VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Lazarusvan
Old Skool
Vantasia
HandiVanMan
FIZGIG
GMman
vanny
Joe Van
Twinpilot001
Bruce67Econoline
14 posters

Sad day had an engine fire

Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Sad day had an engine fire Empty Sad day had an engine fire

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:40 am

We got my van back from the shop, went to take it for a test spin. A block and a half latter and the engine stalls going around a corner. I tried to restart it and the starter stuck on. Tried to turn off the ignition key still going pulled it off the road, turned off the battery. I popped  the lid and saw flames. Closed it tight and shut the door, and called 911. Five minutes later they show up and the fires already out but still billowing smoke. Doesn't look good, lot's of melted stuff. Called the shop and they're  sending a tow truck. Ugh.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Sad day had an engine fire Empty Re: Sad day had an engine fire

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:05 am

affraid Curious =what work did the shop do ?? affraid
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:49 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:affraid  Curious =what  work did the shop do ?? affraid
    Being a "Auto Repair Shop Owner" we are insured for things like this if any kind of engine repair work was done they are responsible..!!!..Sorry to hear this Keep Us Posted.!!!.

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:59 am

Good luck Bruce...Hope everything works out OK. Never like to hear stories like this. Keep us posted.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 am

New fly wheel, starter, and they said something about vacuum advance. We will see if they stand tall on this.
    GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:51 am

Bruce67Econoline wrote:New fly wheel, starter, and they said something about vacuum advance. We will see if they stand tall on this.

That says it right there, "new fly wheel and starter" . Sound's like they didn't shim the starter so when you went to start the engine the starter pinion gear jammed into the ring gear and stuck. There needs to be little play for the pinion gear to release from the ring gear.
    There are "Mechanics" and there are "Parts Changers".
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm

maybe look @ how the positive cable from battery was run also?? Hope the shop did have insurance?? affraid
    GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Good Luck Bruce. I hope you get this resolved.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Contacted my insurance company today, about the van. $500.00 deductible , shop is not likely to do anything. They said they were a hobby shop. What the heck is that suppose to mean????? I'll just let the insurance company figure out what's up. If anybody knows of a good shop in Charleston let me know. Looks like I'll be driving the 66 display for awhile.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:13 pm

GMman wrote:
    Bruce67Econoline wrote:New fly wheel, starter, and they said something about vacuum advance. We will see if they stand tall on this.

That says it right there, "new fly wheel and starter" . Sound's like they didn't shim the starter so when you went to start the engine the starter pinion gear jammed into the ring gear and stuck. There needs to be  little play for the pinion gear to release from the ring gear.
    There are "Mechanics" and there are "Parts Changers".
    I would give them the "Scare Tacit" first say you are going to get a lawyer that usually makes them think twice..!!!.. If they installed the starter and flywheel and they hung up they are 100% responsible don't let it go..You have to have some type of liability insurance to run a "Automotive Business" Plus I would go after the parts supplier also just in case for a defective starter...!!!..

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Get an attorney- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do what joe says!! there are no "Hobby auto repairs" also have the State check to see if they are filing sales tax reports ?? Licensed as a business in that local area?? These are all only a phone call away!! Call the parts house that they got the starter from also-tell them about it too - see what the want to do? bet ull not only have some fun but get that deductable back quick cheers k!!
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:55 pm

That sucks!!!!! I hope you are covered.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Definitely don't let them off of the hook as it will more than likely make your insurance premiums go up & possibly even be cancelled! I would also recommend that you buy a fire extinguisher and mount it in it & put one in your other vehicles! $20-$30 can save you a lot of money & heartbreak.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:39 am

Sorry to hear about your fire, sounds like you have a good case against the shop, hope it works out...This brings back an ugly memory I had with my 1st van back in the '70's, a '66 G-10.  (surprised I can remember the details that far back, but...)  I just finished re-building the engine, new clutch and R&R'd the trans and got it all back together and was driving around town tweaking the tuning and timing and made the mistake of running with the air cleaner off, only temporary and sure enough, I downshifted around a corner and it backfired, timing was off, next thing I smell smoke and lift the lid and flames are everywhere, I closed the cover and jumped out while it was rolling to the curb.  By the time the FD got there the engine was toast, all the wiring and the carb melted.  Turns out the old original doghouse lid insulation, all oil and gas fume soaked, caught fire.  So for others I say, 1) never run without an air cleaner, even just for a short test and 2) remove any old insulation from the doghouse and replace with modern foil faced type.  Another good tip is to never use a plastic fuel filter, only a sealed metal one and keep it away from the top of the engine. I see so many pics of engines with those plastic see through filters next to the carb right over the manifold....Engine fires in these vans suck, hopefully his was only the starter frying and he can make repairs.

Last edited by Vantasia on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 am

Great Advice guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry,,,, BUT,,,,  the starters on ours never need shimming and there are two different snout lengths of an automatic versus a stick,,,,,,, IF the longer of the two was used it would GRIND and carry on big time and if too short to FULLY engage the flywheel then it could grind or not hit???????
     The starter solenoid on the fire wall is the ONLY thing that can send juice to the starter. Either by not being wired correctly or a faulty ignition switch. EITHER one telling the solenoid to send juice to the starter............ if it was "pinched" and would not dis engage it may not release from the flywheel,   HOWEVER it would WITH THE FLYWHEEL but not continue to turn it over...... Having seen a few NOT disengage and continue to run with the motor as long as the motor was running,,,,,,
      SO,, they may have mis wired the starter solenoid some how to continue to turn over because it was wired to the RUN position instead of the start position???? 
      As far as insurance and the $500 deductible goes,,,, I would say it also depends on WHO you have as a carrier???????  I have AAA and perhaps they are a little bit more in cost but WAY AHEAD of everyone else when it comes to service....
     The problem that we all have with our trucks is the value and the insurance carrier.  I know that "COLLECTOR" insurance can be a real issue..  Limited miles per year, etc, etc, etc,,,,  and if you insure it as a daily driver the blue book is a joke...  With AAA at least they will accept all the RECEIPTS and you have a chance with them?? As I know it they will NOT insure it for a "dollar value".
      Typically, I will ONLY use a plastic filter in a position that the fuel is pulled through it versus in a pressurized fuel line position, like into the carb. They make metal ones that are just fine and will even take you cleaning it out by using compressed air the opposite direction,,, LOL...
      If it were mine and as I also have AAA insurance I would pay the $500 deductible, get the truck fixed by some one else and let AAA go after them for the money,,,  They have the lawyers and the time.  If they win then you shouldn't have any issue in small claims to get the $500 from the shop.
     Vic,,,
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 am

Great advice all, thank you. Nationwide says it will take 45 days to make any kind of payment. Them want to bring in some one to appraise it. Thank God I am anal about saving all receipts, that will help in valuing Goldie.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:14 am

I have Chubb Collector and there is no mileage limit, most collector insurance co.'s have done away with that requirement, unenforceable? and with collector you state a declared value up front so there is a starting point on the total vehicle value and then haggle what percent of that repairs are up to the total value, no or small deductible, so a fire damage of say $1000-2000 to repair would be paid on a vintage vehicle declared at say $10,000 replacement cost even though blue book is zero on an old van, its whatever you say its worth depending on condition. I declared my '64 G-1- at 12K and the rate is still under $200 a year for the insurance with coverage that matches my regular car company policy limits, that's how they do it in NJ, it may vary state to state....
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 am

That's really good to know, as all of us are in a tough position. I would prefer to simply just pay an insurance company a dollar value for what I want in the 1st place. Simple as how much insurance do I want and what will you charge me for it?
    Vic
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 am

Well appraiser came out today to value the van. He is thinking somewhere between $9 and $10k. My agreed value was suppose to be $10k. Waiting to see if they total it our allow me to repair it. I have never been in this type of situation before. Any advice from anybody out there?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Bruce67Econoline wrote:Well appraiser came out today to value the van. He is thinking somewhere between $9 and $10k. My agreed value was suppose to be $10k. Waiting to see if they total it our allow me to repair it. I have never been in this type of situation before. Any advice from anybody out there?

Bruce, I'd be surprised if they total it from an engine fire. I like the guy working on my engine and he even came out to my house to look it over and give me a quote for proposed work first since I didn't want to drive it his way for safety reasons. I would think the appraiser might need more assistance coming up with damage value on the motor.

I can get you hooked up with him. Located in North Charleston. Nick Miley, Miley Motors. He has a FB page. If you like him, you can use him. If you do something else, you at least have knowledge on whether or not the insurance company is paying you enough to redo it.

He can also pull it and make it like new when you receive your check!
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Lazarusvan wrote:
    Bruce67Econoline wrote:Well appraiser came out today to value the van. He is thinking somewhere between $9 and $10k. My agreed value was suppose to be $10k. Waiting to see if they total it our allow me to repair it. I have never been in this type of situation before. Any advice from anybody out there?

Bruce, I'd be surprised if they total it from an engine fire.  I like the guy working on my engine and he even came out to my house to look it over and give me a quote for proposed work first since I didn't want to drive it his way for safety reasons.  I would think the appraiser might need more assistance coming up with damage value on the motor.

I can get you hooked up with him.  Located in North Charleston.  Nick Miley, Miley Motors.  He has a FB page.  If you like him, you can use him.  If you do something else, you at least have knowledge on whether or not the insurance company is paying you enough to redo it.

He can also pull it and make it like new when you receive your check!
    Well I found another 67 in even better shape than mine for a good price. I'm hoping they will total it and hope I can buy it back for a cheap price. Lots of great parts on my old van. I might even come out ahead of the game if I'm lucky, but not likely. Only time will tell.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Good luck Bruce. Hope it all works out well for you!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:35 pm

sorry that this happened. but im glad that it didn't take the whole truck out. hopefully, it all gets resolved as painless as possible.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:25 am

Well I have settled with Nationwide Insurance They valued it at $9800after deductible and buy back of my van they are cutting me a check for $7500.00. I am picking up my new 67 Club Wagon next Saturday. It has new paint and lot's of mechanical work already done. I should have her on the road with in a week depending on weather. Anybody want to buy my old van?
    Question

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am