VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Ddavllc
Rakoll
6 posters

New E 104 owner with questions!

Rakoll
    Rakoll

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2014-08-25

New E 104 owner with questions! Empty New E 104 owner with questions!

Post by Rakoll Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 am

I'm the latest proud owner of a 1964 Econoline Pickup. Living in St. Paul Minnesota, I don't see too many "littermates" around. Any members of this forum from this area? Would like to connect if you are.

My immediate question is around brakes. I would like to update from single chamber master cylinder to dual. Source of the unit is something I am looking to find. Also, if there are known shops to anyone from the area I should talk to, that would be most helpful.

Thanks for reading. Look forward to following this forum.
    Ddavllc
    Ddavllc

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2013-11-07

New E 104 owner with questions! Empty Re: New E 104 owner with questions!

Post by Ddavllc Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Welcome to VV Rakoll. I'm not in your area but I'm sure you'll find someone who is..
    Nice looking truck. I'm sure one of the more knowledgable guy's should chime in on your brake question... You can also look up topics. You should find a post on brakes Very Happy
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome to VV, nice looking truck you have there. The master cylinder you are seeking is from the 1967 econoline. The only year that the dual was offered. If you find a van or truck with one in there, take the master and the pedal assembly and rod that goes into that master and put that hole unit into your truck. It should all bolt right in. Then run your brake lines accordingly to each hole on the master. Now we do have a member in here that (if memory serves) rebuilds these dual masters and I'm sure will chime in. I'm not sure if there is a rebuild kit available locally for these, if you decide to rebuild one yourself...more knowledgeable folks will chime in with more info.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 pm

welcome!
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. Magic bus has a D&D dual master cylinder for sale in the e van for sale section. I believe it's for drum to drum.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 am

Welcome to VV Rakoll
      Nice truck!!    Just a little info for you as a new member..  
        64 was the change year and still considered an early.  We generally consider our Econolines in two groups with the 61 to 64's considered as an early, and the 65 to 67's considered a late. The reason for the 64 also considered the change year, when Ford stepped up with improvements and then continued better improvements in 65 to the last year of production in 67. You will also hear quite often the term "GENII" which is referring to the 68 to 74 Econoline series.
      As you follow the threads you will get more acquainted with features particular for each year, of which there is a lot to learn. Basically,,,,,,,,,, the 65 to 67's with some major differences that are mostly influenced by adding a bigger motor as an option,, the "BIG SIX" which was a 240 inline six in order to compete with Dodge and Chevy.
      In order to use the larger motor,,, a taller doghouse with a hump in the rear of it for bell housing clearance, a real cross member that goes under the motor from frame rail to frame rail and a stronger transmission mount were introduced. Also some other additions but you will or should catch on to those as you listen and read about them.
      Yours was the 1st year to introduce the C4 automatic transmission and as the 240  was not available until 65 the largest motor available most commonly being the 170. Some rumors and so on of different years having the "200", but for the most part of conversation I would consider that if you had one it had been installed by someone.
      The small sixes are easily identified by an intake manifold that is cast as part of the cylinder head and does not unbolt. Small sixes considered as a 144, 170, and the 200. One other also considered as a "SMALL SIX" being the 250, however it using the "BIG SIX" bellhousing pattern and a much taller engine. Like I said, many other things for you to read about and learn,, so enough of that from me for right now.  LOL... The "BIG SIX" 240 with an intake manifold that UNBOLTS and a taller motor, the reason for the doghouse design change in 65 with a taller doghouse and the rear hump in the back of it.
     Beginning in 63 there was also an OPTION of a HEAVY DUTY, which basically the major improvement of a larger and stronger rear axle called the FORD 9".  In addition to being stronger, it also having larger brakes. This continued until 1967 and was standard on any Econoline that had the "BIG SIX" larger motor. Normal engine/rear axle package for the small six was the smaller rear axle as it didn't need to be as strong. It using 2" brake pads instead of the 9"er with 2 1/2" brakes. The easiest way to tell the differences for you would be to simply look at the back of the rear axle. If it has a cover plate with bolts,, its the smaller rear axle, if there are bolts on the front of it, then its the 9" and the gear package commonly called the 3rd member that has the gears in it, simply comes in and out of the rear axle making gear changes much easier.
      In 1967 among some other Federal mandates,,, all manufacturers had to have a DUAL circuit braking setup.  This intended as a back up of one to the other. If you loose your brakes on a single system you have NO brakes,, on  a dual system if you loose one side then you still have the other circuit to stop you. Circuits designed as a FRONT circuit and a REAR circuit, two separate circuits combined into one master cylinder,,  IE:  THE ONE YEAR ONLY, ONE VEHICLE ONLY dual circuit master cylinder. Because of using two circuits almost every manufacturer of any vehicle had to change the brake light switch from the "earlies" pressure type switch over to a mechanical switch to make it easier. If you were having a braking issue, its nice to also have brake lights to tell people you are in trouble.... LOL...
      Many more things to explain in regards to it and the different pedal and so on,, but right now just wanted to say hello and introduce you to some basics...
     I do "REBUILD" these masters to include re-sleeving them, also Disc brakes and all kinds of conversion parts to include some repro items. V8 engine cross members, sheet metal and just about anything you can think about....  Not important right now,, as you have much to learn,,, you will also find Tim in Kentucky an excellent source of information as well as everyone on the site,, its a great bunch of fellow "ECONOHEADS"   LOL

Vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:54 pm