VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

engine swap vs. engine rebuild

Golden West Kid
    Golden West Kid

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2012-08-13

engine swap vs. engine rebuild Empty engine swap vs. engine rebuild

Post by Golden West Kid Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:58 pm

I've been driving my 64 panel around for years as a shop truck. well, I've finally decided spruce it up. first thing I want to do before body work and paint is possibly swap in a v8 or 300 straight 6. It has the original 170 in it and it is weak and smokes quite a bit on inclines.

I guess my question is, is it even worth considering rebuilding the 170? Is there any way to give it more power on inclines? I drive this over the sierra nevada mountains and I'd like to be able to go more than 30 mph on the extreme inclines over the mountain pass.

would love to hear thoughts.

thanks!
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

engine swap vs. engine rebuild Empty Re: engine swap vs. engine rebuild

Post by jdlaugh Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:49 am

The 200 ci six is a straight swap with your 170 and would offer a nice power boost, and probably the way to go if all you want is improved driveability. Much more work and parts to swap in the V8 or 300.
    Golden West Kid
    Golden West Kid

Post by Golden West Kid Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:08 am

cool. thanks for the advice. i'd like to be able to cruise at 60 on the open highway without it sounding like it was about to explode, that all. and those inclines in the mountains are a real killer.

i just located a guy locally that has lots of early econolines so i have the option to grab a parts donor if need be! thanks again.
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:27 am

If you have easy access to a heavy duty van or pickup with a big six you could snag the 9" rear and motor mount and be well along the way to a V8 swap. Just sayin'.... Never hurts to have too much power Very Happy
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:45 am

I would not spend a dime to rebuild a 170 cubic inch engine when larger displacements will bolt right in place.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:19 am

I agree with everything said. I'll add that one of your problems is the gearing. You've got a 3.5:1 or even 4:1 rear end and a 3 spd trans. You'll do better @ highway speeds with 3.25 or 3:1, Even with a 300 or a 351 you'll have that problem b/c of the gearing. Unfortunately it's not a simple thing to swap a 4 spd into one of these vans, esp with a small 6. Having a 64, in order to put a 300 or V8 in their you will have to swap the doghouse(and/or modify it), cut the floor behind and on the drivers side, Swap the radiator and radiator mount, remove the engine frame mounts and fab and weld in additional mounts on the outside of the frame. Fab and install a trans mount or swap in a later one and install it in the later position. You'll also need a 9" rear end, I'd do that anyway.
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:39 am

I've stumbled across an alternative to the "venerable Ford 9".  I had a lot touble finding one that was in good shape, right width, proper gearing and I also wanted a limited slip or locker.  The 9" in f100 & f150 after 1973 is 65.25" wide.  If I remember correctly the E100's is only 61.25".  Could cause problems.  I snagged a Ford 8.8" out of a Ford Explorer.  I will not contend that it is as strong or as convenient as the 9".  They are plentiful and a lot less expensive.  The width is 59.5"(a little easier to overcome).  With a little shopping you can even get rear disc brakes.  I recommend you get everthing you can.  I got the old driveshaft(Will save me money when it comes time to build the new one.)  The old U bolts and lower brackets.  Sorry to hijack your thread.  Just trying to help you and others save a little money and hassle.  Also, some Jeepers are swapping these in for Rock Crawlers, claim you can run up to 35" tires with it.
    Golden West Kid
    Golden West Kid

Post by Golden West Kid Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:32 pm

thanks guys! taking this all in. So much info. I appreciate all your willingness to share.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:16 am