1972 Mustang Mach 1 when the rubber line from the frame to the fuel pump split open and sprayed gas on the headers..I replace my rubber hoses every 5 years and stay away from the glass or plastic fuel filters..Lucky for that guy or you would have lost the hole van....Good Luck..moving forward and...Keep us Posted...Smile .

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Glad to here everyone is ok. After reading about this and others that have had fires, I'm glad I put hard lines from the tank to the fuel pump. Only a small piece from frame to fuel pump is rubber. And my fuel filter is in the back of the van up on the frame in an easy to replace spot. Again glad to here you guys are ok.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Glad it wasn't worse and everyone including the dog is safe! Shocked  Thank God someone seen your problem BEFORE a tragedy happened!

Even in my '97 Jeep, I carry a fire extinguisher...  lesson to all...  better to have one and NOT need it, than not to have one and need one... Wink  (something I learned in school bus driver's training)
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Glad nobody got hurt. I've had four car fires in my life. I don't go anywhere without at least one extinguisher in my vehicle. I've saved others from complete loss by having one. They are too cheap not to have at least one.

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:50 am